PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

* Off The Grid's Official Rant & Rave Thread ~ 2013 Version!! *

This draft was a joke. We'll continue to rule the AFC East while we have TFB. But, he isn't getting that 4th Lombardi. I think BB is stretched too thin. Coach and GM for 13 years. Who the hell recommended the two Rutgers players? His kid? Who went to Rutgers.

I'm on board up until Durant. I think Collins, Dobson, and Ryan were all late second-early third guys. Then a guy I've never heard of, with three highlights: one making a tackle after getting driven four yards backward, one making a diving tackle and getting dragged a bit, and a special teams touchdown.

I like that BB has his staff do scouting from scratch, but I hope the guy who cut up the highlight package was lazy.

Great Reflexes, too. :snob:

I know.

It's not really funny.

I'm just having...An Episode. :eek:

Plus: I really do like Duran Duran!! :D :bricks:

I was in a decent mood until that last pick. My only consolation is there are still some decent Wr's on the board. I'm just hoping we grab somebody like Quinton Patton with the early 4th rounder. Once again though I'm pissed that the Ravens got another guy I wanted in Brandon Williams.

Maybe take a chance on the LSU DB who got arrested last night in the 7th.

I was in a decent mood until that last pick. My only consolation is there are still some decent Wr's on the board. I'm just hoping we grab somebody like Quinton Patton with the early 4th rounder. Once again though I'm pissed that the Ravens got another guy I wanted in Brandon Williams.

Maybe take a chance on the LSU DB who got arrested last night in the 7th.

In the words ~ more'r less ~ of Rick Jarmin: Sounds like a real @$$Hole!!

Let's sign'm UP!! :D :rocker:

#52 > MF Arthur Brown

#59 > TE Travis Kelce

#83 > XE Jordan Reed

#91 > DT Brandon Williams

My GOD, what a Dream Draft that would've been...

Still available...My Personal Favorites, from my Perspective:

HB John Franklin ~ 2nd Round Grade

FL Quint Patton ~ 1st Round Grade

OC Brian Schwenke ~ 2nd Round Grade

SE DaRick Rogers ~ 1st/2nd Round Grade

OC Barrett Jones ~ 2nd Round Grade

FS Josh Evans ~ 2nd Round Grade

DF DeVonte Holloman ~ 2nd Round Grade

XB Marcus Lattimore ~ 1st Round Grade

OT Reid Fragel ~ 2nd Round Grade

SS Duke Williams ~ 2nd Round Grade

XB Kerwynn Williams ~ 2nd Round Grade

SE Corey Fuller ~ 2nd Round Grade

MF Keith Pough ~ 2nd Round Grade

OG Joe Tretter ~ 2nd Round Grade

QB Ryan Griffin ~ 1st Round Grade

XB Latavius Murray ~ 2nd Round Grade

QB Sean Renfree ~ 1st Round Grade

...And several excellent UFA Prospects who should be targeted later...

I had to step out after our 1st pick.

What is the consensus about how we have drafted? Just looking at names in the 3rd i am a little annoyed we didn't end up with Allen or Weaton. I am also not really up to date with Jamie Colins.

Those who have an educated opinion of these guys. What has been your thoughts? I just didn't want to have to sift through the knee jerk's of people who don't know the names of the picks so therefore they must be bad picks.

I had to step out after our 1st pick.

What is the consensus about how we have drafted? Just looking at names in the 3rd i am a little annoyed we didn't end up with Allen or Weaton. I am also not really up to date with Jamie Colins.

Those who have an educated opinion of these guys. What has been your thoughts? I just didn't want to have to sift through the knee jerk's of people who don't know the names of the picks so therefore they must be bad picks.

One Man's Opinions ~ Reports Posted before the Draft:

#52 ~ DF Jamie Collins ~ 3rd Round Grade ~ for a 344 Defense.

#59 ~ SE Aaron Dobson ~ 6th Round Grade.

#83 ~ CB Logan Ryan ~ (No Report) ~ 5th Round Grade.

#91 ~ SS Duran Harmon ~ (No Report) ~ UFA Grade.

i dont think you will never have a "tom brady" in this draft again. its a gift from the gods and its one of a kind.

I'm on board up until Durant. I think Collins, Dobson, and Ryan were all late second-early third guys. Then a guy I've never heard of, with three highlights: one making a tackle after getting driven four yards backward, one making a diving tackle and getting dragged a bit, and a special teams touchdown.

I like that BB has his staff do scouting from scratch, but I hope the guy who cut up the highlight package was lazy.

You forgot about his amazing ball skills. He got an interception on a play where the receiver was already laying on the ground. The ball hits the wr and pops up into the air right in Harmon's hands. I'm telling ya, the next Ed Reed.

Bore off man... remember Tom Brady, yeah? He was a 6th rounder and look how that turned out.

Deluded, your mocks every year are ****, none of the players ever do anything in the nfl.

You should probably take something for that. ;)

Bore off man... remember Tom Brady, yeah? He was a 6th rounder and look how that turned out.

Deluded, your mocks every year are ****, none of the players ever do anything in the nfl.
I need to shout this from the rooftop, fellow Pats fans: We owe an eternal debt of gratitude to the late, great **** Rehbein for our drafting of Touchdown Tommie Brady.

Memory of Brady's first QB coach lives on - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

That's wasn't Bill, that was **** who urged us to take Brady in the sixth round.

Last edited:
I'm on board up until Durant.

That's exactly where I am.

Collins was a surprise, but after years of begging for athletic freaks who can get after the quarterback, no complaints at all. Plus a converted DB is a nice addition to a LB squad with questionable coverage talent. He was also a consensus 2nd rounder noted in many places as rising, so can't argue on the "value" part of the equation, either.

Dobson was a WR I coveted. Not everybody agrees, but WR is always divisive (and historically, the single hardest position to evaluate). Good size, good body control and athleticism, plays disciplined, and incredible hands. End of the 2nd was the right spot, too, since receivers were coming off the board.

Ryan was a solid pick at a need position. Nice player who should really help depth, which is just what you hope to find in round 3 -- and with a run on DBs in full swing, there was no time to lose.

Now in round 4, Boyce is exactly the kind of waterbug we all said would be a good complement to Dobson. Not my first choice but one I certainly understand and can get excited about.

Then there's "that guy." I will not even attempt to defend that pick.

Realistically, does a bizarro-land choice at the end of the 3rd round make this a "bad draft"? Of course not. But it casts a pall, and gives ammo to those determined to paint the Pats' draft record as much, much worse than it actually is.

Last edited:
That's exactly where I am.

Collins was a surprise, but after years of begging for athletic freaks who can get after the quarterback, no complaints at all. Plus a converted DB is a nice addition to a LB squad with questionable coverage talent. He was also a consensus 2nd rounder noted in many places as rising, so can't argue on the "value" part of the equation, either.

Dobson was a WR I coveted. Not everybody agrees, but WR is always divisive (and historically, the single hardest position to evaluate). Good size, good body control and athleticism, plays disciplined, and incredible hands. End of the 2nd was the right spot, too, since receivers were coming off the board.

Ryan was a solid pick at a need position. Nice player who should really help depth, which is just what you hope to find in round 3 -- and with a run on DBs in full swing, there was no time to lose.

Now in round 4, Boyce is exactly the kind of waterbug we all said would be a good complement to Dobson. Not my first choice but one I certainly understand and can get excited about.

Then there's "that guy." I will not even attempt to defend that pick.

Realistically, does a bizarro-land choice at the end of the 3rd round make this a "bad draft"? Of course not. But it casts a pall, and gives ammo to those determined to paint the Pats' draft record as much, much worse than it actually is.

I like Boyce a lot, and as we don't have a fifth, I'm OK with taking him a little early. Of note, 2 WRs came off the board between Harmon and Boyce, no DBs. I hope BB wasn't planning on Bailey or Sanders at 102.

Why didn't we get Patton who is an established route runner, has good hands, and is compared to Reggie Wayne, a receiver we targeted last year during free agency.

Why didn't we get Patton who is an established route runner, has good hands, and is compared to Reggie Wayne, a receiver we targeted last year during free agency.

I don't know, and it frustrates me. Dobson isn't a great route runner and has had difficulty separating in college, how the hell is he going to separate in the NFL?

Because Bill Belichick and 31 other teams didn't think he was Reggie Wayne until SF took him.

Some scouts were concerned about his ability to beat press in the pros and his 8 reps doesn't dispel that.

I wouldn't of minded drafting him to find out. Great hands.

We are now halfway through the fifth, and Harmon is still the lowest-graded pick of the draft according to NFL.com. One player is ungraded.

Because Bill Belichick and 31 other teams didn't think he was Reggie Wayne until SF took him.

Some scouts were concerned about his ability to beat press in the pros and his 8 reps doesn't dispel that.

I wouldn't of minded drafting him to find out. Great hands.

He can get stronger. This is a humble football player, a willing run blocker, has great hands, and a crisp route runner. You take a chance on that especially in the 4th round.

Now I could be wrong and he may never be good in the NFL but I have a feeling he's going to be phenomenal.

Probably because they don't feel he has the intelligence needed to work with TFB. Being a NE receiver probably isn't easy with the need to read coverages, learn a complex play book, play up tempo etc

Ocho, Tate, Lloyd etc couldn't get it

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back