PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFLPA settles lawsuit with retired players

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about time and long overdue. I still don't think it is enough though. I'm hoping to see the rookie salaries lowered to have a steady flow of revenue going into the retirement for these older players.

There isn't a football player in todays game that shouldn't be aware of the short term of their job and the risks incurred. From day 1 they should be counseled and planning a package the day they sign the dotted line.

Sounds like a step in the right direction. Hopefully as part of this CBA there will be funding for better benefits for retired players. Without going in to deep financial analysis, my first thought is if the owners want to scale back the money paid to first round draft picks then take that money and invest it, with the proceeds funding a group health plan and 401k for all retired players.

Don't know how y'all feel about this, but I think it's great that the new NFLPA director has decided to stop this feud which the late Gene Upshaw seemed so determined to keep going:

NFLPA settles lawsuit with retired players - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

Upshaw seemed determined to keep it going because his job is to support the wishes of the union members. They voted on this stuff, and had no interest in giving away their money to players who weren't wise enough to vote for increased pensions and such when they were in the union.

Upshaw seemed determined to keep it going because his job is to support the wishes of the union members. They voted on this stuff, and had no interest in giving away their money to players who weren't wise enough to vote for increased pensions and such when they were in the union.

That would explain it.

I won't get into a debate about it, though, because I don't know enough about it. :disagreement:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST