PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Preseason (Might Be?) Canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is driving all this, the players complaining? Just give them a bubble like the NBA.

What is driving all this, the players complaining? Just give them a bubble like the NBA.

Yeah lets move 2,080 players ((53+12) * 32) and approximately over 2000+ coaches, team staffers, media personnel, referees ect. into a bubble for about 5 months where none of them can see their families or friends or move around freely.

Even the NBA with substantially smaller rosters couldn't figure out a sensible way to allow relatives and guests in for everyone. So instead they allow them in about a month in when the majority of teams will be already eliminated and have left the bubble.

Last edited:
Still do not believe there will be an NFL, NBA or MLB season this year.. they need a proven vaccine first.

OTOH if there is no preseason the teams who have hitched their wagon to a 1st round QB might be impacted somewhat more, as the first real competition will not occur until the first week of the season. Burrows, Tua, Hebert et al will not have faced a different defense until the first week of the season.. that does not bode well.

Gotta wonder if Goodell and his minions are just toying with the fans in an effort to lower the salary cap in 2021.

Well, this sucks. Hope we can still have training camp

Another reason why Stidham wont be the starter.

I think the players will demand it going forward...personally, I'd like to see 1-2 preseason games
Yeah at least 2...I'd still like to see 3 of them, unless teams are able to schedule controlled scrimmages all week long, every week there would've been a game scheduled...and even then I would still like to see an actual game played at the end of that week...Hell I remember the days of SIX pre-season games & 14 regular-season games...

I’m bracing for the announcement of no season :crying:
Seems like wishful thinking to believe the season will happen. It will be cancelled or delayed indefinitely.

Seems like wishful thinking to believe the season will happen. It will be cancelled or delayed indefinitely.

They'll start the season and see how things go, I think...

Yeah lets move 2,080 players ((53+12) * 32) and approximately over 2000+ coaches, team staffers, media personnel, referees ect. into a bubble for about 5 months where none of them can see their families or friends or move around freely.

Even the NBA with substantially smaller rosters couldn't figure out a sensible way to allow relatives and guests in for everyone. So instead they allow them in about a month in when the majority of teams will be already eliminated and have left the bubble.
If they want "safety" from Covid, destroyer of worlds, a bubble is where it's at.

Maybe if the NFL offered a bubble we could stop hearing these players whine about their risk of infection with their 99.99999% probability of recovery. Maybe improving their odds by 0.00001% with a bubble despite not seeing their families for 5 months is worth it for them.

If they want "safety" from Covid, destroyer of worlds, a bubble is where it's at.

Maybe if the NFL offered a bubble we could stop hearing these players whine about their risk of infection with their 99.99999% probability of recovery. Maybe improving their odds by 0.00001% with a bubble despite not seeing their families for 5 months is worth it for them.
Long term affects. You may want to make fun of the virus, but the long term affects seem to be a major problem, that they're not even sure about just yet, though they think lungs and even the heart could be affected long term. Let alone infecting others, especially those in the high risk age groups.

Yeah not gonna join in to the dumb underplaying of a worldwide pandemic here. Have fun thinking every country in the world is part of some conspiracy to nuke their own economies and exaggerate a virus for whatever absurd reason.

I think the players will demand it going forward...personally, I'd like to see 1-2 preseason games

I don't see the advantage of pre-season games over scrimmages with other teams. Scrimmages with 2 different teams in successive weeks makes most sense to me for the future.

Yeah at least 2...I'd still like to see 3 of them, unless teams are able to schedule controlled scrimmages all week long, every week there would've been a game scheduled...and even then I would still like to see an actual game played at the end of that week...Hell I remember the days of SIX pre-season games & 14 regular-season games...

Yup. Controlled scrimmages eliminate the need for pre-season games, and are much more efficient with regard to getting the players ready for the season.

I don't see the advantage of pre-season games over scrimmages with other teams. Scrimmages with 2 different teams in successive weeks makes most sense to me for the future.

The other angle to consider is the referees need to get their act together before the regular season starts. Otherwise people will complain about crap officiating, moreso than usual.

Follow the money. Financially, preseason games are easy to throw away this year as with no fans in the stands and negligible TV money it’s likely the games would cost as much if not more than the revenue generated.

Next year when fans can hopefully attend. The preseason games will return because of the venue revenues they generate.

Long term affects. You may want to make fun of the virus, but the long term affects seem to be a major problem, that they're not even sure about just yet, though they think lungs and even the heart could be affected long term. Let alone infecting others, especially those in the high risk age groups.
Ok, so a bubble then?

Right, the 70-90 year olds in the high risk age groups. Not really sure what this has to do with football players.

There are 15 minute tests. Everyone could be tested daily.

Last edited:
Right, the 70-90 year olds in the high risk age groups. Not really sure what this has to do with football players.
Football players have small children, also older relatives. May not have a huge affect on a 25 year old athlete in the NFL, may feel sick for a day, or maybe not at all. But his 2 year old kid is a high risk age group, his 50-80 year old parents/grand parents could be at risk. People have to think of others who could suffer after being in contact with them if they get the virus. It’s not just about one person, they are in contact with many others.

Wonder if there's any plan to give teams a larger roster for the season. No preseason, but like a 75-90 man roster (training camp numbers) wouldn't be a bad bet

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes