PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL is willing to “bubble” teams inside hotels for the rest of the season

And that leads to the question I have asked many times on this board and still no one has answered: Where in the United States do they have the facilities necessary to put 32 NFL teams, with all the practice fields that would take, plus the 16 NFL-caliber playing fields? Please remember that a "bubble" has to be of a reasonable size, so that answer to my question cannot be something like "the state of Ohio."

I have asked that question a bunch of times. No one has answered it yet.

Plenty of empty hotels out there. One NFL team, one floor. That's it. The stadiums/practice fields aren't the problem- it's when those people go home.

Plenty of empty hotels out there. One NFL team, one floor. That's it. The stadiums/practice fields aren't the problem- it's when those people go home.
WTF are you smoking and where can I get some?? Of course the stadiums and practice fields are the problem.

No foolin' there are hotels that can handle thousands of people. Now tell me where there is a hotel that can handle thousands of people that is also conveniently located by 32 NFL caliber practice facilities plus 16 NFL caliber playing fields?

Of course the stadiums and practice fields are the problem.

If that were the case, the NFL would have cancelled the season. Keep grasping at straws here.

No foolin' there are hotels that can handle thousands of people. Now tell me where there is a hotel that can handle thousands of people that is also conveniently located by 32 NFL caliber practice facilities plus 16 NFL caliber playing fields?

Thousands of people? Each NFL team number maybe around 100, including players coaching and ancillary staff.

If that were the case, the NFL would have cancelled the season. Keep grasping at straws here.
I honestly don't think you are following the conversation terribly well because you are making no sense whatsoever.

The NFL cannot create one large bubble for all teams (like the NBA did). A major impediment - but certainly not the only one - is you would need 32 NFL caliber practice fields plus 16 NFL caliber playing fields. There is no place on the planet where such facilities exist within such close proximity that you could create a bubble.
Thousands of people? Each NFL team number maybe around 100, including players coaching and ancillary staff.
It is actually more like 170 per team when you factor in players, practice squad, coaches, trainers, staff, etc. And there are 32 teams. 32 x 170 = 5,440. That's thousands.

And that leads to the question I have asked many times on this board and still no one has answered: Where in the United States do they have the facilities necessary to put 32 NFL teams, with all the practice fields that would take, plus the 16 NFL-caliber playing fields? Please remember that a "bubble" has to be of a reasonable size, so that answer to my question cannot be something like "the state of Ohio."

I have asked that question a bunch of times. No one has answered it yet.

I agree that the NFL cannot have one bubble for all the teams. HOWQEVER, each team can live in a bubble, both at home and on the road, As PHI does, they would need to rent whole floors of hotels, or even whole hotels.

However, the issue is NOT, is NOT, is NOT the facilities. Folks think that sending players home when sick is the answer. That is nonsense. Players get sick when at home or when out and about.
======
Th owners and union need to talk to the Titans. They think they did everything according to the rules, and yet, they have lots of cases.

Lol..!! I need something just a little more reliable than a Reddit post before I get on board with that one. What does Sharks of Vegas say?

I do not believe for a single second that “multiple coaches” want to pause everything because one single team had to push back a game 3 weeks.

We're talking about one team at one hotel.

32 teams, 32 hotels. The logistics for that isn't too hard.

I don't think you understand the definition of bubble as the NFL is using it. Anyway, I'm done.
Well that's kinda part of the problem. Aside from the fact that the players don't want it, if you do "32 bubbles" where teams are still travelling across the country every week, then you really don't have a bubble, do you?

I was responding to someone who said the NFL should do what the NBA and NFL did when you jumped in. That would simply not be possible. Your suggestion of 32 bubbles is radically different. I question how useful it would be but at least that would be physically possible.
I don't see anything in there that support your original Reddit post that multiple coaches want to pause the season and reduce it to 12 - not to mention that his fear mongering 1st paragraph has already become an inaccurate prediction. All he has is unsubstantiated sources about something that "might" happen and his own personal agendas.

I don't see anything in there that support your original Reddit post that multiple coaches want to pause the season and reduce it to 12 - not to mention that his fear mongering 1st paragraph has already become an inaccurate prediction. All he has is unsubstantiated sources about something that "might" happen and his own personal agendas.

Ok. Nothing to stress over.

Well that's kinda part of the problem. Aside from the fact that the players don't want it, if you do "32 bubbles" where teams are still travelling across the country every week, then you really don't have a bubble, do you?

I was responding to someone who said the NFL should do what the NBA and NFL did when you jumped in. That would simply not be possible. Your suggestion of 32 bubbles is radically different. I question how useful it would be but at least that would be physically possible.

I wasn't envisioning one hard, stationary bubble. I was envisioning 32 hard traveling bubbles. One hotel floor closed off, visitors banned. No going home at night, no going out at all, food and other services would follow strict protocol for delivery. Is it foolproof? Not at all. Is it going to be hard on players? Yes. Especially when they get deprived of ****y and groupies. But it's either that or no football.

I imagine BB is as conscious and attentive as any coach could ever be, with careful attention to detail, yet Cam still got infected.

Ok. Nothing to stress over.
I am not stressed, I just want to know what's going on. What you posted would be pretty big news but I just don't see it as a valid report so I will be taking it with several grains of salt.

I wasn't envisioning one hard, stationary bubble. I was envisioning 32 hard traveling bubbles. One hotel floor closed off, visitors banned. No going home at night, no going out at all, food and other services would follow strict protocol for delivery. Is it foolproof? Not at all. Is it going to be hard on players? Yes. Especially when they get deprived of ****y and groupies. But it's either that or no football.

I imagine BB is as conscious and attentive as any coach could ever be, with careful attention to detail, yet Cam still got infected.
Not a bad idea. Good luck getting the Union to agree to it.

Not a bad idea. Good luck getting the Union to agree to it.

What would you suggest? What do you think the union would suggest? The current system isn't working, and in fact has cost us tonight's game, competitive-wise.

What would you suggest? What do you think the union would suggest? The current system isn't working, and in fact has cost us tonight's game, competitive-wise.
I don’t think the Union would agree to an “every team bubble” for the remainder of the season. They refused such accommodations that past summer when it was only going to be 4 days a week. Now you want them to do it 7 days a week?

But I’m also not going to run around screaming the system is broken. We are 4 weeks into the season and this weekend was the first incident. One game got pushed 3 weeks, another got pushed 1 day. I look at that and see a system which is working.

If only one team suffers an outbreak every 4 weeks, the League should consider themselves lucky.

I don’t think the Union would agree to an “every team bubble” for the remainder of the season. They refused such accommodations that past summer when it was only going to be 4 days a week. Now you want them to do it 7 days a week?

But I’m also not going to run around screaming the system is broken. We are 4 weeks into the season and this weekend was the first incident. One game got pushed 3 weeks, another got pushed 1 day. I look at that and see a system which is working.

If only one team suffers an outbreak every 4 weeks, the League should consider themselves lucky.

Would you really? What if tonight's game, which is basically now a L, played a big factor in whether we got a playoff berth? What if we had a shot at the division title by splitting head to head with the Bills but this game or another game cost us because we lost a key player due to the current "soft bubble" system? The episode with Cam has shown us that we simply can't trust players to take care of themselves once they leave the stadium. Cam has spoken and demonstrated his drive, enthusiasm, and dedication for the game, and for this team, but clearly he didn't take that to the nth degree.

I mean, no one is forced to work in the NFL. They can quit if they’d like.
giphy.gif

Would you really?
Would I really what?
What if tonight's game, which is basically now a L, played a big factor in whether we got a playoff berth?
You do realize the Patriots weren't exactly favored to begin with, right?
What if we had a shot at the division title by splitting head to head with the Bills but this game or another game cost us because we lost a key player due to the current "soft bubble" system? The episode with Cam has shown us that we simply can't trust players to take care of themselves once they leave the stadium. Cam has spoken and demonstrated his drive, enthusiasm, and dedication for the game, and for this team, but clearly he didn't take that to the nth degree.
Basically you're saying Cam messed up (something which I do not know has been established yet) but the team shouldn't have to suffer for it. I can't say I agree with that. Players mess up all the time in various ways that impact their team.

You do realize the Patriots weren't exactly favored to begin with, right?
Basically you're saying Cam messed up (something which I do not know has been established yet) but the team shouldn't have to suffer for it. I can't say I agree with that. Players mess up all the time in various ways that impact their team.

We were never favored, that's true. But Cam gives us a lot more competitive advantage than Hoyer could ever dream of giving. If our run game doesn't get going, we'll get blown out. Chiefs are going to dare us to throw on them. They'll sell out to stop the run.

Why should the team have to suffer for something that could very well be incidental contraction? If KC lost Mahomes, they'd be screaming murder to postpone the game a few weeks.

I suspect that if BB had his way, he'd lock the team plus staff up at the Radisson at Patriot Place and kick everyone else out. The NFLPA would never allow it.

We were never favored, that's true. But Cam gives us a lot more competitive advantage than Hoyer could ever dream of giving. If our run game doesn't get going, we'll get blown out. Chiefs are going to dare us to throw on them. They'll sell out to stop the run.

Why should the team have to suffer for something that could very well be incidental contraction?
You're all over the place here. First you say " The episode with Cam has shown us that we simply can't trust players to take care of themselves once they leave the stadium. Cam has spoken and demonstrated his drive, enthusiasm, and dedication for the game, and for this team, but clearly he didn't take that to the nth degree. " (and actually I was the one who defended Cam in my response saying we don't yet know what happened.

So now you're saying "Why should the team have to suffer for something that could very well be incidental contraction?" Consistency FTW, my friend. Teams suffer all the time for things that are beyond anyone's control. I would not be surprised if the NFL added an 8th playoff spot to each conference to try and address these sorts of things if they continue.
If KC lost Mahomes, they'd be screaming murder to postpone the game a few weeks.
As I already stated if Mahomes got it, but was the only one on the team that got it, I do not think the League would have handled it any differently.

I suspect that if BB had his way, he'd lock the team plus staff up at the Radisson at Patriot Place and kick everyone else out. The NFLPA would never allow it.
I agree. He would definitely like to have more control over the players. But, as you say, the NFLPA would not necessarily be on board.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back