PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2014 mock draft FAIL thread

OK, now I know that draftsite.com is either fundamentally flawed or just trolling. . . .

1. Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
2. Calvin Pryor* S Louisville
3. Antone Exum CB Virginia Tech

:enranged:

RealGM Football: Encroachment: 2014 NFL Mock Draft, Version 4.0 (Post Senior Bowl Edition)

29. New England Patriots: Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh--Fresh off an outstanding Senior Bowl, Donald vaults himself into the first round as a dynamic interior pass rusher. He’s undersized, but Team Belichick values football players and Donald is a straight baller.

62. New England Patriots: Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State

93. New England Patriots: Jared Abbrederis, WR, Wisconsin

This is like a great tuxedo, a pair of jeans, and bunny slippers. They're all good individually, but they don't belong together.

Some people will probably argue this one but for me it's a fail.

1. Nix
2. Amaro
3. McCarron
4. Josh Huff, WR, Oregon

WalterFootball.com: 2014 NFL Mock Draft - Charlie Campbell

I'd take that mock just because the value of picks 1 and 2 are too good to pass up and hits both our needs.

Also, if we do take McCarron in the 3rd round it means we traded Mallett away for something which is a plus in my book too. No way the drafter is stupid enough to have the Pats taking a 3rd string QB in the 3rd round, surely.

I'd take that mock just because the value of picks 1 and 2 are too good to pass up and hits both our needs.

Also, if we do take McCarron in the 3rd round it means we traded Mallett away for something which is a plus in my book too. No way the drafter is stupid enough to have the Pats taking a 3rd string QB in the 3rd round, surely.

I just don't love any of the four prospects.

I just don't love any of the four prospects.

I don't either but I can rationalise the first two and think McCarron could be a good back up. It's okay for me but no better than that.

If the Pats got Aaron Donald at 29, they could draft Jerry Jones at 62 and Jim Irsay at 93, and I still wouldn't consider it a "fail".

If the Patriots sent 29, 62 & 93 to Dallas and draft Donald @ 16 I think you would fly to Dallas and do things to Jerry Jones that would get me banned for mentioning. :eek::D:eek::D

I don't either but I can rationalise the first two and think McCarron could be a good back up. It's okay for me but no better than that.

I can rationalize it and see it happening which makes me sick. :(

If the Patriots sent 29, 62 & 93 to Dallas and draft Donald @ 16 I think you would fly to Dallas and do things to Jerry Jones that would get me banned for mentioning. :eek::D:eek::D

There are limits to what even I will do. :eek:

My dream draft scenario would look something like:

- DT Aaron Donald, with Dominique Easley as a backup plan
- TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins
- OL Joel Bitonio
- LB Jordan Tripp or Christian Jones
- DB Antone Exum
- DB Phillip Gaines

Plus a few late round picks. I have no idea how to get all of those guys (even with a far-fetched Mallett trade), so I start figuring out how to get a reasonable subset of those guys and/or go to backup options (day 3 TE, Trai Turner as a OG, etc.).

My dream draft scenario would look something like:

- DT Aaron Donald, with Dominique Easley as a backup plan
- TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins
- OL Joel Bitonio
- LB Jordan Tripp or Christian Jones
- DB Antone Exum
- DB Phillip Gaines

Plus a few late round picks. I have no idea how to get all of those guys (even with a far-fetched Mallett trade), so I start figuring out how to get a reasonable subset of those guys and/or go to backup options (day 3 TE, Trai Turner as a OG, etc.).

As you know, we have a lot of the same targets. My guess, alas, is that all three of Easley, Seferian-Jenkins and Bitonio will be gone by 63. :cry2: So in my latest shot at the draft simulator I had to pick one of them, and I went with ASJ. As the team is currently composed, a stud TE could make an enormous impact.

My consolation prize at DT was Caraun Reid in the middle rounds, and I went tentatively with Marcus Martin for the OL (still have to think about that more). But Jordan Tripp is becoming a constant in every mock. He just makes a ton of sense.

As you know, we have a lot of the same targets. My guess, alas, is that all three of Easley, Seferian-Jenkins and Bitonio will be gone by 63. :cry2: So in my latest shot at the draft simulator I had to pick one of them, and I went with ASJ. As the team is currently composed, a stud TE could make an enormous impact.

My consolation prize at DT was Caraun Reid in the middle rounds, and I went tentatively with Marcus Martin for the OL (still have to think about that more). But Jordan Tripp is becoming a constant in every mock. He just makes a ton of sense.

The first time I watched him, I wasn't that impressed. And then OTG and Mayo enthused about him so I went back and took another look and they were spot on. Rare talent for the position. My only concern is that I don't think BB is taking a raw 20yr old jnr from USC. Hope I'm wrong because he could lock down the position for a decade and a half.

Realistically, I see no way of getting everyone, so I'm willing to make some hard choices. My personal ones:

1. I'm willing to trade up for Donald using up to #62. I don't expect ASJ to be available that late, and I think there's a good chance Bitonio will be gone.

2. If I can't trade up for Donald, then I take Easley at 29, or preferably with a trade back. I don't believe he'll be available much past 40. I've even heard some discussion about him as a possible target for Dallas at 16 is Donald is off the board, though I have no clue if it is credible.

3. Like you, I see LB depth as an important need. I want one of Jordan Tripp / Christian Jones at #93, and am hoping at one of the two will be available.

4. I'm willing to settle for Trai Turner day 3 as a Bitonio consolation prize.

5. I'm willing to settle for a day 3 TE as an ASJ consolation prize. I like Jake Murphy a lot. There are plenty of day 3 "move TE"/H-back options, as we've already discussed.

6. I'm hoping that one of Exum/Gaines will be available in the 4th round. I have a hard time believing that both will be.

7. I am still holding out hope for a Mallett trade, as I'd love to have a little more draft capital to work with.

Realistically, I see no way of getting everyone, so I'm willing to make some hard choices. My personal ones:

1. I'm willing to trade up for Donald using up to #62. I don't expect ASJ to be available that late, and I think there's a good chance Bitonio will be gone.

2. If I can't trade up for Donald, then I take Easley at 29, or preferably with a trade back. I don't believe he'll be available much past 40. I've even heard some discussion about him as a possible target for Dallas at 16 is Donald is off the board, though I have no clue if it is credible.

3. Like you, I see LB depth as an important need. I want one of Jordan Tripp / Christian Jones at #93, and am hoping at one of the two will be available.

4. I'm willing to settle for Trai Turner day 3 as a Bitonio consolation prize.

5. I'm willing to settle for a day 3 TE as an ASJ consolation prize. I like Jake Murphy a lot. There are plenty of day 3 "move TE"/H-back options, as we've already discussed.

6. I'm hoping that one of Exum/Gaines will be available in the 4th round. I have a hard time believing that both will be.

7. I am still holding out hope for a Mallett trade, as I'd love to have a little more draft capital to work with.

I'm pretty much sold on Hageman in the first if he's there although I'm starting to think that won't happen. Shazier, Ward and ASJ are my next choices, preferably with a trade down and then Tuitt with a definite trade down.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back