PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: For Patriots QB Mac Jones, It’s Time to Get to Work

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
For Patriots QB Mac Jones, It’s Time to Get to Work
Ian Logue
Now that it's game day, Mac Jones will obviously be the focus of the attention on Sunday as the rookie tries to lead the Patriots over what should be a difficult Dolphins opponent in front of the home crowd at Gillette Stadium.

The post For Patriots QB Mac Jones, It’s Time to Get to Work appeared first on PatsFans.com.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

Brady obviously came in during his first full season following his own rookie year and pulled off the impossible, thanks largely due to the fact he was careful with the football, made smart decisions, and didn’t turn it over.”

I think that’s the blueprint. Being cerebral enough already to understand the offense to a degree not seen before for a Patriots rookie QB and also making adjustments depending on what he sees the defense doing…IMO Mac will have so much short passing success as a rookie that he will break some records and cause a mini fad much in the same way that teams are drafting running QB’s. I drink the coolaid.

Mac has been working hard all day every day. Football 100% of the time aside from sleeping.
He's going to make mistakes but will learn and minimize repeats.

Have to remind myself if he falls on his face he could only learn from it.

He doesn't have a pro body so the biggest concern is going for 21 games and being durable. I don't mean having a jacked body but rather be able to take 45 sacks, play every snap with max focus and throwing ability, and also hit small windows with the right timing, power, and anticipation.

He doesn't have a pro body so the biggest concern is going for 21 games and being durable. I don't mean having a jacked body but rather be able to take 45 sacks, play every snap with max focus and throwing ability, and also hit small windows with the right timing, power, and anticipation.
If he is dumping it off quickly with short passes a large percentage of the time…sacks will be very difficult. When the D starts loading up the middle of the field and getting closer the LOS…then Mac will make them pay. I think the game plan will be quick short passes until the D adjusts.

Last edited:
If he is dumping it off quickly with short passes a large percentage of the time…sacks will be very difficult. When the D starts loading up the middle of the field…then Mac will make them pay. I think the game plan will be quick short passes until the D adjusts.

Agree but I don't believe the oc will have the coaching discipline to run 2 second passes all year long. Guy has a massive ego so get ready for stupid 5wide slow developing plays, going medium/deep, where Mac takes massive hits to the body a couple times a game.

Have to remind myself if he falls on his face he could only learn from it.
Agree. Hey, the Pats did okay the season BB, Brady, and the team buried a football from an abysmal Miami loss. :)

Agree but I don't believe the oc will have the coaching discipline to run 2 second passes all year long. Guy has a massive ego so get ready for stupid 5wide slow developing plays, going medium/deep, where Mac takes massive hits to the body a couple times a game.
If all he runs is 2 second passes we are dead. You have to use the whole field or they take away what you want to do.
Many plays are designed as much to set up other plays as to be a huge success.

If all he runs is 2 second passes we are dead. You have to use the whole field or they take away what you want to do.
Many plays are designed as much to set up other plays as to be a huge success.

Would feel much better if Bill O'Brien or Brian Daboll (or even Weiss) were calling the plays. We have an oc who has repeatedly shown lack of play calling discipline to stat chase. Mac is going to be good but I fear for the guy's health, there are going to be bonehead play calls where our rookie QB takes bone crunching hits (think Brady'05/'06).

With this roster they should be in 12 personnel (2TEs) over 70% of the time and play action a ton, run a ton and also fake run constantly to create throwing windows for Mac. But I suspect this oc is going to go for stats and PR ("look how smart we are") instead of looking out for the kid.

Would feel much better if Bill O'Brien or Brian Daboll (or even Weiss) were calling the plays. We have an oc who has repeatedly shown lack of play calling discipline to stat chase. Mac is going to be good but I fear for the guy's health, there are going to be bonehead play calls where our rookie QB takes bone crunching hits (think Brady'05/'06).

With this roster they should be in 12 personnel (2TEs) over 70% of the time and play action a ton, run a ton and also fake run constantly to create throwing windows for Mac. But I suspect this oc is going to go for stats and PR ("look how smart we are") instead of looking out for the kid.
Yeah that’s just silly.

If he is dumping it off quickly with short passes a large percentage of the time…sacks will be very difficult. When the D starts loading up the middle of the field and getting closer the LOS…then Mac will make them pay. I think the game plan will be quick short passes until the D adjusts.

Sorry I’m allowed one Volin post per year.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back