PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Not a bad 2015 offensive start for B's. Is there something heree?

Rhodey

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
No I didn't have a lot of competitive hope for this team as players were being thrown around to see if they might stick in this year's rendition of the Boston Bruins. Actually, I had one of those "here we go, again" attitudes that represents a few rights spots for the season with a lot of ho-hums.

The 0-3 start had a lot of bracing for the storm. They were bad; losing at home; giving away leads; not playing for 3 periods and terrible in their defensive end. Oddly, Brad Marchand made a statement that totally reneged this melee. He believes it was a couple of steps towards something much better; that the B's would be really good this year- just wait and see. And he just doesn't seem like the type of player that throws that stuff around. Maybe he's right?

The B's are scoring this year. It's always fun when your team scores a lot, even if they lose. And most of the B's teams under Claude have not been league leaders in the GF column. Right now, the B's have 33 goals with only 8 games played; 3 behind league-leading Montreal (9-1) who lost their first game last night, after winning 9 in a row. Translation: this B's team is amongst the leaders in goals scored and would most likely be the leader if they had played 2 more games. Well, I'm surprised. I didn't guess they'd be lighting up the lamp this much. Perhaps, I'm too used to them struggling on that part of their game, as they point to their defensive strengths year after year? And I like it.

So let's just say that this team can keep up the scoring trend; be consistent through the year. Where does that sit them? Without the wins, they're not going to strut their collective scoring touch in April. And that would be a missed opportunity for all. So, what are they missing? And what can we anticipate as the season unfolds?

I'm looking at two young D-men that I believe are top-4 prospects, as they work it all out in positions 5 and 6. Of course, that would be Colin Miller and Joe Morrow. We've been hearing about Morrow longer, because he's been with the franchise, since the Seguin deal. And Miller came via the Looch deal; one who is not only fast with a booming shot, but has contributed big times at every prior level. If these two "get it" early, the B's will take off; have their 6 D-men to compliment an offense that promising and blossoming.

The two big questions we came into the season with for many are: 1) Can they score? 2) Will their defense be good enough to win games. And when they started out 0-3, we said: No. And they are horrible on defense; we won't win enough games- playing like that -to qualify for the play-offs...another development year. Ho-hum. And the problem does not look fixable in regards to cap space, etc...

Funny things can happen to teams that know they can score a lot. And when the league reminds them that they are doing it better than the rest, then there is a lot of confidence and incentive to pay attention to the total game, as well. Typically when that happens, good teams develop and win a lot.

Of course, it's way early. And injuries happen. Regardless, I'm definitely more interested in a team that can score, as opposed to one that gets behind and never gets back into the game from that point on (i.e. last year's team). Let's hope the scoring continues and improves. In addition, keep your eyes on those two youngsters on the blue-line; #5 & #6. They are going to get a lot better and other teams will be looking to acquire them in trades. Hopefully, the B's will say "no" in advance.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back