PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New sod in KC -cleat choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
  • Apparently, they just put down new sod this week at Arrowhead.
Chiefs resod Arrowhead Stadium

With it being winter, that is potentially not well rooted turf. Article didn't say how deep the trays were. Could be a bunch of slipping, tripping over seams out there. Hopefully is better/safer than the "bad turf" that they replaced.

I wonder if the kc players will get an advance opportunity to figure out what cleats work best or if they will have only the pregame workout like Pats. Anybody have experience with playing/running on fresh sod in winter?

Well the answer is yes the KC players will have a time advantage to test cleats...

Also that field last week was a disaster, I suspect this is a better option.

Equipment manager should send someone ahead to check it out.

I don't like this, the field could be a factor and it shouldn't. If footing is iffy in the middle of the field because of new sod it's going to favor the outside game.

Hell yes, the Chiefs will get the opportunity to test it out, first. They probably already have. If not on Thursday, then most definitely Friday. What would stop them?

We’ll have to wait, but I’m sure that someone from the team will be going over it on Saturday, once they’re in town. I know they can change the length of the cleats on the fly, but this situation almost certainly favors KC.

The Pat's will have several different kinds of cleats on hand and figure out which is the best to use, non factor.

I do not like this, how do you harvest and install grass in weather this severe?? Where is the NFL on this??

Hate to play the victim card, but imagine if the Pats were hosting this game and installed a new playing surface?? The national pundits would have shyt balls rolling down their legs while proclaiming how the Pats are cheating, again..

If KC had so much confidence in their team, they should have fixed this in October..

Hell yes, the Chiefs will get the opportunity to test it out, first. They probably already have. If not on Thursday, then most definitely Friday. What would stop them?

We’ll have to wait, but I’m sure that someone from the team will be going over it on Saturday, once they’re in town. I know they can change the length of the cleats on the fly, but this situation almost certainly favors KC.

If this really was such a huge deal I am sure the Pats would have already send someone ahead to check the newly done field out before the rest of the team travels.

I mean equipment managers have tons of experience in all conditions and types of fields. With at least 24h run up time until the game after arrival there this really should not be a big issue that favors one team over the other.

Of course it is possible that both teams get screwed by the newly done field if something went wrong.

If this really was such a huge deal I am sure the Pats would have already send someone ahead to check the newly done field out before the rest of the team travels.

I mean equipment managers have tons of experience in all conditions and types of fields. With at least 24h run up time until the game after arrival there this really should not be a big issue that favors one team over the other.

Of course it is possible that both teams get screwed by the newly done field if something went wrong.
Sod was laid down the middle of the field. Which offense has a stronger game outside the hash marks?

I don't like this, the field could be a factor and it shouldn't. If footing is iffy in the middle of the field because of new sod it's going to favor the outside game.

Mayo stated that in 2014, the field was a big issue. I could see it being like that again.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2

Sod was laid down the middle of the field. Which offense has a stronger game outside the hash marks?
Yeah, I don’t necessarily think that it’s going to be a huge deal or anything, but I can’t see how this wouldn’t favor KC. It certainly doesn’t benefit NE, that’s for sure.

Mayo stated that in 2014, the field was a big issue. I could see it being like that again.
Hopefully, they learned a bit from the last experience, although the changing of the sod could make that a moot point.

In a setting where in-game adjustments are so key, I wonder what the protocol is for making changes to the cleats? We often see them physically changing the individual pieces out, one by one, but you’d have to think that they’d have different options available. Of course, this could still set them back a series or two.

Gee wiz
I sure hope the Pats organization has the foresight to plan accordingly

The Pats' ground game is stronger in the A & B-gaps, IIRC.

good angles and sound tackling..........that's all it takes

Hill is the only big COD guy on their team.....the first time on the ground, one solid punch to the kidneys should take care of it

• Apparently, they just put down new sod this week at Arrowhead.
Chiefs resod Arrowhead Stadium

With it being winter, that is potentially not well rooted turf. Article didn't say how deep the trays were. Could be a bunch of slipping, tripping over seams out there. Hopefully is better/safer than the "bad turf" that they replaced.

I wonder if the kc players will get an advance opportunity to figure out what cleats work best or if they will have only the pregame workout like Pats. Anybody have experience with playing/running on fresh sod in winter?

I saw on the equipment manager's twitter post that the new sod was: 45’ x 3.5’ rolls 1 5/8” thick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News