PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Official 2011 Senior Bowl thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round two. Latest I've read said if he produces an impressive 40 he'll eek into round one. His week of practices has shown no negatives.

Love to have him on board with Price, as I consider the position a priority need. Round two seems to be BB's favorite for WRs (thrice), but I think it will take #33 for Hankerson.

I don't like this guy at all. He has no suddenness or explosiveness and he rounds off routes. Hes not quick and takes a long time to build up speed. I think his hands suck. I have seen him drop a lot of balls in Miami games. Hes not a deep threat at all and isnt shifty or elusive after the catch.

Because that's about all he could do, and a situational pass-rusher who only has one more isn't worth the pick that he'll be taken with.

I don't think he's a fit for our system. But, if you think that's all he can do. I suggest you watch their upset over Oklahoma. Played 90 plays. Led 2 goal-line stands. And, tackled D.Murray one on one in the flats on a screen inside the 10. The best single game performance I saw all year except for a couple of Fairley's games.

I agree. People on this board need to realize there are other ways to do win other then the way the Patriots do. Pitt has won two super bowls with their one gap zone blitzing scheme and they are in the SB again this year with that scheme.

And with LaMarr Woodley unrestricted, pending the CBA, I could see Pittsburgh letting him walk and picking up a guy like Miller (or actually Miller with a huge trade-up) to shuffle in the lineup.

I agree. People on this board need to realize there are other ways to do win other then the way the Patriots do. Pitt has won two super bowls with their one gap zone blitzing scheme and they are in the SB again this year with that scheme.
I think we're all well aware of that. The issue isn't how many ways you can win but which players is Belichick going to want for his defense. The reality is that although an aggressive one gap blitzing 3-4 works just fine, Belichick isn't likely to suddenly switch to that so those players likely aren't going to be drafted by us.

And with LaMarr Woodley unrestricted, pending the CBA, I could see Pittsburgh letting him walk and picking up a guy like Miller (or actually Miller with a huge trade-up) to shuffle in the lineup.

I would like to see the Pats make a strong play for Woodley, especially if a contract can't be negotiated with Mankins.

I don't know anything about scouting or projecting players in the nfl. However watching Miller, Quinn, Clayborn, A Smith, Bower and Watt on television, Miller appeared to be the most consistent at rushing the passer. I guess if BB is willing to use CB (Arrington) to rush the passer and then why not Miller ?

Von Miller is just way too small and light in the pants. He's about 15 lbs lighter than Matthews was at this time of year. I see Miller as a star player at 4-3 OLB. He might be able to transition to 3-4 OLB but he'd never be able to stand up against the run with his size facing up against offensive linemen or even the more athletic tight ends that are now in the NFL.

Pittsburgh is picking 31 or 32. They are in no position to draft Von Miller unless they trade away their whole draft, which they won't do. The Steelers seem to consistently find good linebackers regardless of draft position. They don't feel they have to move up to get a talented LB who will fit in their system. We've seen them let linebackers like Woodley walk away time after time, yet their defense still stays consistently at the top.

Last edited:
I'd take Woodley off Pitt's hands in a heartbeat. He fits, he always has. I bet if you took every mock from this board from the year he was drafted you would of found Woodleys name on them between round 2 and 3. Probably the most agreed upon name in our mock history.

2nd I think would of been the safety from San Diego, Eric Weddle. Quite agreed upon as well.

I think we're all well aware of that. The issue isn't how many ways you can win but which players is Belichick going to want for his defense. The reality is that although an aggressive one gap blitzing 3-4 works just fine, Belichick isn't likely to suddenly switch to that so those players likely aren't going to be drafted by us.

Agreed.

I did some research on this for another thread. In terms of points allowed, BB's defense has remained in at least the top 8 in spite of undergoing a nearly complete roster turnover in the past three seasons. Among the front seven, we had only three players left on the roster from 2007: Wilfork, Ty Warren and Mike Wright. Aside from those three, TBC and Ninkovich, the average NFL experience level of our core front seven is two years.

Meanwhile, the Steelers' front seven core group includes only one guy drafted since 2007 - Ziggy Hood. Aside from Hood, Timmons and Woodley, the average age of their front seven core is 33. So, I'm wondering if their scheme stays in the top 8 if they undergo sudden roster turnover to the extreme that the Pats have.

I would like to see the Pats make a strong play for Woodley, especially if a contract can't be negotiated with Mankins.

yes...i would much rather have a vet OLB rather than waiting on a rookie to learn. I thinl DL and DB is the best place to draft...but at LB, i would rather a vet

is this game on NFL Network...ugh.

My first half thoughts is that this game is terrible!!!The north sucks!!Jake Locker is sliding into the 3rd or 4th round!!!Hankerson is looking very good out there!!

My first half thoughts is that this game is terrible!!!The north sucks!!Jake Locker is sliding into the 3rd or 4th round!!!Hankerson is looking very good out there!!

Jake made a big mistake not coming out last year. Going to cost himself millions of dollars. He can make it up if he becomes a successful qb in the NFL. He has a long way to go though.

Beal is looking less appealing with his offsides.

Beal is looking less appealing with his offsides.
So are you saying you'd not be inclined to draft a player because he jumped off sides? :confused:

Just started watching the Senior Bowl. So who has been the most dominating DL this game. And which OL has looked the best in pass protection/run blocking? Announcer giving some love to RG Hudson.

Ballard showing some good feet, pursuing the QB after the play breaks down.
Burney, looks like a ballhawk type nickelback. I like him any time on Day 3 for the Pats.

Phil Taylor just embrassed the OG and laid a big lick on the QB.
Niles Paul putting a lick on the returner in kick coverage. And he's a wideout?

Last edited:
Hankerson looks like he could be a #1 wideout in the NFL. I like what I've heard about him in practice and what he's done in the game.

Wow Locker is inaccurate. Leaving his receivers hanging out to dry.
That 4th and 1 play went nowhere.
It shouldn't have gotten to that point if the WR had been alert enough to stick the ball out in front of the marker before running out of bounds.

So who stands out for you from this year's Senior Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes