PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL frisking players before game ??

FalconHeavy

Patriots Nation
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Apologies if it was already discussed.

Cameras showed that the players were frisked when they got out of locker room before entering the stadium. Is this something new NFL has initiated this year. What is the purpose of this ? Seems like a real headscratcher.

Greg Bedard in 98.5 this morning was also explaining about this but I didn't get what he was saying. Also he mentioned something to the effect that TSA conducts security check in stadium before they leave for airport.

Any further insight in to this ?

I only saw this happened to one player on the Ravens (an o-lineman) and I had no idea what was going on. I was unaware they were frisking all the players.

I only saw this happened to one player on the Ravens (an o-lineman) and I had no idea what was going on. I was unaware they were frisking all the players.

huh, that makes it even bizarre...

They check the linemen for silicone and other slippery substances

Might be a case of like what happens in Sports over here, players are given a quick check over to make sure they have nothing that can put themselves or the opposition in any extra harms way when they're on the field or anything deemed to be cheating (like say a ring which could get caught on a helmet or checking for any faulty equipment and as Deus said slipper substances, you could add in things like Stickum for receivers too).

In Football there will probably be extra checks for things like mics that aren't placed there by the network etc too.

This I didn't know. Thanks for the information!
It does make sense to check linemen for stuff like that, how much harder would it be to block one of the long, rangy DEs like JPP or Chandler Jones if they covered their arms/jersey in say KY Jelly?

Apologies if it was already discussed.

Cameras showed that the players were frisked when they got out of locker room before entering the stadium. Is this something new NFL has initiated this year. What is the purpose of this ? Seems like a real headscratcher.

Greg Bedard in 98.5 this morning was also explaining about this but I didn't get what he was saying. Also he mentioned something to the effect that TSA conducts security check in stadium before they leave for airport.

Any further insight in to this ?

As far as I know, two answers:

1. As Deus responded, the NFL security checks for silicone on uniforms, Fred Biletnikoff type stick-em on receivers, etc. to try and insure nobody has an unfair competitive advantage in that regards.

2. Yes, teams have all those traveling go through a TSA security check at the stadium rather than having to wait in line to do so at the airport. It is not uncommon at all for groups flying on a chartered plane to do so.

They are from Baltimore, isn't that reason enough to make sure they don't go "The Last Boy Scout" on you?
As Deus wrote and Mike Pereira tweeted, they randomly check players before game and at half time for slick illegal substances....

Thanks, Ahern. You ruined it for everyone else.

It does make sense to check linemen for stuff like that, how much harder would it be to block one of the long, rangy D's like JPP or Chandler Jones if they covered their arms/jersey in say KY Jelly?

Must.Resist.Funny.Ways.To.Go.With.This.

I nominate myself for the job of frisking the cheerleaders ;-)......And yes, I'm a dirty old man, so what, sue me.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back