PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Mac Jones Now Lives in a Different World Ahead of Patriots’ Monday Night Showdown vs Bears

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Mac Jones Now Lives in a Different World Ahead of Patriots’ Monday Night Showdown vs Bears
Ian Logue
Heading into Monday night's game, this is definitely an important start for New England Patriots quarterback Mac Jones as he steps back under center for the first time in nearly a month after suffering an ankle injury against the Ravens back on September 25th.

The post Mac Jones Now Lives in a Different World Ahead of Patriots’ Monday Night Showdown vs Bears appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Zappe needs to

1 Play in a big time game. Like a Ravens,,Bills, Eagles.

2 Be challenged by a defense to see how he adjusts to adversity.

3 Play from behind, comeback and win.

Based on what you stated in the article do you think Matt P and the offensive brain trust will dial back the stretching of the offense? We saw a huge stride forward under Zappe , not because he's better than Mac, because they made minor adjustments to their schemes... More play action, shorter passes (combined with better oline play), playing more under center...

With a powerful running game is there really a need to put the weight of the offense on Mac's shoulders while he is still developing? There are a very few number of qbs who can shoulder that load right away... Mac is a good QB but he's not that good... He may benefit in the long run from a more steady increase in developmental responsibilities than how they started the season on offense...

Based on what you stated in the article do you think Matt P and the offensive brain trust will dial back the stretching of the offense? We saw a huge stride forward under Zappe , not because he's better than Mac, because they made minor adjustments to their schemes... More play action, shorter passes (combined with better oline play), playing more under center...

With a powerful running game is there really a need to put the weight of the offense on Mac's shoulders while he is still developing? There are a very few number of qbs who can shoulder that load right away... Mac is a good QB but he's not that good... He may benefit in the long run from a more steady increase in developmental responsibilities than how they started the season on offense...
I do think we’ll see something similar, with some of the down the field stuff likely being a focus if they’re able to get the same looks. There have been plays Thornton has been open and I think they’ll try and exploit those, but I think for the most part a lot of what we’ve seen will continue.

I do wonder if maybe we’ll see them go up tempo and stress the defense, which Jones did a few times last year once he settled in. But I think Matt did a good job of getting rid of what didn’t work while sticking to areas that have obviously been successful. Between that and the ground game, I like their chances to hopefully keep things going.

I do think we’ll see something similar, with some of the down the field stuff likely being a focus if they’re able to get the same looks. There have been plays Thornton has been open and I think they’ll try and exploit those, but I think for the most part a lot of what we’ve seen will continue.

I do wonder if maybe we’ll see them go up tempo and stress the defense, which Jones did a few times last year once he settled in. But I think Matt did a good job of getting rid of what didn’t work while sticking to areas that have obviously been successful. Between that and the ground game, I like their chances to hopefully keep things going.

yeah there was one play in particular that Thornton had his man beat deep, even threw up his hand as a signal... Zappe just didn't see him... Maybe he should get one of those we're # 1 foam fingers, tuck it into his football hand warmer/fanny pack to be used when necessary...

For Zappe, his performance over the last two games has raised his stock to the point where Jones comes into Monday night needing to be razor-sharp with a lot on the line. As it is, while fans in New England spent the offseason buying up his jersey, they remain as fickle as ever. Everyone loves an underdog and Jones went from being one last year against Cam Newton to now sitting in Zappe’s way from allowing the rookie to remain the starter.
It ain't about the fans. As the old saying goes, if you do what the people in the stands tell you to do, you'll be joining them soon.

The Felgers of this world can whine all they want, but that's all they can do, BB decides who plays and who doesn't.

Personally, I think BB and the senior staff feel that Mac Jones has a lot more upside than Bailey Zappe, and he's going to get a long leash.

They are focused on the long term, not one MNF game.

It ain't about the fans. As the old saying goes, if you do what the people in the stands tell you to do, you'll be joining them soon.

The Felgers of this world can whine all they want, but that's all they can do, BB decides who plays and who doesn't.

Personally, I think BB and the senior staff feel that Mac Jones has a lot more upside than Bailey Zappe, and he's going to get a long leash.

They are focused on the long term, not one MNF game.

To be fair, I thought that Bill's leash on Mac would be longer than that... But the eye in the sky and in the stands don't lie... Mac never should've started in the first place.

To be fair, I thought that Bill's leash on Mac would be longer than that... But the eye in the sky and in the stands don't lie... Mac never should've started in the first place.
I agree. I was really surprised when Bailey was put in, even though it was clear Mac was playing a sh!tty game.

To me, the ironic thing was Bill was mocked for pumping up the Bears early in the week, but clearly the game last night showed the kinds of things he was trying to point out. I presume BB was also feeling the matchup was a challenge for NE. Field's ability to run showed we (still) aren't very good against good running QBs.

I suppose another ironic thing is by Bailey coming in and coming down to earth after the first two good series was that now the air has been let out of the Bailey balloon at least to some degree. It seems a full blown QB controversy was inevitable, and now it has arrived.

I've always said this season was all about finding out who can really play and who will be let go. It seems the 8 to 9 win estimates many made may turn out to be optimistic. This was definitely a game that was supposed to be a W.

and they went right back into the same old offense for Mac to work with... frustrating to say the least...

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back