PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: MORSE: 15 Observations from Patriots Pre-season Game #1.

"2) Did James Ferentz play the entire game at Center? He was finally replaced by Marcus Martin with 9:00 left in the 4th quarter. This was yeoman’s work on a brutally hot night in Foxboro. I was a little afraid of having Ferentz going up against the superb starting front 7 of WFT. With Andrews and Karras both out, Ferentz took one for the team and allowed a good evaluation of the QBs with solid if unspectacular OC play. This type of play just may have secured a spot on the team for the 31-year-old veteran of 5 NFL seasons..."

Why should it? Thanksdad's still a suck-ass lightweight. There are always available Centers better than he is...ALWAYS.

"8) It was Pre-season for the coach also. He failed to challenge two plays, one of which was obviously in the Patriots favor. Belichick could see the big screen (if he looked up). Jakobi Myers clearly had his hands under the ball. That would have been a 15-yard reception and 1st down. Mike Reiss asked Belichick about this in his press conference after the game. Belichick responded, “I didn’t feel like challenging it.” What a condescending remark by the coach and totally unacceptable. The players are out there working their asses off to make the team and the coach doesn’t feel like challenging the play! Later he didn’t challenge Mac Jones’s scramble when he clearly made the 1st down. He probably wanted to get more plays by the defense so he could evaluate them..."

Bravo! I could not have said it better myself.

"11) Here is a name you didn’t hear all night, but he played very well in the secondary. Michael Jackson had 5 tackles but they weren’t downfield on the WR he was covering. They were on RB’s the LBs couldn’t contain. Jackson had excellent coverage and often blanketed his receiver..."

Don't know about this one...I thought he allowed at least a couple of easy completions, including one for a key 1st down during the Skins' TD drive in the 2nd quarter...

"12) On the other hand, Jalen Mills was flat-out awful. He is giving Stephon Gilmore more leverage every time he plays poorly. I hope he doesn’t make the team..."

This one, however, is something with which I completely agree...What a terrible, Terrible signing.

"15) Quinn Nordin was the star of the night with three Field Goals. His second was 50 yards long and would have been good from 60. It hit the top of the net! Too bad he missed that extra point which marred a good night. That missed extra point might have cost the team if it was a regular-season game..."

Still gotta see more - including ALL XP attempts converted - before I'm ready to make the switch...

Hoping a guy on a 24 million/9 million guaranteed contract doesn't make the team is...???? (Newsflash: he's making the team)

BB probably didn't challenge the Meyers catch for a bunch of reasons, like 3rd and 5 or to see how Jones reacted to getting screwed over, which will happen all the time. Or maybe he just didn't feel like it - both Jones and Meyers are, you know, making the team. "Condescending" is the kind of thing I expect from Mazz, not from Patsfans.

Here is a name you didn’t hear all night, but he played very well in the secondary. Michael Jackson had 5 tackles but they weren’t downfield on the WR he was covering. They were on RB’s the LBs couldn’t contain. Jackson had excellent coverage and often blanketed his receiver..."
I didn’t notice Jackson much but this is encouraging if he grabs the spot at 6’1” 210 lbs he is a bigger (longer) and stronger player than his competition. Correction: he might be battling Bryant for a spot. Jackson might be more of a perimeter player and Bryant at 5'9" might be better inside. My fear is that we get Jalen Mills who could fill some nice roles at safety, but I think he lacks the ability to cover NFL WRs on the outside.

Last edited:
I didn’t notice Jackson much but this is encouraging if he grabs the spot at 6’1” 210 lbs he is a bigger (longer) and stronger player than his competition. He is fighting the long term potential consideration as at 35 he is a one-year rental. Ideally you’d prefer to invest in a developing player who could be around for a couple years or more, such as Bryant. My fear is that we get Jalen Mills who could fill some nice roles at safety, but has demonstrated he lacks the ability to cover NFL WRs.

BB approach to next year's secondary depth is a bit perplexing - Gilmore and JC Jackson are not signed after this year, McCourty might not be back, and we did not draft a secondary player before the 6th round. M Jackson (this can get confusing with two corners called Jackson), might have looked great on the practice squad last year and BB expects him to emerge? And Mills goes to safety? So we sign Gilmore or Jackson and hope DMac lasts one more year?

I am not a Bryant fan. Seems like a player that plays hard, is willing and positive, but limited physically. Guys like M Jackson and Wilkerson are far more athletic so I am more hopeful.

"8) It was Pre-season for the coach also. He failed to challenge two plays, one of which was obviously in the Patriots favor. Belichick could see the big screen (if he looked up). Jakobi Myers clearly had his hands under the ball. That would have been a 15-yard reception and 1st down. Mike Reiss asked Belichick about this in his press conference after the game. Belichick responded, “I didn’t feel like challenging it.” What a condescending remark by the coach and totally unacceptable. The players are out there working their asses off to make the team and the coach doesn’t feel like challenging the play! Later he didn’t challenge Mac Jones’s scramble when he clearly made the 1st down. He probably wanted to get more plays by the defense so he could evaluate them..."

Bravo! I could not have said it better myself.
So we're saying everyone in the stands knew the replays would have overturned the calls and BB didn't?

That seems pretty condescending to me.

Clearly BB knew the replays would have overturned the calls but decided he'd rather see how the offense reacted when they don't get the calls.

The staff doesn't decide who makes the team based on fantasy points.

I didn’t notice Jackson much but this is encouraging if he grabs the spot at 6’1” 210 lbs he is a bigger (longer) and stronger player than his competition. He is fighting the long term potential consideration as at 35 he is a one-year rental. Ideally you’d prefer to invest in a developing player who could be around for a couple years or more, such as Bryant. My fear is that we get Jalen Mills who could fill some nice roles at safety, but I think he lacks the ability to cover NFL WRs.
He's 25 - typo?

So we're saying everyone in the stands knew the replays would have overturned the calls and BB didn't?

That seems pretty condescending to me.

Clearly BB knew the replays would have overturned the calls but decided he'd rather see how the offense reacted when they don't get the calls.

The staff doesn't decide who makes the team based on fantasy points.
I don't see the issue. Belichick wanted to see Mac in a 3rd and 5 situation, rather than a 1st and ten. Preseason games are not about winning or even points.

I don't see the issue. Belichick wanted to see Mac in a 3rd and 5 situation, rather than a 1st and ten. Preseason games are not about winning or even points.

And that's fine...But an answer more informative and less condescending than "I didn't feel like it", especially to Mike Reiss, his most supportive member of the press, would've been more appropriate, and more courteous & professional too.

And that's fine...But an answer more informative and less condescending than "I didn't feel like it", especially to Mike Reiss, his most supportive member of the press, would've been more appropriate, and more courteous & professional too.
5jo9sb.jpg

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back