PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New NFL kickoff rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

everlong

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
If the new rule goes through the team kicking off cannot get a running head start. The receiving team cannot have wedges of even two players and must start 8 of the 11 players on the field within 15 yards of the kickoff point.

1. This is probably going to increase kick return averages. Does this eliminate the Patriots strategy with Gostkowski kicking it high just short of the GL? I think the touchback may be preferable.

2. Without the head start it could slow some players like Slater down however with no contact within the first 15 yards he'll be elusive so these two changes may negate each other. It should open up the field for the KRs though. Bill will likely play around a lot with this in the pre-season to develop new strategies. Hopefully he comes up with a wrinkle and saves it for against the Ravens so Whinebaugh blows a gasket.

3. Onside kicks without a running head start is going to further decrease the chances of success however it will take down the level of impacts which is what the NFL was looking for.

4. The Patterson signing would seem to indicate Bill is thinking this way.

i think its going to put a huge emphasis of getting players that can block. since there is no running starts its going to change from forcing players off their routes to engaging early on and blocking for as long as possible, more like punts then actual kickoffs.

I think hang time will be critical for the coverage team. A K who can get a great second hang time and boot the ball near the goal line will be golden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News