PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

No more gonzo / head scratcher picks?

FredFromDartmouth

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Have the Patriots entered an era of sensible, predictable draft picks? I suspect so, but I will miss the days of hearing this announcement: "After trading out of the first round, the Patriots have selected Bubba Bazinga from Mooseknuckle Saskatchewan, a special teams play with a background in juggling..." and watching for the Patriots draftniks go nuts.....

Obviously the sensible early round draft picks this year would be WR, OL, TE, etc., but in the BB era the first pick would be something like a safety or defensive tackle. Ah, the good ole' days and that is why BB lost his job, not his on-field coaching.

Only if you know the proper Canadian pronunciation...
deadpool GIF by Deadpool's Fun Sack

I'll never forget when I thought Bill finally grew out of this, by taking Chandler and Hightower in the 1st round in 2012...

Until he took Tavon Wilson in the second round the next day. :rofl:

While O-line and WR were obvious needs, Gonzalez wasn't a head scratcher as the secondary was/is weak.

Many wanted to anoint him after a few games using selective stats, but he was among CB's who were giving up the most total yards until he got injured. Now he's coming off of an injury.

While O-line and WR were obvious needs, Gonzalez wasn't a head scratcher as the secondary was/is weak.

Many wanted to anoint him after a few games using selective stats, but he was among CB's who were giving up the most total yards until he got injured. Now he's coming off of an injury.
He was rookie of the month before he got hurt. That is why people were hype

Do you have a reference for this? He only played in 3+ games facing PHI, MIA, and NYJ, but from my memory, he was absolutely stellar.

Do you have a reference for this? He only played in 3+ games facing PHI, MIA, and NYJ, but from my memory, he was absolutely stellar.

These were the selective stats I was referring to. The total yards to other players weren’t good. They were posted on pro football reference and it obviously changes throughout the season since his injury as more games are played. What you see as his total stats were at the time at the bottom of the NFL. I had posted about this very early in the season.

These were the selective stats I was referring to. The total yards to other players weren’t good. They were posted on pro football reference and it obviously changes throughout the season since his injury as more games are played. What you see as his total stats were at the time at the bottom of the NFL.
Thanks. It's selective but against the best WRs in the game. I am honestly curious about the other stats you're referring to. If you have a link that'd be helpful.

Hurts had 170 passing yards (126yds to AJ and DS but Gonzo gave up 69 of those), Tua had 249yds (40 to Hill and 86 to Waddle with no more than 35 to anyone else), and Milfson had 157yds (no one outside of GWilson had over 40yds). I'm not sure how Gonzo could've been so "weren't good," but if you have data, I'd honestly love it.

Thanks. It's selective but against the best WRs in the game. I am honestly curious about the other stats you're referring to. If you have a link that'd be helpful.

Hurts had 170 passing yards (126yds to AJ and DS but Gonzo gave up 69 of those), Tua had 249yds (40 to Hill and 86 to Waddle with no more than 35 to anyone else), and Milfson had 157yds (no one outside of GWilson had over 40yds). I'm not sure how Gonzo could've been so "weren't good," but if you have data, I'd honestly love it.
You'll find his stats here. Again, they are updated every week. You can't go back to see what players were giving up yards from weeks 1-3 so I can't prove he was among the worst. He gave up 225 yards in only 3 games averaging 75 yards per game. This contradicts the tweets from Lazar which makes it seem like nobody is catching passes on him. I'm not saying he's lying, just it's not a complete picture.

You'll find his stats here. Again, they are updated every week. You can't go back to see what players were giving up yards from weeks 1-3 so I can't prove he was among the worst. He gave up 225 yards in only 3 games averaging 75 yards per game. This contradicts the tweets from Lazar which makes it seem like nobody is catching passes on him. I'm not saying he's lying, just it's not a complete picture.

Very interesting stuff. Thanks!

I'll never forget when I thought Bill finally grew out of this, by taking Chandler and Hightower in the 1st round in 2012...

Until he took Tavon Wilson in the second round the next day. :rofl:
Not counting what Gonzo might turn into, it just gets worse for BB. A lot of bad first rounders since Chandler/Hightower and I used to think he was good with round 1 (Seymor, Warren, Wilfork, McCourtey, Mankins, Mayo). Then past 2013:

29​
Dominique Easley
DT
Florida
32​
Malcom Brown
DT
Texas
No pick
Pick forfeited[AL]
No pick
Pick traded to New Orleans Saints[AM]
23​
Isaiah Wynn
T
GeorgiaPick received from Los Angeles Rams[AN]
31​
Sony Michel
RB
Georgia
32​
N'Keal Harry
WR
Arizona State
No pick
Moved down draft order in trade with Los Angeles Chargers[AO]
15​
Mac Jones
QB
Alabama
29​
Cole Strange
G
ChattanoogaMoved down draft order in trade with Kansas City Chiefs[AP]
17​
Christian Gonzalez
DB
OregonMoved down draft order in trade with Pittsburgh Steelers[AQ]

Very interesting stuff. Thanks!
To be fair, a rookie going against two of the top receivers in the league ( Hill, Brown, duh) is going to give up yards. Lots of DBs, even experienced ones were burned by them....

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back