PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Five Thoughts Following the Patriots Loss to the Packers

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Yup, count me in the camp of......

I was happy with all of the coaching decisions in regulation (including playing it safe during the last drive from the 2 yard line), but not going for it in OT on 4th and 5 is a head scratcher for me.

This isn't just Monday morning quarterbacking either....i was of the mindset that...
1.) This is your best chance to win. You're a first down away from field goal range and a shot at winning the game.
2.) Aaron Rodgers is on the other team. You forced him to three and out already, but giving him too many chances would be playing with fire.
3.) Really, what is the downside? Let's say they went for it, missed, and then Rodgers drives them for a winning field goal. Do you think everyone would come with pitchforks today saying "Why did they go for it?". I don't think so, I think they would have understood that they were a team 'playing above their heads' on the road and would be smart enough to recognize that "THAT was their best chance to win'.

Now I sound like a big complainer. While I was disappointed with that decision, overall I was pretty satisfied. They are NOT a good team, but it was good to see them 'hang in there' against the favored Packers.

3.) Really, what is the downside? Let's say they went for it, missed, and then Rodgers drives them for a winning field goal. Do you think everyone would come with pitchforks today saying "Why did they go for it?".
If he took a sack (as he had on the last play-action pass) or threw an interception (as he almost did on third down), I GUARANTEE you that people would be upset they didn't run it on second down when the run game was working and they had just gotten a big chunk on first down.

- Don't let the numbers fool you: the clueless little rag-arm, UDFA-talent 3rd-stringer sucked yesterday. He had no help from his brane trust, naturally, but almost all of the sacks he took were preventable, and my goodness but he was absolutely ****ing HORRIBLE throwing on the move, totally weak-ass sh!t.

- Wynn/Lose is such a ****ing liability now that he was replaced by broken-down, washed-up has-been Marcus Cannon - and it was an Improvement! He was NEVER an NFL-caliber Offensive Tackle; and now he's nothing more than a ****ing Thief, like a few others in the building...

- The very last run they tried should've been called to go off Right Tackle, where there was Much more room; they instead tried to duplicate the success of Harris' TD run but the GB defense saw right through it and after stumbling, Harris never had a chance... They should've tried some other run on 3rd down... and still another on 4th down, especially after seeing Zappy the Pin-Head's last couple of clueless 3rd-down drop-backs...

"5) While it’s OK to be a little frustrated with some of the playcalls and decisions, anyone who continues to bash Belichick overall should hopefully start to realize that it’s definitely not warranted.

This is a team that has played above expectations, with the defense clearly being one of the biggest surprises of the season. In fact, most of their issues have stemmed from personnel problems from in-game losses, forcing them to have to react on the fly and it’s put them in some tough spots.

Last week’s loss of Lawrence Guy exposed the middle of the run against Baltimore and two weeks ago it was the loss of Adrian Phillips in Miami that set up that blown coverage that Miami scored on.

When you take each of those situations in context, the defense has been prepared well enough where it’s been turnovers by the offense that have been the difference.

Seeing how well they held Rodgers in check Sunday was yet another reminder of how good they’ve been, with the game plans and preparation being about as close to perfect as you could ask for.

This is a team that has the talent but just hasn’t been able to do quite enough to push themselves over the hump. Again, the conservative calls at the end will certainly be scrutinized, but the overall plans have been more than enough to get them where they should be. That even includes Matt Patricia, who called a pretty solid game on Sunday.

The one bright spot is New England comes away from this game knowing they can hang with anyone, regardless of who is out there. While the players can feel confident the coaches will put them in the best position to win, how Sunday ultimately finished was a reminder that they also, rookie or no rookie, need to have the confidence to just let the players go out there and get it done."

- Who wrote this last piece of drivel, the NEP publicity staff? The zebras & GB's weird QB tried to GIVE the game to us, but we were too untalented, too undisciplined, too mal-coached and too QB-incompetent to take it... AND THAT'S ALL ON BILL...HELLO?!?

• Winner
Reactions: Ian
who dialed up the pass coverage on GB's winning drive? The corners were playing tight all game then for some reason they were 10 yds off the Green Bay receivers.

- Don't let the numbers fool you: the clueless little rag-arm, UDFA-talent 3rd-stringer sucked yesterday. He had no help from his brane trust, naturally, but almost all of the sacks he took were preventable, and my goodness but he was absolutely ****ing HORRIBLE throwing on the move, totally weak-ass sh!t.

- Wynn/Lose is such a ****ing liability now that he was replaced by broken-down, washed-up has-been Marcus Cannon - and it was an Improvement! He was NEVER an NFL-caliber Offensive Tackle; and now he's nothing more than a ****ing Thief, like a few others in the building...

- The very last run they tried should've been called to go off Right Tackle, where there was Much more room; they instead tried to duplicate the success of Harris' TD run but the GB defense saw right through it and after stumbling, Harris never had a chance... They should've tried some other run on 3rd down... and still another on 4th down, especially after seeing Zappy the Pin-Head's last couple of clueless 3rd-down drop-backs...

"5) While it’s OK to be a little frustrated with some of the playcalls and decisions, anyone who continues to bash Belichick overall should hopefully start to realize that it’s definitely not warranted.

This is a team that has played above expectations, with the defense clearly being one of the biggest surprises of the season. In fact, most of their issues have stemmed from personnel problems from in-game losses, forcing them to have to react on the fly and it’s put them in some tough spots.

Last week’s loss of Lawrence Guy exposed the middle of the run against Baltimore and two weeks ago it was the loss of Adrian Phillips in Miami that set up that blown coverage that Miami scored on.

When you take each of those situations in context, the defense has been prepared well enough where it’s been turnovers by the offense that have been the difference.

Seeing how well they held Rodgers in check Sunday was yet another reminder of how good they’ve been, with the game plans and preparation being about as close to perfect as you could ask for.

This is a team that has the talent but just hasn’t been able to do quite enough to push themselves over the hump. Again, the conservative calls at the end will certainly be scrutinized, but the overall plans have been more than enough to get them where they should be. That even includes Matt Patricia, who called a pretty solid game on Sunday.

The one bright spot is New England comes away from this game knowing they can hang with anyone, regardless of who is out there. While the players can feel confident the coaches will put them in the best position to win, how Sunday ultimately finished was a reminder that they also, rookie or no rookie, need to have the confidence to just let the players go out there and get it done."

- Who wrote this last piece of drivel, the NEP publicity staff? The zebras & GB's weird QB tried to GIVE the game to us, but we were too untalented, too undisciplined, too mal-coached and too QB-incompetent to take it... AND THAT'S ALL ON BILL...HELLO?!?
I couldn't even read this, You hate The Pats, we get it...move along.

This is a team that has the talent but just hasn’t been able to do quite enough to push themselves over the hump.

Obviously we are all entitled to our own opinion, but I would comfortably rank the Pats talent in the bottom third of the league.

Obviously we are all entitled to our own opinion, but I would comfortably rank the Pats talent in the bottom third of the league.

I agree... Did I actually write that?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back