PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Network Top 100 Show -- Tom Brady #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few outside New England fully appreciate the 25 playoff wins and counting. Or 11 Conference Championship Game appearances. These are both virtually unbreakable records, and they are still growing.

Football players get two championship games a year if they can get to them, the Conference Championship and the Super Bowl. If Brady gets the Patriots back to the Super Bowl it will mark his 20th championship game, that's ridiculous. Joe Montana is 2nd with 10. Nobody will ever touch these marks.

The Falcons forum is becoming more entertaining than that of the Jets and Bills.

Some hilarious stuff there.
Haha. Someone should start a thread posting the best of.

Football players get two championship games a year if they can get to them, the Conference Championship and the Super Bowl. If Brady gets the Patriots back to the Super Bowl it will mark his 20th championship game, that's ridiculous. Joe Montana is 2nd with 10. Nobody will ever touch these marks.

That's great. Also I bet most people on this forum could rattle off who we played each time and the general game story. These will stick with us all our lives. Ironic considering I can't tell you what I had for dinner last Thursday.

The Super Bowl completely changed the narrative. No more Manning in the discussion and Montana has been passed. Brady is now and forever will be the GOAT, and everyone knows it, even if they won't admit it,

It's funny - every once in a while some article comes up claiming that Manning is the GOAT. It's always by some Manning homer. Even in 2016, after Manning "won" his second Super Bowl, these articles are always a bunch of excuses (he wasn't that bad in the playoffs) and diminishing actual accomplishments (Brady wasn't as good as it appeared.). They also claim Manning has better statistics than Brady, even though that is not even true.

I laugh whenever I see the consistent, desperate Manning apologist motto, which is that Brady was lucky to win his Super Bowls, relying on a great defense, coaching, and poor play calling by Super Bowl opponents.

Here is something that rarely gets mentioned: Manning's titles in 2006 and 2015 were the two most inept postseason QB performances by any Super Bowl winning QBs in recent memory. He never won a championship where he actually played even adequately in the postseason. He holds the record for lowest QB rating during a Super Bowl run and lowest QB rating for a Super Bowl MVP (and even in that game against them Bears, his only TD was on a broken defensive play.)

So Brady is lucky despite too many heroic performances to count, including SIX would-be Super Bowl winning drives in the fourth quarter. Meanwhile, Manning's four Super Bowls were pathetic, each in their own way. Manning's combined stats during his two SB runs: 5 TDs and 8 INTs, 5.1 YPA and a passer rating of around 72. Yet Brady is the one compared to Trent Dilfer by these idiots.

Just watched the show on DVR.

It was pretty cool, definitely enjoyed all these random other NFL players calling him the GOAT.

Also I'm not really up on what music the kids like these days (more of a Phish / Dead / classic rock kinda guy) but I really enjoyed the montage of Brady plays set to "The Greatest". Perfect way to hammer home the point. Hopefully it's starting to sink in for other people what we already know. The GOAT plays QB for the Patriots.

I don't think the jets would have many in the top 1000.

Looking at their currrnt depth chart unless we count forte who will be 32 this year has been under 900 yards last 2 years and averaged 3.7 last year (clearly you shouldnt) there isn't a single player on offense that is average or better for their position. I don't even see any arguables.

Defensively they have the 3 highly touted DL but they totally sucked last year on defense. There is no one in the LB or secondary group that you could call average or better at this point either.
They are worse than the browns, and it's not really even close.

Not fair. The bottom positions on the JETE depth chart are marked "unnamed - presently working at PathMark"

It's funny - every once in a while some article comes up claiming that Manning is the GOAT. It's always by some Manning homer. Even in 2016, after Manning "won" his second Super Bowl, these articles are always a bunch of excuses (he wasn't that bad in the playoffs) and diminishing actual accomplishments (Brady wasn't as good as it appeared.). They also claim Manning has better statistics than Brady, even though that is not even true.

I laugh whenever I see the consistent, desperate Manning apologist motto, which is that Brady was lucky to win his Super Bowls, relying on a great defense, coaching, and poor play calling by Super Bowl opponents.

Here is something that rarely gets mentioned: Manning's titles in 2006 and 2015 were the two most inept postseason QB performances by any Super Bowl winning QBs in recent memory. He never won a championship where he actually played even adequately in the postseason. He holds the record for lowest QB rating during a Super Bowl run and lowest QB rating for a Super Bowl MVP (and even in that game against them Bears, his only TD was on a broken defensive play.)

So Brady is lucky despite too many heroic performances to count, including SIX would-be Super Bowl winning drives in the fourth quarter. Meanwhile, Manning's four Super Bowls were pathetic, each in their own way. Manning's combined stats during his two SB runs: 5 TDs and 8 INTs, 5.1 YPA and a passer rating of around 72. Yet Brady is the one compared to Trent Dilfer by these idiots.

All we really need to know is the difference between Super Bowl 51 and Super Bowl 48. Brady fell behind 28-3 in the third, scrapped and fought and brought the team all the way back. Manning fell behind 22 at the half, the opening kickoff for the 2nd half was returned for a TD by the Seahawks, and this record setting offense just about quit. Take away the 29 point lead and just count the rest of the game, and the Broncos still lose 14-8. No making the game respectable, no drive for pride, just playing out the string hoping to preserve themselves from the big bully Seahawks (who of course the Pats would beat from behind just the next year).

To be fair Trent Dilfer is 5-1 in the playoffs, and had ZERO one and dones. And in his Super Bowl run posted 3 TD, 1 int, 8.1 YPA, and a 83.7 rating(back in 2000 when defenses could play; note Brady only posted ratings of 84.5 and 77.3 for his 2001 and 2003) so it is pretty easy to see why Manning isn't compared to Dilfer :cool:

Ask Indy fans, and it's like "Wow it's a tough call, it's neck and neck [no pun intended]." Ask the players on the Top 100 show, it's like "there's no question." Ask any other fan, and it's like "There's no question, why did he have to go cheat and put an asterisk on it."

I knew a Miami fan who thought there was no question Dan Marino was better than Montana. Montana was just on the right team with a lot of talent, so he had all these opportunities for post-season wins that poor Dan Marino didn't get, plus the NFC was dominant at the time so you couldn't expect those gaudy post-season records from Marino. Just look at the regular season numbers that tells you everything you need to know.

And what about your local "best ____ but never gets covered b/c he's on a bad team."

At QB, played this well, the team rises and falls with that position. If the talent around you wasn't good enough, tell me how David Patten made Tom Brady what he was.

I've said it before, I'll say it again... you've got #12 on the field, you're down 25, it's not over. Now some of that is just having seen him do it before (over and over and over...) So there's a halo effect. But the halo effect is real. Perfect example of making your own luck.

Great read today* in ESPN of all places. It's from earlier this year, you guys probably already read it.
Tom Brady is conquering age. His next target: Michael Jordan

It goes deeper into Brady's "wasn't good enough" backstory. Goes through high school seasons on losing teams where really he was nothing special. Goes through Michigan where he was nothing special... they asked him about being the GOAT and he wouldn't touch it. He was like "There are so many GOATs - who is better than Deion? But then, if I can't complete a pass on Revis, how is he not on Deion's level?" etc. His logic sounded genuine - sort of the flip side of "my husband cannot throw the ball and catch it."

PS, also said "what I said was I wanted to play into my mid 40s, so yeah, 45 is right in the middle of that," but somehow said 50s not out of the question.

LOLOL... Well, everybody knows my ideas about risk management being the staff's problem, but something we can be aware of. The question now is still... how long can he keep being right?

Good news is that from what we can see, he's looking at competing for it, proving it, every year. He still thinks that way, to read the interview. As in, you can read into it that he felt like he had to "beat out" Rohan Davey and Cliff Kingsbury and Brian Hoyer and Matt Cassel and what have you.

You guys remember Farvrevruh saying it "wasn't his job" to get Aaron Rodgers ready? None of that. No feeling that whoever is nipping at his heels is his enemy. Maybe the way the Drew transition unfolded taught him a lesson in class.

Of course, we haven't see how he handles that yet. Just wool-gathering on that subject. From what I see so far, though, he actually does seem above it.

*edit - great read today for me, that is. That's when I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes