PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Joe Montana Finally Admits Tom Brady Is The "GOAT" During Interview With ESPN's "First Take"

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Joe Montana Finally Admits Tom Brady Is The "GOAT" During Interview With ESPN's "First Take"
Robert Alvarez
Joe Montana calls Tom Brady the Greatest Quarterback of All-Time, says he took the top spot "long ago".

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Joe Montana Finally Admits Tom Brady Is The "GOAT" During Interview With ESPN's "First Take"
Robert Alvarez
Joe Montana calls Tom Brady the Greatest Quarterback of All-Time, says he took the top spot "long ago".

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

The youtube link has been removed.

must have been painful for Joe. I love Montana but I know he was hesitant for YEARS to say Brady was better. But at this point it's not even close to a debate.

Another Great bends the knee. This was Jerry Rice on 8-Feb-21. He doesn't mention that he played in an era when footballs got stuck to his gloves.

“I don’t have seven Super Bowl rings, but I think I played in an era when football was more of a contact sport. You’re seeing a lot of that now — players are protected,” Rice said. “When you have seven rings, you’re doing something right. I think with Brady, he still wants to play. He said something about playing until he’s 45. I think he can do it now in this league because players are so much more protected. So, yeah, he can have that GOAT status. I never wanted that status anyhow.”

So salty, lmao.

Last edited:
So when did this extra protection kick in that invalidates Brady's status as goat? I thought football was pretty tough when he got his first 3 superbowls in 4 years. Brady has always been super durable and he gets the ball out quicker than most quarterbacks. I've seen Brady get folded, especially in the early years, and pop right back up.

Save that shade for Rodgers and Mahommes. They consistently limp around after a sack or two. Their brittle bodies are the ones benefitting from extra protection.

Being an old bastich with 60 years of NFL experience under my belt, I must say Jerry is batshyt insane if he thinks he was ever "greatest NFL player". Great is reserved for the likes of Walter Payton and Barry Sanders. These players are TIMELESS IMO...you turn on any highlight and sit back and just enjoy the hell out of it. Jerry Rice was a compilier with great players around him. Hall of Fame for sure. Greatest player of all time? C'mon man...krist, go to youtube right now and search 'Bo Jackson" if you want to see TRUE greatness

Last edited:
Another Great drops the knee. This was Jerry Rice on 8-Feb-21. He doesn't mention that he played in an era when footballs got stuck to his gloves.

“I don’t have seven Super Bowl rings, but I think I played in an era when football was more of a contact sport. You’re seeing a lot of that now — players are protected,” Rice said. “When you have seven rings, you’re doing something right. I think with Brady, he still wants to play. He said something about playing until he’s 45. I think he can do it now in this league because players are so much more protected. So, yeah, he can have that GOAT status. I never wanted that status anyhow.”

So salty, lmao.
Whateva, Sticky Fingaz!

Interesting when many stubborn yet rational folks finally recognized this after 49, and most DEFINITELY after 51 at the latest.

Interesting when many stubborn yet rational folks finally recognized this after 49, and most DEFINITELY after 51 at the latest.
This. Everyone should have realized it after Brady dismantled the Legion of Boom for his 4th ring and 3rd Super Bowl MVP. But you still had people clinging to the stupid belief that 4/4 is better than 4/6 because they think it’s better to lose earlier in the playoffs.

Everyone should have realized it after the Falcons Super Bowl but even then you’ve had people who said he wasn’t. Those people should not discuss football.

Last edited:
So when did this extra protection kick in that invalidates Brady's status as goat? I thought football was pretty tough when he got his first 3 superbowls in 4 years. Brady has always been super durable and he gets the ball out quicker than most quarterbacks. I've seen Brady get folded, especially in the early years, and pop right back up.
Let’s ask Alex Smith if he thinks it's still tough.

This. Everyone should have realized it after Brady dismantled the Legion of Boom for his 4th ring and 3rd Super Bowl MVP. But you still had people clinging to the stupid belief that 4/4 is better than 4/6 because they think it’s better to lose earlier in the playoffs.

Everyone should have realized it after the Falcons Super Bowl but even then you’ve had people who said he wasn’t. Those people should not discuss football.
Thank you for seeing the light on this. The argument that making it to a Super Bowl and losing is worse than choking in the wild card round is the most flawed argument in sports.

Good to see Joe Montana finally admit the unavoidable truth. Next up: Terry Bradshaw.

I have no problem with Joe Cool, I was a kid when I saw his late 80s run and he was the gold standard for a long time. Rice however has been mouthy since 2015 but changed his tune after getting heat for using stickum.

The extra protection argument is dumb, plenty of QBs get serious injuries today. There has to be more rules because the athletes today are insane and concussions are real. If you took the governor off and let every DB go full-tilt nobody would survive. Brady played his early career under the old rules so I don’t want to hear it.

Lastly WR is not comparable to QB. QB is the most important position in sports and Brady has him doubled-up and more on rings.

Thank you for seeing the light on this. The argument that making it to a Super Bowl and losing is worse than choking in the wild card round is the most flawed argument in sports.

Good to see Joe Montana finally admit the unavoidable truth. Next up: Terry Bradshaw.
Don’t care if Terry says it or not. Montana is held in higher regard than him by just about everyone.

And yet, some people (you for one) want to give credit to PEDton Manning for choking in the WC round 4 times and the Div round 5 times for his 9 one and done playoffs.

I always thought that Bradshaw was a Brady fan.

Last edited:
And yet, some people want to give credit to PEDton Manning for choking in the WC round 4 times and the Div round 5 times for his 9 one and done playoffs.

I always thought that Bradshaw was a Brady fan.
It seemed he was after the Falcons game. But over the last few years he's been throwing little shots at Brady. Like before the Packers championship game this year, he said Brady was the best quarterback of the past 25 years.

It seemed he was after the Falcons game. But over the last few years he's been throwing little shots at Brady. Like before the Packers championship game this year, he said Brady was the best quarterback of the past 25 years.
I remember a time when the comment "the best in 25 years" in football meant more than one player's career. With each season Brady's career gets more incredible and Belichick's decision more frustrating.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back