PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots News 9/4: How Will the 2022 Patriots Season Play Out?

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots News 9/4: How Will the 2022 Patriots Season Play Out?
Ian Logue
Good morning, I'm giving Steve a breather this week as we get into this week's column for 9/4, along with some various other NFL notes as we get set for the regular season to kick off this week.

The post Patriots News 9/4: How Will the 2022 Patriots Season Play Out? appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

I stopped listening to Sports Radio a couple of years ago they have gotten too negative. I think they believe the only way they will get listeners is to degrade their team. Part of this I think is that today's generation expects everything right away. You see something comment on Twitter, or Snapchat or whatever and you instantly get hundreds of replies many supporting you.

I don't think they realize how hard it is to build something it takes time, patience, and effort. I believe some of our posters can relate to this and I appreciate being able to come here and follow them. I must admit with the attacks on people here on the board lately it has been less enjoyable, but I now try to follow just the ones I find informative. Thank you for all the effort and time you have put in to managing this board. I am looking forward to this year's games you are making for the posters to play along. I never seem to do well with them, but I have fun.

Take care. Good Article.

Patriots News 9/4: How Will the 2022 Patriots Season Play Out?
Ian Logue
Good morning, I'm giving Steve a breather this week as we get into this week's column for 9/4, along with some various other NFL notes as we get set for the regular season to kick off this week.

The post Patriots News 9/4: How Will the 2022 Patriots Season Play Out? appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)
Those guys are just looking for ways to stir the pot. They have their production meetings and decide on topics and approaches. Don't let them get under your skin. Their goal is to rile up their listeners. The media and fans are into hyperbole. Like many other fans, I seldom listen to these shows anymore. They act like they are there to amuse themselves.

Not sure why you should be shocked at their reaction to your bold 13-4 prediction. Vegas has the Pats wins at 8.5, so you're saying they'll go 4.5 games over. That's pretty unrealistic.

Your entire article mainly speaks about how you feel the Pats will do based on a year 2 improvement of receiving corps and D getting faster. Yet, you completely neglect any improvements made by the teams they will face.

For example, IND beat us last season w/ Wentz, and now we have to face Ryan, who is 10x a better QB and 100x a better leader. They also added Gilly & Ngakoue. Their receivers: Pittman (6'4"), Campbell (6'), rookie Alec Pierce (6'3"), Alie-Cox (6'5") will be a challenge. Their entire OL worked together during all of preseason and is solid. Their RBs are excellent.

ARZ will have Hopkins back & they added Hollywood Brown. CIN improved their OL, which was their biggest weakness. Chase (6'), Higgins (6'4") & Boyd (6'2") will be a handful.

You have them going 2-2 against NFCN but 5-1 against AFCE. They haven't swept MIA since 2016, yet somehow this is the year we do it again despite them improving their OL (among the worst in NFL last 2 seasons), receiving corps & RBs. Their new O scheme has given the Pats fits in the past.

Is it possible the team goes 13-4? Anything is possible. Is it likely? Unlikely.

Not sure why you should be shocked at their reaction to your bold 13-4 prediction. Vegas has the Pats wins at 8.5, so you're saying they'll go 4.5 games over. That's pretty unrealistic.
That wasn't the issue. My issue was with the fact they planned ahead to open the show with it and then misquoted what I wrote on two big areas and then went on from there. Again, if you heard the segment (I transcribed it in the article, which isn't the same thing), you might understand why I was fairly frustrated.

Do I absolutely think they'll win 13? Of course not, especially since the preseason certainly cast some doubt. But again, you're looking at it big picture and obviously, by itself, it seems like a pipe dream. Yet, when you look at it week-by-week, and take into account how things tend to go, it's not impossible, either. That's essentially how it went, I didn't look at the record until after I had written it all out (which I originally did in a post on here back in June) and that was just what it was. I also wrote it based on picking up from where they left off last season, and they are better offensively than they were last year.

As for your other comments about the match-ups, I covered those in what I wrote last night. The only thing I'll mention is that Matt Ryan has never beaten New England, including getting blown out in each of the last two regular-season meetings (25-0 in 2021 and 23-7 in 2017). I'm not saying beating Indy (or the Lions, Bears, Browns, etc.) is a given, but they're not exactly Denver, Kansas City or the Chargers, either. Most of those games during the middle of the year are definitely winnable, but obviously they need to be a better team the next time we see them for that to be possible.

Last edited:
That wasn't the issue. My issue was with the fact they planned ahead to open the show with it and then misquoted what I wrote on two big areas and then went on from there. Again, if you heard the segment (I transcribed it in the article, which isn't the same thing), you might understand why I was fairly frustrated.

Do I absolutely think they'll win 13? Of course not, especially since the preseason certainly cast some doubt. But again, you're looking at it big picture and obviously, by itself, it seems like a pipe dream. Yet, when you look at it week-by-week, and take into account how things tend to go, it's not impossible, either. That's essentially how it went, I didn't look at the record until after I had written it all out (which I originally did in a post on here back in June) and that was just what it was. I also wrote it based on picking up from where they left off last season, and they are better offensively than they were last year.

As for your other comments about the match-ups, I covered those in what I wrote last night. The only thing I'll mention is that Matt Ryan has never beaten New England, including getting blown out in each of the last two regular-season meetings (25-0 in 2021 and 23-7 in 2017). I'm not saying beating Indy (or the Lions, Bears, Browns, etc.) is a given, but they're not exactly Denver, Kansas City or the Chargers, either. Most of those games during the middle of the year are definitely winnable, but obviously they need to be a better team the next time we see them for that to be possible.
I did listen to it. They gave you credit for really believing they could go 13-4 and not being a troll piece.

What do you absolutely believe their record could be (if not 13-4)?

Can't compare Matt Ryan with a terrible 2021 Falcons team with IND with a pretty decent OL, RB, & defense. New England has never beaten Tua, yet you have them sweaping MIA. Can you see how your takes on a week to week basis are highly subjective and biased towards the Pats? It just seems like a feel good article, which is fine.

I did listen to it. They gave you credit for really believing they could go 13-4 and not being a troll piece.
LOL, that was about the only "positive" part of that segment.

As for the record, I feel like all the games I picked were reasonable. The Indy game is also at Gillette, which is why I like their chances. But the only other games that I question are really the opener and Week 3 against the Ravens. After that, I'm good with the rest.

Some people have asked about the Cincy game but let's be honest, if they're playing well at that point in the year (Week 16), is it crazy to think they can beat the Bengals at home? Not really, and that was the premise behind thinking they could win that one and it shouldn't be all that bizarre if they've gotten to the point where they've settled in on both sides of the ball and haven't suffered any catastrophic injuries.

And yes, any prediction piece clearly takes into account best-case scenarios. I guess doom and gloom ones would be enjoyable to some, but that's obviously not what I put together.

Last edited:
LOL, that was about the only "positive" part of that segment.

As for the record, I feel like all the games I picked were reasonable. The Indy game is also at Gillette, which is why I like their chances. But the only other games that I question are really the opener and Week 3 against the Ravens. After that, I'm good with the rest.

Some people have asked about the Cincy game but let's be honest, if they're playing well at that point in the year (Week 16), is it crazy to think they can beat the Bengals at home? Not really, and that was the premise behind thinking they could win that one and it shouldn't be all that bizarre if they've gotten to the point where they've settled in on both sides of the ball and haven't suffered any catastrophic injuries.

And yes, any prediction piece clearly takes into account best-case scenarios. I guess doom and gloom ones would be enjoyable to some, but that's obviously not what I put together.
So you stick with your 13-4 prediction as both reasonable and likely? I don't know. Winning games in the NFL is difficult. Last season only 2 teams won 13 games. In 2020, only 3 teams had =>13 wins. The last year the Pats won 13 games was in 2017 w/ Brady, Dola, Gronk, Cooks, Lewis on their way to a SB.

I'm not sure a prediction of 10 wins is necessarily doom and gloom. It's not necessarily optimistic ones or doom and gloom. I think you can have rosey predictions (>12 wins), reasonable or likely ones (9-11 wins), and doom in gloom ones (5-7 wins).

That seems to be an issue on this forum though. Anything that isn't rosey or optimistic is treated as negative or trolling. People can and should be able to look at all of the information, from all sources and arrive at their own conclusions w/o having to be labeled as trolls or not real Pats fans. It is what it is.

So you stick with your 13-4 prediction as both reasonable and likely? I don't know.
No, I said if I had to potentially change it, I still like the other games with the exception of maybe the opener and the Baltimore game. And I agree, there's a considerable difference between optimistic vs doom and gloom, but there oftentimes doesn't seem to be a whole lot in-between with some people in here at times, unfortunately.

An automatic win against Detroit should no longer assumed. They’ve gotten better, much better.

Reactions: Ian
No, I said if I had to potentially change it, I still like the other games with the exception of maybe the opener and the Baltimore game. And I agree, there's a considerable difference between optimistic vs doom and gloom, but there oftentimes doesn't seem to be a whole lot in-between with some people in here at times, unfortunately.
I see a lot of people looking at a 9 win season as doom and gloom which I think that is squarely where this team falls. It points to the entitlement of much of the fan base after 20 years of winning feeling automatic.

Look at how the roster has changed from opening day 2019 to now. This isn't Aaron Rodgers or Patrick Mahomes inheriting and elevating a fully formed squad, it's a roster that has been constantly churning and redefining itself for three years. The scope of this rebuild has been massive, and we're lucky to not find ourselves in a Seattle or Houston situation.

9 wins could be a success or it could be a disaster, it depends on how it plays out. I think this year will mirror last - a slow start, followed by a big win streak against weak competition, followed by a fade down the stretch. What I am eager to see is, do they go down punching or do they belly up like last year? I think the December/January competition is too stiff for a roster this young with this many holes to keep up, but I want to see a team playing inspired football, giving Buffalo a scare.

Reactions: Ian

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back