PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: NFL RUMORS: Garoppolo Staying Put? That's What it Sounds Like

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
NFL RUMORS: Garoppolo Staying Put? That's What it Sounds Like
Ian Logue
Obviously, here in New England there has been a lot of discussion about the future of 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo, who many would like to see potentially make a return back to New England.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Honestly, I am not sure how much I believe this. And how much is just the team throwing it out there so teams don't try and fleece them.

Reputable guys have said the niners are checking in on every QB. You don't do that if you are happy with your current QB

Also, Jimmy has played 1 full season. Are shanahan and Lynch going to hedge their bets on Jimmy staying healthy for a year? Another injury and it's a lost season for them again. Ownership may start getting antsy.

Honestly, I am not sure how much I believe this. And how much is just the team throwing it out there so teams don't try and fleece them.

Reputable guys have said the niners are checking in on every QB. You don't do that if you are happy with your current QB

Also, Jimmy has played 1 full season. Are shanahan and Lynch going to hedge their bets on Jimmy staying healthy for a year? Another injury and it's a lost season for them again. Ownership may start getting antsy.
They would drive him to New England for 15

Basically, the perspective out there is that they have too many other needs to spend a pick on a QB and all this chatter is essentially coming from everywhere outside of San Francisco, yet everyone who actually is close to the team or covers it isn't seeing them making a change. At least not unless they got a significant upgrade. So far, that hasn't been the case.

For the sake of making this easy, I'll just paste the quote in here and bold out the notable part:

"If you do bring back Jimmy Garoppolo, which I think you and I think is the most likely scenario – and just as an aside, it seems like everybody who’s disconnected from the 49ers believes the 49ers are getting rid of Garoppolo, and everybody who covers the team or talks to anybody with the team, they all sort of believe that Jimmy Garoppolo is coming back, which is an interesting dichotomy that I hope people are paying attention to – if Garoppolo comes back, it might be that you maximize him by getting the ball out of his hands quickly with multiple receiver sets instead of some of these longer developing plays with play-action and things like that.”

So, that's the local perspective.

Last edited:
1613666977073.gif

It’s going to be an Alex Smith/Cam Newton/Jarrett Stidham season if we’re going to rely on a veteran, or they’re rolling with a rookie.

Basically, the perspective out there is that they have too many other needs to spend a pick on a QB and all this chatter is essentially coming from everywhere outside of San Francisco, yet everyone who actually is close to the team or covers it isn't seeing them making a change. At least not unless they got a significant upgrade. So far, that hasn't been the case.

For the sake of making this easy, I'll just paste the quote in here and bold out the notable part:

"If you do bring back Jimmy Garoppolo, which I think you and I think is the most likely scenario – and just as an aside, it seems like everybody who’s disconnected from the 49ers believes the 49ers are getting rid of Garoppolo, and everybody who covers the team or talks to anybody with the team, they all sort of believe that Jimmy Garoppolo is coming back, which is an interesting dichotomy that I hope people are paying attention to – if Garoppolo comes back, it might be that you maximize him by getting the ball out of his hands quickly with multiple receiver sets instead of some of these longer developing plays with play-action and things like that.”

Still don't buy this "confidence in Garoppolo" that those in the article talk about and they are just going to build around him. He only has 2 years left on his contract. There's too much smoke. Even from some of the San Fran local guys. They will draft a QB at #12 if they cant find an upgrade in trade/free agency.

Now do I think Jimmy G stays on the Niners. I think there is a good chance he does. They aren't going to let him go without a viable replacement. and that replacement may not come or be ready until next year if they draft a guy at #12. They also can cut him with a $1.8million dead cap hit next year so theres no harm in keeping him. Its like what everyone wants the patriots to do...just that we don't have a veteran guy holding down the fort.

I also don't buy they are just waiting to "open up the playbook for Jimmy G" Here are his playoff stats from the super bowl year.
1613669695202.png

A 5 year stud a LB, DT, or OL.

Jimmy will 100% be injured every year for significant time. That's the issue.

Who broke the Wentz and Stafford trades?
Local media?
LMFAO
Think about what local football mediots are doing right now....Scouring Twitter and waiting for Schefter to drop some news so they can retweet it as if they had sources and insight.

Who broke the Wentz and Stafford trades?
Local media?
LMFAO
Think about what local football mediots are doing right now....Scouring Twitter and waiting for Schefter to drop some news so they can retweet it as if they had sources and insight.
It was Schefter, although you're right, I don't think there was a local reporter in either Philadelphia or Indianapolis that had it prior to him.

I really do not understand the interest in Jimmy. This is a guy who:

*Has a below average arm. They stopped calling deep passes for him because he regularly underthrows WRs on these routes because of poor arm strength

* Still make questionable rookie type decisions with the football. Sometimes he fumbles when he should squeeze the ball and take a sack. Sometimes tosses the ball up for grabs when he should throw the ball away. Sometimes he throws into double coverage when he shouldn't.

*Locks onto receivers.
When Garoppolo drops straight back -- meaning no play fake -- he often stares down his intended receiver. Gets the ball, turns his head and eyeballs his target while the defense eyeballs him. Garoppolo often telegraphs his passes and leads the defense to where he'll go with the ball. And he has such a laser-focus on his target, he sometimes fails to see the underneath coverage, meaning linebackers standing right in front of him.

*Cannot stay on the field
This is a guy who has routinely missed playing time to injuries

* Does not have a contract that is commensurate with his abilities. Despite being a mid to low tier QB he's due roughly 50 million over the next two years.

* Will require assets to acquire. There are a few free agents out there that are at his level that will cost nothing to acquire as far as players or draft capital to acquire. We have too many holes to waste draft picks on a guy who will be on the wrong side of 30 a month into next season. There is a reason there are rumors out there that the 49ers are looking to move on. A reason Shannahan has run a run heavy offense with JG. It's not because he is a top ten QB or because he trusts him.

I will admit I was one of the people who wanted to see him follow Brady if he retired. But after seing a larger sample size, I am all set unless we could get him as a bridge QB for Jacoby Brissette type money and not have to give up anything. But that's obviously not going to happen

I think Jimmy is staying in SF, and have said from the beginning they won't move him until they get a better option...

All this chatter isn't coming from the outside though... It is coming from the SF front office and its repeated willingness to kick the tires on different quarterbacks, starting with Brady... Thats not "outside" SF chatter...

If BB and Lynch have such an amazing relationship built on mutual respect, I'm sure Lynch would have no problem returning the favor to BB to offload his mistake

If BB bends over and overpays trading for Jimmy G, yikes....

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back