PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots Position Analysis: Offensive Line – Post Rookie Camp Moves

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Position Analysis: Offensive Line – Post Rookie Camp Moves
Mark Morse
The Offensive Line has been a source of controversy this off-season. Start with the trade of Shag Mason, which Kristopher Knox of Bleacher Report labeled as “Unfair”. Most Patriots fans felt that we gave Mason away and should have got more for a durable player that was near Pro-Bowl level performer.

The post Patriots Position Analysis: Offensive Line – Post Rookie Camp Moves appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

A little early to be starting to do "analysis" on the OL. Ok a LOT early. But I see more about what they were trying to do this off season. They were trying to get younger AND more athletic II believe he's going to be a big upgrade over Karas. And if Wynn can stay healthy (big if) they will be VERY athletic at LT, LG, and C. and very powerfull at RG and RT. It could be a very good if unheralded OL.

My eyes were really opened up.by that clip Fixit found that show just what an athletic freak Strange is. And while I would have hoped the Pats would have gotten a 3rd or 4th for Mason, I believe they felt they at least as good an option in Owenu and they DID get some much need cap relief. along with the pick.
"

Reactions: Ian
A little early to be starting to do "analysis" on the OL. Ok a LOT early. But I see more about what they were trying to do this off season. They were trying to get younger AND more athletic II believe he's going to be a big upgrade over Karas. And if Wynn can stay healthy (big if) they will be VERY athletic at LT, LG, and C. and very powerfull at RG and RT. It could be a very good if unheralded OL.

My eyes were really opened up.by that clip Fixit found that show just what an athletic freak Strange is. And while I would have hoped the Pats would have gotten a 3rd or 4th for Mason, I believe they felt they at least as good an option in Owenu and they DID get some much need cap relief. along with the pick.
"

Thanks Ken, BB is very good at moving on from a player when there is a drop in play or not good value. BB does not always draft well, but on average, he is very good at moving on from players and FA. I have no idea why he moved on Mason but the Pats saw something and if we could only get a 6th for him (at his pay grade) then the rest of the league was not impressed with Mason either. I think we might have a big upgrade from Mason, and definitely Karras, but the health of Brown and Wynn is the biggest concern. In OTAs I think it was Herron at RT, not Cajuste - no idea why Cajuste did not work out.

Agree it's way too early for an evaluation of the OL. Here's what we know (or don't know) at this stage:

1. OL depth is suspect.
2. LT: inconsistent
3. LG: complete unknown. Despite Strange's fantastic athleticism, he faced almost no strong competition in his 5+ year college career. How he performs against talented NFL DT/DE players is unknown.
4. C: strong starter.
5. RG: good starter w/ great upside.
6. RT: inconsistent

If the starting OL is completely healthy for 17 games, it has potential of being a top #5 OL. If not, see 2021.

I think the move away from Mason and Karras to Onwenu and Strange is a move to improve pass protection.

They moved on from Karras and Mason because they know what they have in Onwenu and knew they'd get a crack at a top notch guard early in the draft.

I loved Mason .. big fan. I think Onwenu deserves his shot, however and has the youth on his side (and a ton of size). Add in Strange to LG who has the ceiling to lock down that position at a high level for the next 8-10 years. I take that.

Other teams also have a hunch by reading the depth chart.. We'd never get fair value for Mason at this stage of his career and our point of the rebuild. A year ago ..diff story.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back