PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Network - Top 10 records that will never be broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

micronin127

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The #1 overall record that will never be broken was Don Shula with 347 wins (328 regular season, 19 postseason).

I wondered where Coach Belichick ranked and it got me thinking. He is currently 5th for regular season wins and 4th including postseason wins.

1. Don Shula (347) - 328 + 19
2. George Halas (324) - 318 + 6
3. Tom Landry (270) - 250 + 20
4. Curly Lambeau (229) - 226 +3
5. Bill Belichick (246) - 223 + 23

I think both Coach Belichick and Tom Brady will set postseason win totals for coach and quarterback that should make the list of records that will never be broken eventually when they retire.

Brady signed for four more years. If you assume 12.5 regular season wins that is another 50. Plus several more postseason wins would get Coach Belichick near 300 combined and around 273 regular season.

Coach Belichick is on record as saying he isn't going to coach into his 70's like Marv Levy did, and he will be 68 in four years. If he is that close to Shula's mark, do you think he would keep going for the five or so more years it would take to break this record that "will never be broken".

I think he could definitely do it if he wanted to.

BB might if he has a TB clone at the QB position.....but what are the odds of a coach finding another HOF QB the year that TB retires??

How is it that Don Shula has that many wins? this is for head coaches right? Pretty impressive considering BB hasn't been a head coach for that long overall.

I think he should go for it. The closer he gets the more tempting it would be. IMO.

Edit: Especially with Don Schilla at the top. Would be classic to put his sh!t talking ass in second place.

How is it that Don Shula has that many wins? this is for head coaches right? Pretty impressive considering BB hasn't been a head coach for that long overall.
Aside from always beating us back when we sucked. He coached Johnny U and Dan Marino. Between that he coached a team to an undefeated season and 3 straight SBs winning 2. He's been an ass to us Patriot fans but he was a great coach.

BB spent many years as a coordinator before becoming a head coach. Shula started as a head coach at a very young age

IMO he will not pass Halas or Shula.. he will wind up #3, but there will always be GOAT arguments..Halas accomplished his numbers exclusively in 14 game seasons, Shula worked 3, 14 game seasons.. Shula accomplished his numbers in 33 years, Halas in 40 years, BB is beginning his 22nd...

He will probably surpass Shula and Landry with all time play off wins and play off percentages...

Average wins per year…

1.Belichick 11.7 avg. wins per year(246 wins in 21 years)

2. Shula 10.5 avg. wins per year (347 in 33 years)

3. Landry 9.3 avg. wins per year (270 in 29 years)

Playoff games/wins and winning percentage..

1.Belichick 33 playoff games, 23 wins, .697 winning percentage

2. Shula 36 playoff games, 19 wins, .528 winning percentage

3. Landry 36 playoff games 20 wins, .556 winning percentage

Don Shula became head coach of the Baltimore Colts in 1963 when he was 33-years-old. His quarterback was Johnny Unitas. Not a bad way to start one's career. He retired with Dan Marino as his quarterback, which is not a bad way to end his career.

Shula annoys me for being a petty old man who calls Bill Belichick a cheater, but the guy could spot talent and get the most out of players who often were not all that physically gifted.

Belichick will probably finish 3rd on the all-time wins list behind Shula and George Halas, but first by a mile on the playoff games win list.

Don Shula became head coach of the Baltimore Colts in 1963 when he was 33-years-old. His quarterback was Johnny Unitas. Not a bad way to start one's career. He retired with Dan Marino as his quarterback, which is not a bad way to end his career.

Shula annoys me for being a petty old man who calls Bill Belichick a cheater, but the guy could spot talent and get the most out of players who often were not all that physically gifted.

Belichick will probably finish 3rd on the all-time wins list behind Shula and George Halas, but first by a mile on the playoff games win list.

Shula was also one of the first HCs to use his influence on the competition committee to get rule changes implemented to help take advantage of his team's strengths.

He was also fined a 1st round pick and paid a huge fine for cheating in 1970, which directly led to his cherished undefeated season in 1972. However, there were no ex-coaches around at the time who were petty enough to criticize his team and it's accomplishment. Belichick and the Pats weren't so lucky.

Shula's got mega-balls calling anyone a cheater considering these menu items from his restaurant in Orlando: Australian Lobster Tail: $130.00; 3 lb. Porterhouse: $105.00; Maine Lobster: $95.00. He should be in the clink...

I think there is a record that, unless the current rule changes, it will be eternal.

Consecutive extra point kicks made by Gost. With those being kicked from the 33, this record will never change hands again

Aside from always beating us back when we sucked. He coached Johnny U and Dan Marino. Between that he coached a team to an undefeated season and 3 straight SBs winning 2. He's been an ass to us Patriot fans but he was a great coach.
I think he's overrated. As you say, he had Johnny U and Dan Marino - and never won a championship with those guys. (Yes, I know he won two championships, but not with those guys).

He is the Peyton Manning of coaches: Great regular season stats, but totally underachieved in the post season. How he and Marino never got back to the Super Bowl after going in Marino's 2nd year in the sad sack AFC is a mystery.

He had Unitas as his qb, but I don't think he ever coached him. Unitas called his own plays and didn't really get along with Shula. Shula was about ball control and defense. His sb winning teams featured earl moral at qb, with kiick and conks running and a stellar defense. That was also how the colts got to the sb, with moral at qb, only to lose to the effing jets. People forget , a few years before the undefeated season, his colts lost in sb 3, the biggest upset ever, before sb36.

How about most butt fumbles by a franchise?

Rats have two.

I wish Shula would hurry up.

At least wait until BB gets #348.

Edit: An then instead of calling him Shula we can call him Shul-less. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes