PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New England re-signs 23-year-old safety Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome back Guss! May yet be a starter.

F.B.N. said:
I heard that this afternoon on WEEI but then they never mentioned it again. If they stay healthy...we now have 3 players fighting to backup Rodney...unless they move Scott to 5/10 - CB due to his size limitations.
I like the guy, ever since he was drafted

Seems that we are adding a lot of blue collar players to our defensive backfield, do not see a "sexier" signing, i.e. Law or Woodson, unless it comes at very good value. Last couple of years prove we need a lot of depth a these positions.

I believe Sanders is a much better player than Scott, not even close. Everytime I see Scott play he is always getting run over by either a RB or WR. Plus Scott is alway hurt. BB must see something.

I'll tell ya what he sees, he sees he can't shove Troy Brown back in every time it's a nickel package and still get production out of him as a receiver.

JustWinBrady said:
I believe Sanders is a much better player than Scott, not even close. Everytime I see Scott play he is always getting run over by either a RB or WR. Plus Scott is alway hurt. BB must see something.
I guess we're seeing out of different eyes, I left the season with the impression that Scott played well when I watched him on tape. He got hurt laying a hit on Antonio Gates, before he got hurt Gates wasn't much of an issue in the game. Sanders came in and wasn't as effective corraling Gates.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I guess we're seeing out of different eyes, I left the season with the impression that Scott played well when I watched him on tape. He got hurt laying a hit on Antonio Gates, before he got hurt Gates wasn't much of an issue in the game. Sanders came in and wasn't as effective corraling Gates.

Players weights never seem to get changed...I wonder where he is at right now?

Belichick has always been wary of LB's and SS's out of college because he feels they are not big enough. I'm sure he factors in how big they can get. But Scott was picked in the 3rd round which leads to the belief he was very close to being ready to play in the NFL.

He was 195lb when he was drafted...our SS's take a pounding in Bills system...unles he's up to 225lbs or so i sadly don't see how he will ever play ahead of Sanders...unless he's fast enough to be a nickle or dime cover man.

Some info on G Scott in case some of you have forgot.

Coming out of college he had 310 tackles and 11 of which were Forced fumbled that lead the school career high.

NFL.com said:
Positives: Has a compact, yet very muscular frame, with a well-defined upper body, good lower-body thickness and highly developed calves … Plays with good awareness and instincts … Quick to react to the ball and anticipate the pass, consistently making good decisions … Has the quickness to shadow backs and tight ends in the short area and shows enough speed to hold his own on deep routes … Low and smooth in his backpedal, showing quickness in transition and good foot placement to plant and drive … Has the speed needed to cover the field and close off the hash … Makes good body adjustments, competing for the ball on the move and will generally get in proper position to make the play, showing the vertical skills to compete for the ball in the air … Has very good hands and ball skills, doing a good job of extending to get to the pigskin away from the body's frame … Active in run force, coming up quickly while taking good angles to maintain leverage working near the edge … Plays on all special-team units … Respected team leader who is vocal and would not hesitate to push others … Makes great effort throughout his play and never takes time off … Quick out of his breaks and knows how to utilize his strength to compete close to the line of scrimmage against the run … Does a good job of bringing his arms to wrap and secure as a tackler.

Great positives coming out of college sounded like a clone of Rodney if you think about it.

NFL.com said:
Timed at 4.5 in the 40-yard dash … 405-pound bench press … 625-pound squat … 300-pound power clean … 40-inch vertical jump … 31 1/8-inch arm length … 9-inch hands
Impressive workout results as well.

Also he had 25 tackles in 5 games last year. Another noteworthy hit was when he took down a running Alge Crumpler single handidly saving the team from a sure touchdown.

PatsFanInVa said:
I'll tell ya what he sees, he sees he can't shove Troy Brown back in every time it's a nickel package and still get production out of him as a receiver.

I know thats right we need all the healthy bodys available back in the secondary the injuries hit hard last year for certain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back