PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Cool Link Nice breakdown of Terrance Mitchell last year

Links to cool things
Great CBs are so rare.

You realize that when you don't have one.

Good posters here are so rare.

You must realize that because you aren’t one.

Tell us again how Mac was a terrible pick at 15. Take a seat and listen up everyone..
1656544062103.gif

Last edited:
Good posters here are so rare.

You must realize that because you aren’t one.

Tell us again how Mac was a terrible pick at 15. Take a seat and listen up everyone..
View attachment 43674
I said that I dont like Alabama QBs because they are on all-star teams. Also, that I am on the fence whether Mac is the guy.

Some posters are dim 1 watt bulbs. You can relate.

I expect that if Mitchell has any untapped potential, BB will get it out of him. But at 30 the question is how much could be left untapped, and what would that ceiling look like anyway? Still, if he's your Jason McCourty (in role, not in overall talent) where he's the 4th CB coming in to spell and backup the starting outside guys, I think I'd feel fine with that, given the strength they have at safety. For that to happen though, one of Butler or Jones is going to have to win that #1 job, with Mills sliding in as #2.

I expect that if Mitchell has any untapped potential, BB will get it out of him. But at 30 the question is how much could be left untapped, and what would that ceiling look like anyway? Still, if he's your Jason McCourty (in role, not in overall talent) where he's the 4th CB coming in to spell and backup the starting outside guys, I think I'd feel fine with that, given the strength they have at safety. For that to happen though, one of Butler or Jones is going to have to win that #1 job, with Mills sliding in as #2.

There is a reason Jack Jones was playing with the 1st team. If Gilmore and Jackson were here, Jack Jones would not take 1st team snaps. I hope Jack Jones is a superstar, but at the moment he is playing because we need CB help.

Let’s also not forget Marcus Jones.
Kid is a playmaker with the ball in his hands and a sure tackler.
Should also be our kick and Punt returner.
The issue is he projects to pretty much be exactly the type of corner as Jonathan Jones, and I don't know about playing them both at the same time given the size issue it would create.

Maybe one of them can make the leap to outside corner despite being barely taller than me.

I said that I dont like Alabama QBs because they are on all-star teams. Also, that I am on the fence whether Mac is the guy.

Some posters are dim 1 watt bulbs. You can relate.
Joe Burrow was on an All Star team in college, so what... it doesn't change they both QB's played at an extraordinarily high rate of efficiency.

The issue is he projects to pretty much be exactly the type of corner as Jonathan Jones, and I don't know about playing them both at the same time given the size issue it would create.

Maybe one of them can make the leap to outside corner despite being barely taller than me.
They'd sooner move Jon Jones out on the edge. Shaun Wade is a dark horse contender to get some snaps out there as well.

I'm more concerned about the defensive front and LB'ers, particularly the LB'ers and OLB's.

If there's no pass rush or pressure the defensive backfield is going to be in trouble, if they create pressure the CB's will be fine.

Losing Jonathan Jones at the end of last season was certainly a contributor to the defense's collapse. Having him back with his likely successor also in place (Marcus Jones) is a good thing.

The CB position is open for anyone.
sounds like a bumper sticker

The Jones boys are all locks, as well as Mills.

So, the "anyone" can only apply to the last one or two CB positions.

That being said, there is stiff competition among Mitchell, Butler, Wade, Williams and Bryant.
===========
As an aside, I suspect that Butler will give it a go, and then retire as a patriot.

So, the "anyone" can only apply to the last one or two CB positions.
I was referring to starting. Both positions on the outside are open.

I was referring to starting. Both positions on the outside are open.
ok
Personally, I don't particularly care who is the starting lineup. I am more interested in who has more reps late in the season.

Losing Jonathan Jones at the end of last season was certainly a contributor to the defense's collapse. Having him back with his likely successor also in place (Marcus Jones) is a good thing.

Yeah I wouldn't expect to see both Jonathan & Marcus on the field at the same time very often unless they're facing a double-Slot formation or something... Marcus should we hope become Jonathan's backup / understudy / successor, of which we definitely needed a better version than Myles of Space Bryant... 4 of Butler / Mitchell / Mills / Jack Jones / SloJoe / Wade will handle the outside stuff...

Yeah I wouldn't expect to see both Jonathan & Marcus on the field at the same time very often unless they're facing a double-Slot formation or something... Marcus should we hope become Jonathan's backup / understudy / successor, of which we definitely needed a better version than Myles of Space Bryant... 4 of Butler / Mitchell / Mills / Jack Jones / SloJoe / Wade will handle the outside stuff...
Agreed, Marcus is the understudy to Jon in the slot and also a return man. I personally think Jack Jones has a chance to make waves by the back half of the season. But early on, I'd guess it'll be Mills and Butler as your top 2 outside guys, with Mitchell and Wade rotating. At times perhaps Mills plays safety in some situations. It won't be the best CB group ever but with an experienced McCourty and some pretty good SS's in Dugger/Phillips, hopefully the DB group as a whole can be average by season's end.

I think that what most players have said about belichick making them better is the mental part of the game, understanding situational football, teaching sound technique, and being better at film study.
These are all very helpful to older players if they are lacking in those areas. In fact if those areas create weakness, the longer you’ve been doing it wrong, the more a correction can change how you play.
I think it’s a misnomer that veterans cannot learn, because many players learn the wrong way, or don’t learn with depth to begin with.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back