NEW ARTICLE: Patriots Look back and Look Forward - Offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Patriots Look back and Look Forward - Offense

Mark Morse

As we head into Training Camp, scheduled to begin July 28th, lets take a look back at 2019 season to see what went right and wrong.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Interesting...However:

Brady did NOT skip ALL off-season workouts, just the voluntary ones; he attended all of the mandatory workouts though.

Mo Snuze wasn't much better than useless before his high-ankle sprain anyway...but he's a Rutgers guy, so...

Shack Mason's run blocking was mentioned, but not his putrid pass blocking?

The FO did NOT know that Yawndy Cachoo's pre-draft injury would be a season-ending one before the season ever began.

"QB play by Tom Brady was a problem too...he missed wide open receivers when he did have time to throw..."

How many time did this happen? Twice? Twenty times? Sounds like you think it happened a couple of times every game...

"They would dare Brady and his WRs to throw deep. Teams will not be able to do this with Newton..."

Because...?

"I’m excited to see what a motivated Cam Newton, healthy Offensive Line, improved Wide Receivers and Tights Ends in an innovative offense by Josh McDaniel might do this year..."

The WRs have Not improved.

"...if the Offense can move the ball against quality opponents, they will be a dangerous contender all season."

And if my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle.

Last edited:
Interesting...However:

Brady did NOT skip ALL off-season workouts, just the voluntary ones; he attended all of the mandatory workouts though.

Mo Snuze wasn't much better than useless before his high-ankle sprain anyway...but he's a Rutgers guy, so...

Shack Mason's run blocking was mentioned, but not his putrid pass blocking?

The FO did NOT know that Yawndy Cachoo's pre-draft injury would be a season-ending one before the season ever began.

"QB play by Tom Brady was a problem too...he missed wide open receivers when he did have time to throw..."

How many time did this happen? Twice? Twenty times? Sounds like you think it happened a couple of times every game...

"They would dare Brady and his WRs to throw deep. Teams will not be able to do this with Newton..."

Because...?

"I’m excited to see what a motivated Cam Newton, healthy Offensive Line, improved Wide Receivers and Tights Ends in an innovative offense by Josh McDaniel might do this year..."

"...if the Offense can move the ball against quality opponents, they will be a dangerous contender all season."

And if my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle.
Normally I would bemoan such a dark analysis, Captain, but since it is you why would I mock such legendary cynicism. ;)

However since I am as optimistic as you are dark, allow me to put a bit more positive spin on the upcoming offensive team we should be seeing.

Don't forget, but as badly as the offense limped to its conclusion, they didn't abjectly suck for most of the season.

The OL, - last season - Started out WITHOUT 2 key performers in Andrews and Wynn. Add to that Cannon's and Mason's subpar year, it is hard to believe that the offense was able to move the ball at all last season.

The OL THIS season - Andrews is back, and when he's healthy, he's a top 10 C in the league (some say even better) Wynn, when he finally reentered the line up consistently show why he was a first round pick. And if you believe that Mason and Cannon's bad season was a result of nagging injuries, or just a down year, they have had enough good years to believe a rebound year is more than just possible.

Cajuste, Frodholt, Elumanour are all huge question marks as depth possibilities, but we've started successful seasons with bigger questions among the starters let alone the reserves.
I agree with Bedard that this could be one of the best OL's in the league this season.

I categorically disagree with your opinion of the WR position. Just health alone improves Sanu and Edelman's play to start the season. I also think Harry will become a much more effective receiver this season. IIRC big physical WR types tend to take a little longer to develop into effective WR's than quick twitch ones.

TE's- Well we know that it can't be worse than last year. So by definition, there is literally no bar at all to seeing improvement at this position. The UCLA kid is really intriguing and Keene is looks to to me at least to be a more athletic and versatile version of James Devlin.

RB's - The RB's are good, if not spectacular, and will greatly enjoy having the FB position back this season. Make no mistake, I can easily see the Pats being in the top 5 in running the football.

QB- HUGE questions of course. Cam could return to the form that made him one of most efficient QB's in the league 2 seasons ago, OR his arm could explode half way though TC.

Personally I still think Stidham is a year away from being ready to take over, but again, who knows how he will react to the opportunity of being able to compete for the job. I think POTENTIALLY he can be the LT answer, but we shall see.

In summary, I can't see a scenario where this offensive edition isn't going to be better than last seasons (injuries being the X factor of course)

Can't wait to see how it evolves....if they actually make it to the field and can stay on it. I think even you will be pleasantly surprised.

Two polar opposite posts. Hoping for the 2nd but expect somewhere in the middle.

I think a lot will change offensively - comparing to last year's offensive squad does not compute like it did for the last 20 years. Time for a change and I think BB already started.

Before signing Cam we signed Vitale and drafted Keene, both swiss army knives which we did not have last year - why did BB make those decisions? McDaniels says Michel has been one dimensional and they need to have him do more. The Pats hired Jedd Fisch as the QB coach. All major signs the offense will be different.

Brady's only weakness is his mobility, historically Cam ran too much IMO. Stidham can run a bit too as evidenced at Auburn. So all signs point to the Pats offense being more varied with more movement. Harry can run jet sweeps, Vitale is a dual threat, Michel and Harris can run and catch, and if the QB runs more (impossible to run less than Brady did) than everything will look different. The OLine is relatively mobile as well.

The Pats need more motion, and Cam needs less motion, so hopefully that will balance out. I think it will be fun to watch as it unfolds. Comparing the Pats' 2020 offense to the 2019 offense, player by player or otherwise, is a waste of time IMO.

???

I understand that you think that Edelman, Sanu, Harry and Meyers are a very weak set of WR's, and that Byrd doesn't add much.

However, Edelman, Sanu and Harry were injured last year. It seems unreasonable to believer that they will not improve some when they are healthy.

If our former QB had stayed, I would be ready to predict with a decently high amount of confidence that unless QB play was light years better than it was last year, this team would have missed the playoffs for the first time with him as a starter since 2002. Brady scared absolutely nobody last season and at age 43, it was more likely than not that improvement was not coming.

With Cam - assuming he’s the guy- this offense will be very different than it would have been. I’m willing to see where guys like Harry and Sanu fit in this new scheme as with Sony. We won’t be the Ravens- Cam is not the same kind of runner as Jackson- but we might be almost as effective as they were. IF Cam is healthy.

I think a lot will change offensively - comparing to last year's offensive squad does not compute like it did for the last 20 years. Time for a change and I think BB already started.

Before signing Cam we signed Vitale and drafted Keene, both swiss army knives which we did not have last year - why did BB make those decisions? McDaniels says Michel has been one dimensional and they need to have him do more. The Pats hired Jedd Fisch as the QB coach. All major signs the offense will be different.

Brady's only weakness is his mobility, historically Cam ran too much IMO. Stidham can run a bit too as evidenced at Auburn. So all signs point to the Pats offense being more varied with more movement. Harry can run jet sweeps, Vitale is a dual threat, Michel and Harris can run and catch, and if the QB runs more (impossible to run less than Brady did) than everything will look different. The OLine is relatively mobile as well.

The Pats need more motion, and Cam needs less motion, so hopefully that will balance out. I think it will be fun to watch as it unfolds. Comparing the Pats' 2020 offense to the 2019 offense, player by player or otherwise, is a waste of time IMO.
Liked your post. Fwiw the Pats were top 3 or 5 in pre/snap motion before a pass I believe. Not sure about running plays. I'd bet we could use more there.

Rams lived off it in 2018 and I know just about everyone's avg went up using jet.

If our offense is healthy (Cam/OL) it should be a very fun watch. It's everything. With this defense we can still make noise.

On offense I'm really hoping Josh let's loose. This is the year to do so. I'm a big Josh fan but he has to get more creative using our RB's in rec roles. Obviously and again health is key. Sony, Rex & White need to be utilized and meshed with our rec game. Let them work in space. Give Cam easy targets early in the game while working in Harry & 11.

The OL, - last season - Started out WITHOUT 2 key performers in Andrews and Wynn.
Wynn started the season and had a really good game against Pittsburgh. Started out good in Miami until getting injured early.

Brady scared absolutely nobody last season and at age 43, it was more likely than not that improvement was not coming.
Defenses are only scared of the QB when they have the skill players to back them up. Drew Brees wouldn't scare anybody if he didn't have Michael Thomas. In fact, most QB's won't scare you if you know they don't have anybody to throw to.

Last edited:
"One aspect of Newton’s game that needs improvement is his play action passing. He needs to sell the handoff better."

I agree, it's pretty bad. In fact, he would routinely fake to a "RB" that wasn't even in the backfield when in shotgun.

"After missing all his rookie season LT Isaiah Wynn didn’t get into the lineup until week 9."

As I mentioned above, he started weeks 1 and 2.

Normally I would bemoan such a dark analysis, Captain, but since it is you why would I mock such legendary cynicism. ;)

However since I am as optimistic as you are dark, allow me to put a bit more positive spin on the upcoming offensive team we should be seeing.

Don't forget, but as badly as the offense limped to its conclusion, they didn't abjectly suck for most of the season.

The OL, - last season - Started out WITHOUT 2 key performers in Andrews and Wynn. Add to that Cannon's and Mason's subpar year, it is hard to believe that the offense was able to move the ball at all last season.

The OL THIS season - Andrews is back, and when he's healthy, he's a top 10 C in the league (some say even better) Wynn, when he finally reentered the line up consistently show why he was a first round pick. And if you believe that Mason and Cannon's bad season was a result of nagging injuries, or just a down year, they have had enough good years to believe a rebound year is more than just possible.

Cajuste, Frodholt, Elumanour are all huge question marks as depth possibilities, but we've started successful seasons with bigger questions among the starters let alone the reserves.
I agree with Bedard that this could be one of the best OL's in the league this season.

I categorically disagree with your opinion of the WR position. Just health alone improves Sanu and Edelman's play to start the season. I also think Harry will become a much more effective receiver this season. IIRC big physical WR types tend to take a little longer to develop into effective WR's than quick twitch ones.

TE's- Well we know that it can't be worse than last year. So by definition, there is literally no bar at all to seeing improvement at this position. The UCLA kid is really intriguing and Keene is looks to to me at least to be a more athletic and versatile version of James Devlin.

RB's - The RB's are good, if not spectacular, and will greatly enjoy having the FB position back this season. Make no mistake, I can easily see the Pats being in the top 5 in running the football.

QB- HUGE questions of course. Cam could return to the form that made him one of most efficient QB's in the league 2 seasons ago, OR his arm could explode half way though TC.

Personally I still think Stidham is a year away from being ready to take over, but again, who knows how he will react to the opportunity of being able to compete for the job. I think POTENTIALLY he can be the LT answer, but we shall see.

In summary, I can't see a scenario where this offensive edition isn't going to be better than last seasons (injuries being the X factor of course)

Can't wait to see how it evolves....if they actually make it to the field and can stay on it. I think even you will be pleasantly surprised.
You are correct, this fan of classic heavy rock is indeed a dark thinker, of the Hope for the best but expect the worst category...You are also correct that it is possible for some facets of the offense to improve from last season...

OL
Improvement: A healthy and full season at LT for Isaiah Wynn. I'm not writing off his career as an injury-prone part-timer, yet...It's not like Matt Light, Nate Solder or Trent Brown are going to the HOF without a ticket either, and I still believe that Wynn can compete with that group over time as the dependable if not spectacular blind-side protector that we've been accustomed to seeing here...
I also can see him moving inside to LG next year if Joe Thuney is not retained and another, more physically dominant LT is drafted or otherwise acquired...
David Andrews is returning (fingers crossed), although and to his credit Mongo Jr Jr did a very admirable job as his replacement, especially after he solved his shotgun-snapping issues...
And although Thuney's playing here this season under the franchise tag does not qualify as an improvement, I'd still rather have him under that condition than not have him at all.

No improvement: The right side of the line...Shack Mason at this point in his career is who he is:
a little bowling ball of a run-blocking RG but also a below-average pass blocker, even at his most healthy...He has the 2020 season to prove that he's worthy of keeping in 2021 under the current terms of his contract...
And I fear the end is coming very, very soon for a physically deteriorating Cannon ...there's Zero chance he's on the 2021 53 without a massive pay cut...He might not even be on this year's 53 if it weren't for the complete lack of experienced, quality depth behind the starters; in fact I would not have chosen ANY of Cachoo, Frodo, ElManure, Cunnyham, OneMenu & the other two stiffs where they were taken during their respective drafts...Billy should've used his late 2nd/early 3rd-rounder this year on OT Joshua Jones.

WR
We're just going to have to disagree here...Edelman & Mo' Snuze might begin the season healthier, but they'll also begin it older (they're already over 30) and likely end it less healthy than they ended this past season...Whenever I see Kneal Harry, I'll forever think of AJ Brown (very, very similar to the Aaron Dropson - Keenan Allen dynamic)...As for the rest of them: all easily replaceable.

TE
We're in agreement here, though I would've chosen Adam Trautman ahead of both Asiasi and especially Dalton Keene...and I liked Keene throughout the draft process, but it certainly wasn't close to a 101st-overall kind of like however.

RB
We're also in agreement here, but only if Damien the Omen Harris is FREED! Run Omen run!

QB
Yep, the biggest question mark of them all, anywhere from Better than 2018/19 Brady all the way to Sam Darnold would be an improvement...I just don't want to suffer through an 8-8 season and still be no closer to knowing who our QB of the Future will be, and then also not have the draft position needed to secure one if we do indeed still need to secure one.

I'm also not as concerned over McD's ability to adopt game plans for either QB if necessary; he's done it in the past, with varying degrees of success, for the likes of Matt Cassel, Kyle Orton, Sam Bradford, Jimmy G & Jacoby Brissett, so there should be no excuses there...Now if we could just somehow get him to fix some of his dumb-ass short-yardage play-calling...

Last edited:
Wynn started the season and had a really good game against Pittsburgh. Started out good in Miami until getting injured early.

Defenses are only scared of the QB when they have the skill players to back them up. Drew Brees wouldn't scare anybody if he didn't have Michael Thomas. In fact, most QB's won't scare you if you know they don't have anybody to throw to.
I was about to say, looking back Pitt was a big W for Wynn. Dupree struggled his first few years in the league but had his best season to date last year. He actually looked liked he was a player in the league. Wynn handled him easily.

I was also quite impressed with Wynn's anchor ability to stop power coming at him and his recognition and patience picking up stunts. Him and Thuney really had chemistry at times and just took care of business on those.

Big year for him. I'm a lot I more excited for what I'll see than nervous. He's a talented player.

???

I understand that you think that Edelman, Sanu, Harry and Meyers are a very weak set of WR's, and that Byrd doesn't add much.

However, Edelman, Sanu and Harry were injured last year. It seems unreasonable to believer that they will not improve some when they are healthy.
Edelman & Sanu should be healthy to start the season, but I would be pleasantly surprised if they are both healthy to finish the season...And both of these over-30s will be another year over 30...

Regarding Harry, I'm feeling those Chad Jackson/Aaron Dropson vibes all over again...

Meyers, Byrd et al
Don't add much, at all...

Maybe the Thomas kid can get his head correct enough to help on KO returns if he can also show more potential in the passing game than his competitor Byrd...Lord knows we can sure use some down-field explosiveness...

The rest? Nice stories, some of them...But I would again be pleasantly surprised if Any of them are worth keeping over a potential Cut-Down Day pickup by the end of TC.

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss reports Mohamed Sanu has "hired a full-time coach to live with him" this offseason.

Per Reiss, Sanu is hoping the unusual setup "creates a situation where his relentless offseason work produces tangible on-field results in 2020." Sanu is smarting after his injury-marred Patriots debut in 2019. He is reportedly "faster, quicker, leaner and in better shape" following offseason ankle surgery. Often forgotten in discussions about the Patriots, Sanu could be in for a bushel of targets after the team surrendered a second-round pick last fall.

Patriots’ Mohamed Sanu hires full-time WR coach to live with him (report)

Last edited:
Offensively, everything is riding on newton and/or stidham. And until camp begins, who knows what we have at the qb position.

on the offensive line, I think it all comes down to health. If they stay healthy, They are a fantastic line.

thuney is already an all pro and continues his all pro play! Andrews and cannon are rock solid. If healthy Wynn takes the next step to becoming a pro bowler! If healthy Mason is one of the best run blockers in football and among the worst pass protectors.

I also think, if healthy, cajuste becomes that situational third tackle that bb occasionally trots out onto the field. Also, I think cajuste plays really well when pressed to duty for the two or three games cannon misses due to injury.

one final thought, Herron could beat out frodholtz for the first backup guard position.

ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss reports Mohamed Sanu has "hired a full-time coach to live with him" this offseason.

Per Reiss, Sanu is hoping the unusual setup "creates a situation where his relentless offseason work produces tangible on-field results in 2020." Sanu is smarting after his injury-marred Patriots debut in 2019. He is reportedly "faster, quicker, leaner and in better shape" following offseason ankle surgery. Often forgotten in discussions about the Patriots, Sanu could be in for a bushel of targets after the team surrendered a second-round pick last fall.

Patriots’ Mohamed Sanu hires full-time WR coach to live with him (report)

Surprised this doesn't happen more often actually.

The biggest issue is Sanu is a SLOT receiver who competes with football space with Edelman and he isn't as good as an outside WR

Newton over the past two seasons in the red zone ranked fifth in touchdowns per dropback (0.27) and third in adjusted completion percentage (77.6%). Meanwhile, White has the second-most red-zone receptions (34) and second-highest PFF receiving grade (86.6) in the red zone among all positions since 2018.

View attachment 27874

Top Best Ball stacks for fantasy football 2020 | Fantasy Football News, Rankings and Projections | PFF
As good a player as White has been here for us, CMC is on a way different level; I'm not sure if it's fair to expect a 1-for-1 transference of production only because the QB's the same...Another reason why retaining Burkhead is more important than some are giving it credit for being...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back