PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Mac Jones Appears on WEEI, Asks Host, “Have you ever played football?”

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Mac Jones Appears on WEEI, Asks Host, “Have you ever played football?”
Ian Logue
Patriots quarterback Mac Jones appeared on Jones and Mego with Arcand on Monday at Gillette Stadium, with the signal-caller taking part in the first of likely many awkward exchanges heading into the 2023 football season.

The post Mac Jones Appears on WEEI, Asks Host, “Have you ever played football?” appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

For anyone who isn’t familiar with her, she’s been covering news in this area for a while and has become one of the better on-air female sports personalities locally.

Casual sexism 101: She's ok, for a girl.

Actually, she's not very good, but it's not because of gender, it's because EEI is not willing/able to pay people with more talent, ability, experience, etc.

Actually, she's not very good, but it's not because of gender, it's because EEI is not willing/able to pay people with more talent, ability, experience, etc.

I don't really have a problem with what Ian wrote. I am not sure Ian was intimating that she was graded on a gender scale but just mentioning that she is one of the better female sports hosts. Here is Ian's next sentence:

She was terrific when she was with the Herald and also great on NBC Sports Boston’s Quick Slants.

And also wrote in the next paragraph:

That’s one of the reasons why she’s become so well-respected, and it’s clear by the calls that come in that people absolutely listen to what she has to say.

Doesn't sound like he thinks she isn't very good, but gets a sliding scale because she is a woman.

But I feel bad for Mego. I think she is decent enough of a host. But there is no winning with two Felger wannabes like Adam Jones and Christian Arcand. Neither are 1/5000000th as good as Felger. And I think Felger is a farce of what he used to be.

I still do not get WEEI's strategy here. Counter program the most listened to radio show in Boston with two guys who are wannabes of the host of that show. They should have gone the other way and either got hosts who would talk real sports or just homers. I doubt those hosts would be enough to over take Felger and Mazz, but they would do far better in the ratings that talentless and annoying Felger clone.

I don't really have a problem with what Ian wrote. I am not sure Ian was intimating that she was graded on a gender scale but just mentioning that she is one of the better female sports hosts. Here is Ian's next sentence:

She was terrific when she was with the Herald and also great on NBC Sports Boston’s Quick Slants.

And also wrote in the next paragraph:

That’s one of the reasons why she’s become so well-respected, and it’s clear by the calls that come in that people absolutely listen to what she has to say.

Doesn't sound like he thinks she isn't very good, but gets a sliding scale because she is a woman.

But I feel bad for Mego. I think she is decent enough of a host. But there is no winning with two Felger wannabes like Adam Jones and Christian Arcand. Neither are 1/5000000th as good as Felger. And I think Felger is a farce of what he used to be.

I still do not get WEEI's strategy here. Counter program the most listened to radio show in Boston with two guys who are wannabes of the host of that show. They should have gone the other way and either got hosts who would talk real sports or just homers. I doubt those hosts would be enough to over take Felger and Mazz, but they would do far better in the ratings that talentless and annoying Felger clone.
I didn't mean any of it from a gender standpoint. My comments were basically directed at the natural reaction guys tend to have when it comes to female hosts (which I've seen in here at various points). But I think she's exceptional and extremely intelligent, to the point where it makes Jones harder to listen to when he goes off the rails. My point, which I wrote about at various parts of that, was that she's the strength of that show, and the style between the two is so significantly different that Jones needs to figure out where he ultimately wants to go because the current approach just isn't working.

As I said, he's a good guy off-camera (he helped Russ out quite a bit during the early days of our podcast and was just terrific and extremely supportive), and I hope he can evolve and figure it out. I'm not a live radio type of person, so I definitely don't envy what it's like trying to do what he's doing.

Last edited:
I thought Dale & Holley was probably the best approach, because it was a more intellectual listen with interviews with football people, etc. which made it pretty interesting and worth making sure you tuned in for them. But it's tough because that doesn't generate the same energy or engagement - ie: ratings.

Again, no idea what the answer is. But I definitely agree with what you're saying.

Back to the point of the article - I think this is a funny one. Mac was definitely a little sarcastic, but the actual full comment was more of an overall compliment - like "you had a good assessment there since you haven't ever played." Although it's something a kid could diagnose so I'm not sure how high of a compliment it really is.

Back to the point of the article - I think this is a funny one. Mac was definitely a little sarcastic, but the actual full comment was more of an overall compliment - like "you had a good assessment there since you haven't ever played." Although it's something a kid could diagnose so I'm not sure how great of a compliment it really is.
I think he worded it that way, but I certainly got the impression like he was aware of what's been said on that show about him (I know you probably don't ever listen to it, but it's been pretty over-the-top at times), and Mac's tone changed a bit toward him the longer it ran, including after that comment.

I didn't mean any of it from a gender standpoint. My comments were basically directed at the natural reaction guys tend to have when it comes to female hosts (which I've seen in here at various points). But I think she's exceptional and extremely intelligent, to the point where it makes Jones harder to listen to when he goes off the rails. My point, which I wrote about at various parts of that, was that she's the strength of that show, and the style between the two is so significantly different that Jones needs to figure out where he ultimately wants to go because the current approach just isn't working.

As I said, he's a good guy off-camera (he helped Russ out quite a bit during the early days of our podcast and was just terrific and extremely supportive), and I hope he can evolve and figure it out. I'm not a live radio type of person, so I definitely don't envy what it's like trying to do what he's doing.

Yeah, I didn't think anything of the line in your article. You definitely made it clear you are a fan of her's.

As for Jones, I only know him from his radio personality and I know most of these guys put on an act on the air or at least amplify their personalities. Regular people are boring on the air (Hi Dale!). I am sorry that he is a good guy off the air because it makes it harder for me to wish he would crash and burn already and get him off the air.

On my point of how the outrageous stuff is what tends to garner the most interest, I literally see very little in terms of traffic from search on the hundreds of things that I've written about all offseason.

I write this, and noticed a spike and saw that this happened:
1692715555699.png

Just funny how that tends to go, and clearly, this falls under that category. :rolleyes:

On my point of how the outrageous stuff is what tends to garner the most interest, I literally see very little in terms of traffic from search on the hundreds of things that I've written about all offseason.

I write this, and noticed a spike and saw that this happened:
View attachment 52229

Just funny how that tends to go, and clearly, this falls under that category. :rolleyes:

Yes, this is how most sports talk has gone. It is all hot takes.

That is why I listen to podcasts now. Sports radio rarely actually talks actual sports anymore. It is all drama and BS.

But there are people who do hot takes better than others. Like him or hate him, Felger is good at. Adam Jones is not.

That is why I listen to podcasts now. Sports radio rarely actually talks actual sports anymore. It is all drama and BS.

But there are people who do hot takes better than others. Like him or hate him, Felger is good at. Adam Jones is not.
I try and listen to both shows at times (usually on-demand) for the sake of trying to get a sense of what's being talked about so that it's not as big of a surprise when I see it pop up on here, which allows me to at least understand where some of it's coming from.

But I agree - I usually filter most of it out by listening just to the interviews, and then other podcasts more than the live shows.

Casual whining over trivial things 101.

Great article Ian.

I would’ve guessed that Felger was a good guy off the radio but would’ve never guessed Adam Jones was. I was disappointed when they named Adam Jones the new host because I knew it would be just like Felgers show but even more so.

Good for Mac Jones, he needs to make sure he stands his ground during these interviews.

The the troll type of sports persona has always existed; just like on this board, it can be a winning formula because it works well when the team does poorly -- as almost all teams usually do -- and when things go well, fans are too happy to be vindictive.

I do think it has gotten worse these days; Gen Z folks in particular are amazingly cynical. Reddit (for instance) is a cesspool not just in sports but in gaming as well.

I confess as a retired boomer from the tech sector, I came be to utterly intolerant of cynics because they are so toxic to innovation.

I recognize that's not a helpful attitude on a sports board, so I apologize for my automatic contempt.

Not at all in the slightest what Ian said or even remotely implied in any shape, way, or form.

I’ve got to start listening to podcasts, I keep telling myself to but just haven’t done it yet. I normally put Felger on to see if they are actually talking sports, it normally lasts just a couple minutes then I witch to SIRIUS.

I try and listen to both shows at times (usually on-demand) for the sake of trying to get a sense of what's being talked about so that it's not as big of a surprise when I see it pop up on here, which allows me to at least understand where some of it's coming from.

But I agree - I usually filter most of it out by listening just to the interviews, and then other podcasts more than the live shows.

I listen to Zo and Betrand on podcasts, but selectively. I am glad that they list the subjects they are covering each hour and just cherry pick what I listen to. I do Felger and Mazz, but usually only when Bedard or Pirillo are on.

Reactions: Ian

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back