PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots Sign Broncos Free Agent OT Calvin Anderson

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
This is a great move. Anderson has improved every year. He’s smart with a stellar character. Very smart.

Apparently, there are videos of him solving Rubik’s cube puzzles behind his back.

His arms are a little short at 33 1/8”. But I think we can expect him to compete well.

Mike Munchak worked with this very coachable kid. We benefit from Calvin’s upward trajectory.

This was a gold star offseason move to bring in a guy who can start at either tackle position. Cajuste and Steuber are there as backups to Anderson—if they even make the field in uniform.

Last edited:
This is a great move. Anderson has improved every year. He’s smart with a stellar character. Very smart.

Apparently, there are videos of him solving Rubik’s cube puzzles behind his back.

His arms are a little short at 33 1/8”. But I think we can expect him to compete well.

This was a gold star offseason move to bring in a guy who can start at either tackle position. Cajuste and Steuber are there as backups to Anderson.

Agreed. It also would be great to draft a couple of tackles, one early (Wright?) and one late (Steen?), for the future.

Agreed. It also would be great to draft a couple of tackles, one early (Wright?) and one late (Steen?), for the future.

Do you really see the Pats carrying 6 OTs on the main roster? With Brown, Reiff, and Anderson all but guaranteed spots, you're talking about using draft capital on two OTs, which would give them 5 unless the late round pick get's cut and makes it to the PS.

Or do you think they cut/trade Brown if they add an OT early?

Do you really see the Pats carrying 6 OTs on the main roster? With Brown, Reiff, and Anderson all but guaranteed spots, you're talking about using draft capital on two OTs, which would give them 5 unless the late round pick get's cut and makes it to the PS.

Or do you think they cut/trade Brown if they add an OT early?
Cousin, This is a "tease". In my 16th Annual DW Toys Trade A Rama coming up, I have a Trade in Round #2 with the Bengals. We receive discgruntled young Left Tackle Jonah Williams who does not want to switch to Right Tackle, and our #46 pick in Round 2, sliding down and taking the Bengals 2nd Round pick #60 and giving them what has been for Trent, a better Right Tackle in Trent Brown.in his career.
Why?
It was an off year in 2022 for Williams and his contract is up. In 2021 he was stellar. He is young and talented. It does not appear the Bengals will have the money to extend his fifth year option anyway. He can be our day one Left Tackle starter.
Who would you be more comfortable with at LT to start 2023 , Brwon or Williams or a young Rookie LT bound to make mistakes?
DW Toys

I think they need someone who can be LT1 when the 2024 season starts. That won’t be Trent Brown, Reilly Rieff, Anthony Steuber, or Connor MacDermott. With Yodny Cajuste’s injury history and demonstrated record of performance I’m not expecting it to be him either. So from my perspective it’s either Anderson or someone they draft or trade for.

I don’t have a great handle on Jonah Williams but frankly Cincinnati’s OL has been nothing special the past couple of years and so clearly they felt Orlando Brown was a big enough improvement over Willams to warrant a huge payout. I also don’t like the fact that Williams is obviously looking for a big payday in the not too distant future which is something the Pats would have to consider as compared to 4 or 5 years at relatively lower pay for a rookie.

So for me the best possible move is to take the future LT1 in round 1 or 2, let Klemm mold him even if that means not having him on the field full time in 2023.

Beyond that, if they had the opportunity on Day 3 to pick someone they should do it, that guy would be competing with everyone they currently have for the 3 or 4 spots they will likely have for OT on their roster. Personally I think Anderson and Brown are the most likely of the rest (but would not be surprised if they traded Brown) and will actually be surprised if Reiff doesn’t retire this yesr

I’m surprised how everyone is writing off Trent Brown at LT. He did a great job there during his first stint with the Pats. Did well enough to parley a good paycheck out of it. IIRC one thing he said about those days was that he really liked the way he was coached. Last year he didn’t have such a good year, but really did any of the OL stand out? How was the OL coaching last year? Maybe with better coaching he can get back to his previous success as the Pats’ LT.

I’m surprised how everyone is writing off Trent Brown at LT. He did a great job there during his first stint with the Pats. Did well enough to parley a good paycheck out of it. IIRC one thing he said about those days was that he really liked the way he was coached. Last year he didn’t have such a good year, but really did any of the OL stand out? How was the OL coaching last year? Maybe with better coaching he can get back to his previous success as the Pats’ LT.

I miss Scar

I miss Scar
I’m hopeful that Klemm will end up developing into a long term fixture with the Patriots, like Scar was. Obviously he’s got a long way to go, but I think he has the potential to be a good one. I’d forgotten or hadn’t known a few of the tidbits from this article:
- Klemm was the first Patriots player drafted by BB
- three Super Bowl rings with the Patriots
- coached by Scar for 5 years
- aspires to be like Scar

What former Patriots OL said about taking Scar’s old job: I’m not in the same 'stratosphere' as coaching legend

So how did his time in New England set Klemm up for an eventual career as a coach? He says it all started with Scarnecchia, who was the team’s legendary offensive line coach from 1999-2013 and 2016-2019.

“Aside from the X’s and O’s, just the impact he had on me as a man, coming here and just learning,” Klemm said. “There’s a lot of places where it’s just ‘rah-rah.’ There’s not a lot of substance to it. This is a place that takes a tremendous amount of pride in bringing the right type of guys and teaching. I want to be a teacher and not just a coach and not just a motivator, you know?”

That was Four years & who knows how many pounds ago.

Dude's finished as a viable starting Left Tackle.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back