PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Patriots News 3-24, Standing Pat with #3, Mock Draft 2.0

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Bingo, Steve.

After re-signing their core internal free agents, the Patriots’ biggest needs—quarterback, wide receiver, and LT—have still not been addressed. Although I like the signings of Brissett, Okorafor, and Osborn, they are not the impact moves the team needs for the 2024 season.​
They need a quarterback, a wide receiver, and an LT. With many premier players gone, it may be time to overpay one or two of the guys left (WR/OT) on a one-year deal. And asking to fill all three positions via the draft puts too much pressure on the board, falling correctly to your needs. They have to fill at least one via free agency.​

While the current regime doesn't appear to be big on giving playing time and big contracts to aging vets, in this case perhaps they will make an exception. Somebody with a certain amount of competency has to play left tackle.

Maybe Packer Way will consider the former Green Bay football player?

I like Okorafor; he has a wealth of starting experience and has been a good tackle. But he’s mostly been on the right side. I see him as a great depth addition or possibly a swing tackle. Could he or Calvin Anderson play left tackle? It is a possibility for sure. But with Anderson’s health issues of last season, at this point, it isn’t something you’d want to risk this season.​
Here’s where the team could pay for an aging vet like David Bakhtiari to come in on a one-year deal and give the team what he has left in the tank. He’s also had injury concerns but is still a good left tackle when he is healthy. He would probably ask for more than they’d want to pay, but it is probably worth it for a one-year deal.​

They absolutely need to sign Backturnallrighty. I can’t spell his name.

Yet.

They should probably trade down a little, get a top WR, then use the 2nd rd pick and draft capital from the trade to come back into the 1st round and get a LT.
That's a safe draft compared to the potential of a swing and a miss on a franchise QB that could set the whole process back by years if it goes bad. I really enjoyed dynasty 1.0 and 2.0, but I also remember well the futility for 89-92. I prefer a repeat of the coming of Parcells as opposed to his predecessor... The Mayo experiment could go either way depending on this draft.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back