PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL increases minimum salary cap to $180 million in 2021

Betterthanmost

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Free agency is going to be crazy.
I was expecting same as last year or lesser.
What are we looking at now in CAP Space?

Why would the cap be the same as last year's? The league and PA talked all year about a reduced cap. Guess is it will end being $ 185 million

I honestly felt like they would work out a deal to borrow from future years in order to make 2021 higher and prevent so many teams from having awful cap situations, so I am a little surprised at only $180m. Definitely favors the Pats a lot - tons of good vets will be getting cut with fewer teams than normal having the means to sign them. However, they need to settle the QB situation to some extent before free agency starts in order to become more attractive for players. I realize "money talks" but a receiver when presented with two similar offers will probably prefer to go where he will actually have some success.

I honestly felt like they would work out a deal to borrow from future years in order to make 2021 higher and prevent so many teams from having awful cap situations, so I am a little surprised at only $180m. Definitely favors the Pats a lot - tons of good vets will be getting cut with fewer teams than normal having the means to sign them. However, they need to settle the QB situation to some extent before free agency starts in order to become more attractive for players. I realize "money talks" but a receiver when presented with two similar offers will probably prefer to go where he will actually have some success.

Depending on what QB's they're targeting, it might be a chicken and egg situation. For example, if Jimmy gets released and gets to pick where he goes, is New England nostalgia enough, or will they have to have already signed a #1 WR and #1 TE to make it appealing to him? I could see it either way.

Depending on what QB's they're targeting, it might be a chicken and egg situation. For example, if Jimmy gets released and gets to pick where he goes, is New England nostalgia enough, or will they have to have already signed a #1 WR and #1 TE to make it appealing to him? I could see it either way.
Yes, definitely a factor. I'm feeling like they intend to swing a deal via trade before free agency.

Yes, definitely a factor. I'm feeling like they intend to swing a deal via trade before free agency.
That's my feeling. No offensive weapons will sign here if they don't know who's throwing to them. I think BB wants Jimmy g back and will swing a trade. Then he will extend him to lower the cap hit he has.

yes there will be a lot of FA, but you have to consider that almost all of them (beside elite players which still will get a ****load of money in a somewhat logn-trem deal), will sign perhaps "cheaper" contracts but only for one year to have the leverage and those players (the ones that will be able to help you right now) will either demand pay more than the rest or I'll take vet minimum and go for a ring with Brady in Tampa, so it won't be easy for the pats to get good FA as long as they do not overpay, but JAGs will be cheap and available for sure^^

yes there will be a lot of FA, but you have to consider that almost all of them (beside elite players which still will get a ****load of money in a somewhat logn-trem deal), will sign perhaps "cheaper" contracts but only for one year to have the leverage and those players (the ones that will be able to help you right now) will either demand pay more than the rest or I'll take vet minimum and go for a ring with Brady in Tampa, so it won't be easy for the pats to get good FA as long as they do not overpay, but JAGs will be cheap and available for sure^^

Really depends on the player and where they are in their life/career. Some will gamble on themselves with the one year deals, no doubt. They'll expect the cap to go back up and will want to hit FA again when it does. But others will likely be thinking they're one injury away from never getting a paycheck again, and will still want multi years and guaranteed money. This is always the dance that's played in these negotiations. Not every player will be willing to risk a one year short money deal that's one bad turf plant away from being their last.

I expect Bill to browse the discount aisle for potential free agents. With a low salary cap there should be a lot of value to be had.

I don’t believe the argument that a bunch of NFL free agents will take cheap one year deals so the Pats will miss out on free agents even if they have the highest offer. In football it’s not a question of if a player gets injured but when. Players taking below market short term deals seems unlikely.

I’m pretty sure people will complain about the Pats free agent signings in the offseason but I would be shocked if they didn’t add a bunch of new impact players.

I expect Bill to browse the discount aisle for potential free agents. With a low salary cap there should be a lot of value to be had.

I don’t believe the argument that a bunch of NFL free agents will take cheap one year deals so the Pats will miss out on free agents even if they have the highest offer. In football it’s not a question of if a player gets injured but when. Players taking below market short term deals seems unlikely.

I’m pretty sure people will complain about the Pats free agent signings in the offseason but I would be shocked if they didn’t add a bunch of new impact players.
The Patriots will add free agents across the entire spectrum. Top end, lesser known bargains, solid not spectacular players, special teamers, everything. His do I know this? Because they have a boat load of cap room so they will be in on every level of FA to improve the team. This is the only year they have the opportunity to do it, so they will maximize.

the really good deals are going to be with the second tier players... build good depth this coming year

the really good deals are going to be with the second tier players... build good depth this coming year

We should be looking for the next Shaq Barrett (of any position). He played very well on the Broncos but came cheap to Tampa because he was buried behind great players and couldn't show off his skills. Brady has ring #7 in large part because of how much value the Bucs got out of that Barrett contract. Not sure who it would be, but that's your ideal second tier free agent.

We should be looking for the next Shaq Barrett (of any position). He played very well on the Broncos but came cheap to Tampa because he was buried behind great players and couldn't show off his skills. Brady has ring #7 in large part because of how much value the Bucs got out of that Barrett contract. Not sure who it would be, but that's your ideal second tier free agent.
Azeez Ojulari reminds me of Shaq barrett

Not really a free agent we can spend that cap money on though...
He's an option in the draft though. We can trade down at #15 and still take him.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back