PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NEW ARTICLE: Brady Proved on Sunday the Patriots Gave Up On Him Too Soon

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Brady Proved on Sunday the Patriots Gave Up On Him Too Soon
Ian Logue
Obviously, everything has to end. Moving on from Brady needed to happen eventually, but the fact New England put Brady in the position to have to move on is the part that will potentially go down as one of the more frustrating ones in team history.

Continue reading...

(If you enjoyed this entry - hit the Thumbs Up/If not, hit the Thumbs down in this thread)

So, BB should have bet against all data and history that says that QB's in the 40's fall off a cliff and fast? What about going against his own philosophy of getting rid of a player a year early rather than a year late. What Brady is doing at his age is unprecedented and it's easy with hindsight to look back and say BB should have known Brady was going to keep playing at a high level.

And, as I said in another thread, with what money were they going to pay Brady? And who was he going to be throwing to if he decided to play with the Pats this past season? I'll hang up and listen.

So, BB should have bet against all data and history that says that QB's in the 40's fall off a cliff and fast? What about going against his own philosophy of getting rid of a player a year early rather than a year late. What Brady is doing at his age is unprecedented and it's easy with hindsight to look back and say BB should have known Brady was going to keep playing at a high level.

And, as I said in another thread, with what money were they going to pay Brady? And who was he going to be throwing to if he decided to play with the Pats this past season? I'll hang up and listen.
If you’re going to bet on a 40 year old QB there’s only one 40 year old to bet on and nobody else.

Bill got his reboot. Im fine with that but for his job’s sake we better see a contending team soon.

Pats might have picked up a receiver or two for Brady if he stayed but since they picked up Newton it's possible they decided the offense was going to be more an RPO one and new receivers weren't necessary. Either way, be it Brady or Newton, the roster was sorely insufficient. Brady saw this. Belichick disagreed and thought they were going to be okay enough to kick the quarterback can down the road one year at a time until they found the new guy. My theory anyway

Brady blew it. He should have stayed. Goes to Tampa and has to throw to Mike Evans, Chris Godwin, Antonio Brown and that Miller kid, instead of Jakoby Meyers, N'Keal Harry, and some fast Byrd whose name I already forgot?

Pfft.

He could have had Asiasi, Keene, and Izzo, and opted for OJ Howard, Cam Brate, and Gronkowski?

He's out of his mind.

It is what it is. Brady's departure I treat like a "divorce" with BB. They did not get on well,they stopped being on the same page and they simply wanted to change the environment - especially Brady. With no doubt we have lost the best QB in the league but it is not time to shed tears and we should move on. Finding a future QB is the main aim right now.

It is what it is. Brady's departure I treat like a "divorce" with BB. They did not get on well,they stopped being on the same page and they simply wanted to change the environment - especially Brady. With no doubt we have lost the best QB in the league but it is not time to shed tears and we should move on. Finding a future QB is the main aim right now.
This will be as intriguing an offseason as any one I can remember. Game on.

They did, but also people need to look at both rosters and really question if the Patriots with Brady would be a superbowl team.

And I think the answer is no. Now that is totally Bills fault for botching the draft. But this year would be another 25td 10interception lose in the wild card or divisional round year.

I think at brady's age both knew by the time bill can put together a super bowl roster to compete it might be too late. Brady has probably 2 years left which would be wasted on rebuilding.

It must go right up kraft and bills @$$ though. It devalues their brand and the "patriot way". Now the clock is on Bill to at least get this team competing again.

Another 7-9 season and the heat is going to get turned up on the Patriots

I think the obvious fact is that Brady took everything he could from the Patriots, and when the 2nd dynasty ('13-'19) left the team in a cap hole and a talent depravity, he jumped to the greener retirement home to live out his golden NFL years. Many anointed "that team" as champion-caliber from the get go because of the skill weapons in abundance. Brady has flaws, and would have struggled a lot on the Pats this year. But, he can achieve his goals with 2 good years in TB and hang it up at 45.
I for one, would rather they lose to the repeat Chiefs. Because a SB victory with a new team, would cast a dark shadow on the Pats dynastic legacy.

Unless the Pats gave Brady the weapons he has now in Tampa, I don't think they blew it. Again, I don't see the current Patriots with or without Brady beating either KC or Buffalo this year. I think with Brady, the Pats may have made it into the playoffs and then made a quick early exit.

Personally, I still think based on Brady's age and the state of the Patriots' roster, they made the right decision. I think where they made the mistake was not just putting Stidham in for the entire season and see if he could sink or swim or just tank the season for one of the top QBs. This year sucked anyway because of COVID. And the Pats have tons of cap space this offseason in an offseason where a lot of teams are probably going to have to dump good players just to get under the cap. Strategically, this was a good time to make the break.

If the Pats weren't going to contend for a Super Bowl which they weren't, I think it was best for both parties and let Brady go somewhere where he might and give the Pats a chance to rebuild. No matter what Brady did this year, he is at the age that he could potentially hit the age wall hard and fast at any time (see Brett Favre or even Drew Brees). Let's say this ends up being the last year that Brady plays at a high level, the Pats would just be one year later in the post Brady rebuild with not much to show for it.

They did, but also people need to look at both rosters and really question if the Patriots with Brady would be a superbowl team.

And I think the answer is no. Now that is totally Bills fault for botching the draft. But this year would be another 25td 10interception lose in the wild card or divisional round year.

I think at brady's age both knew by the time bill can put together a super bowl roster to compete it might be too late. Brady has probably 2 years left which would be wasted on rebuilding.

It must go right up kraft and bills @$$ though. It devalues their brand and the "patriot way". Now the clock is on Bill to at least get this team competing again.

Another 7-9 season and the heat is going to get turned up on the Patriots
Bill's rebuild shows no progression and his seat will feel very warm in 2023. He got the reboot he wanted, with a mulligan in 2020 and now it's time to deliver.

The issue was that Belichick’s bet was that Stidham or whoever they could find in the bargain bin would be better than Brady. The cap space was negligible because we struggled because of it anyways this year and even having Brady next year was clearly superior than having an extra 20 million off the books but no QB in sight.

Bill's rebuild shows no progression and his seat will feel very warm in 2023. He got the reboot he wanted, with a mulligan in 2020 and now it's time to deliver.

Well he has lots of cap space and lots of QBs are available.

I'm not so high on the #15 pick as some are. At #10 sure. But that pick doesn't have a high track record of great QBs

Well he has lots of cap space and lots of QBs are available.

I'm not so high on the #15 pick as some are. At #10 sure. But that pick doesn't have a high track record of great QBs
Eason was picked at 15. LOL

Brady wasn't asking for a long term deal. He asked for 2 years. It's not really that much of a stretch cap-wise. Just FYI--the Patriots were $30m under the cap this year.

Unless the Pats gave Brady the weapons he has now in Tampa, I don't think they blew it. Again, I don't see the current Patriots with or without Brady beating either KC or Buffalo this year. I think with Brady, the Pats may have made it into the playoffs and then made a quick early exit.

Personally, I still think based on Brady's age and the state of the Patriots' roster, they made the right decision. I think where they made the mistake was not just putting Stidham in for the entire season and see if he could sink or swim or just tank the season for one of the top QBs. This year sucked anyway because of COVID. And the Pats have tons of cap space this offseason in an offseason where a lot of teams are probably going to have to dump good players just to get under the cap. Strategically, this was a good time to make the break.

If the Pats weren't going to contend for a Super Bowl which they weren't, I think it was best for both parties and let Brady go somewhere where he might and give the Pats a chance to rebuild. No matter what Brady did this year, he is at the age that he could potentially hit the age wall hard and fast at any time (see Brett Favre or even Drew Brees). Let's say this ends up being the last year that Brady plays at a high level, the Pats would just be one year later in the post Brady rebuild with not much to show for it.

I tend to think that if Brady hits the wall next year, he won't push it more one year. I don't think any team should be concerned with Brady hanging on for a $20m paycheck.

gave up on him too soon? no

i think it's clear that Tom Brady can still play at a fairly high level at 43.......he's proven that

i think in hindsight it's clear that they could have extended him multi-year in 2017, kept the cap hit reasonable, and they could still be getting upper tier QB play out of him, for the most part

whether or not they could have/would have built a championship caliber team along with not, i'm not sure......i really think Tom staying at a high level for so long really altered how they attacked he draft/free agency, and really altered their plans.....so i am not sure they would have been in the same cap mess/talent drain they ended up in, because i don't think that was wholly due to 'operator error', ie front office failings......some of it was due to the situation they found themselves in, i think 'long term planning' ended up being let's squeeze one more year out because Tom is still getting it done......for about 5 years, haha

i think what IS clear is that considering all of this unpredictability, that the 'divorce' was best for both parties.......no one really saw this level of play at 43, and if you did, you should have been an active part of this forum 5 years ago lol......and i'd be even more sad if TB12 was still with this team, playing out his string with a team we all knew couldn't compete for a Lombardi

The issue was that Belichick’s bet was that Stidham or whoever they could find in the bargain bin would be better than Brady. The cap space was negligible because we struggled because of it anyways this year and even having Brady next year was clearly superior than having an extra 20 million off the books but no QB in sight.

I don't think he bet Stidham or anyone else he got would be better than Brady. He just felt it was the best time to start to rebuild. Probably because he knew he didn't have the roster to beat KC with or without Brady.

For decades now, people have talked about Belichick loves to let players go one year too early than one year too late. This move seems to be classic Belichick for good or bad.

We already know this. We knew that we would be walking away from a few productive years of Tom Brady.

The fact of the matter is he wanted to go. The Patriots were going to need a couple years to retool in order to become premium competitors no matter what we did with Brady and Brady didn't want to risk spending his last years spinning his wheels. it was mutually agreed that it was time to part ways. In short we didn't fire him any more than he fired us.

I actually expect another 2-3 years of strong but declining play from Brady. Who knows, if we get our act together he might even come back at some point. But the Patriots were no longer Brady's best bet to keep winning, and both sides made a business decision. Probably a very emotional one. But also probably the right one

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back