PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE@BUF post-game (over)reaction thread

The defense, for whatever reason, was playing a ton of zone today from what I saw. Those crossing patterns and slants were going to be there all day long as long as Manuel found the holes in the zone. The Pats didn't give him anything deep outside the numbers.

I understood what our defense was doing. It just makes more sense to me to force EJ to try completing lower percentage deep passes instead of giving him those easy short crossing patterns especially since we weren't blitzing or getting pressure. It made for a bad recipe had EJ actually caught rhythm and started looking like a legit QB. How often had inexperienced QBs have a great day against our defense just recently the past few years just because our defense plays vanilla and give them time to get comfortable?

I'm not advocating an all out blitz all the time, but even if you just send 4, disguise it to make him think a blitz is coming. There was none of that. I don't know if this is BB or Patricia, but show some disguises.

Blount sucks.

Activate Washington, deactivate Blount.

Blount returning kickoffs is the most bizarre coaching decision this past weekend.

Does Blount get any credit for saving the game yesterday? On the goal line fumble, 10 guys were moving forward. Blount stops in his tracks, realizing there is a fumble, and makes the tackle that possibly saved 7 points -- and he has to beat a couple of guys to do it. Alonso is not the fleetest of foot and maybe runs out of gas, but most players were on the ground and moving forward -- only Develin has a chance at him if Blount doesn't bring him down.

Re: Buffalo Turf

It was probably hosed down on purpose. Thing is though, that the Bills had to deal with it to and they didn't seem affected by it at all.

I agree that the field was slippery.

I disagree the Bills were slip sliding on it as well. No one seemed to mention the "Buffalo crown" though. Both teams seemed acclimated to it.

They may have graded out the Buffalo crown when they installed this Building 19 artifical turf a couple years ago... :)

Game temperatures were high 70s and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I'm guessing on field conditions felt like high 80s. I watched Sunday Ticket on my iPad while my daughter had a soccer tryout for a travel team, and they were playing on field turf. Even though precipitation must have evaporated at some point, those temps might ave made it slick. Heat and plastic plus sweat.

Buffalo's Steve Johnson's TD - Both Feet In?

I was watching the video replay and I did not see both of stevie johnson's feet in bound for the TD. He was 5-8 yard inbound with clearly one foot in but I didn't see the 2nd foot come down as he was rolled out of bounds with 2 defenders below him which didn't allow the 2nd foot to come down in play. As least this is what I could see with the replays.

Can someone with slowmo video try to either confirm or deny that both feet were in?

Thanks..

Re: Buffalo's Steve Johnson's TD - Both Feet In?

Not seen it since yesterday but didn't he get one foot down and then his arm and/or knee down after that before rolling out of bounds?

Not seen it since yesterday but didn't he get one foot down and then his arm and/or knee down after that before rolling out of bounds?

That could be the case and if so then that would be a TD. Maybe I was too focused on the foot. There we two defenders there and he may have been under both not allowing the 2nd anything to touch? thx

I was watching the video replay and I did not see both of stevie johnson's feet in bound for the TD. He was 5-8 yard inbound with clearly one foot in but I didn't see the 2nd foot come down as he was rolled out of bounds with 2 defenders below him which didn't allow the 2nd foot to come down in play. As least this is what I could see with the replays.

Can someone with slowmo video try to either confirm or deny that both feet were in?

Thanks..

It wasn't "both feet". His left foot came down and then the left side of his body came down in bounds before going out the back of the endzone.

One last item on the yesterday's game:
Bills fans wear Hernandez jumpsuits to opener - 7NEWS Boston News WHDH-TV 7NEWS WHDH.COM

Actually I think that was very original although they fans have more money than brains buying those jump suits.

130909_fans_hernandez_jumpsuits.jpg

Last year's big issues:

Safety play
Only 2 'real' WRs
TE injuries
LBs in coverage
Line issues in the first games

Yesterday's issues:
Safety play
Only 2 'real' WRs
TE injuries
LBs in coverage
Line issues

Plus ca change....*

*It's game one, and it's just one game. I get it.

Buffalo total offense:

150 Passing yards, 4.7 ave
136 rushing yards, 4.0 ave

4-13 on 3rd down
22 minutes time of possession

I think the LBs and safeties did just fine.

I agree with the rest, though, but of course, we KNEW we had TE injury issues coming into the season (Gronk), and Sudfeld's injury had nothing to do with the game and is probably minor (and TE is one of, if not the, most injured positions).

And of course we KNEW we had only 2 WRs with any NFL experience, so was that a rock worth kicking?

By the way, our #3 had about the same stats as Buffalo's entire WR corps.

Good point, though I'd still would have like to have seen a little pressure to make the rookie think about something other than who the open receiver is. Manuel rarely had to think about the pass rush

Blount returning kickoffs is the most bizarre coaching decision this past weekend.

So you hate seeing KOs returned past the 20?
Tell me you're not related to Slater

General Washington to the Patriots rescue!

I understood what our defense was doing. It just makes more sense to me to force EJ to try completing lower percentage deep passes instead of giving him those easy short crossing patterns especially since we weren't blitzing or getting pressure. It made for a bad recipe had EJ actually caught rhythm and started looking like a legit QB. How often had inexperienced QBs have a great day against our defense just recently the past few years just because our defense plays vanilla and give them time to get comfortable?

I'm not advocating an all out blitz all the time, but even if you just send 4, disguise it to make him think a blitz is coming. There was none of that. I don't know if this is BB or Patricia, but show some disguises.

Manuel's weakness at FSU was going through his progressions and making the intermediate throws. One thing he did exceptionally well was hitting the deep ball. They played it right taking that away from him though I do agree the defense should have disguised a lot more than they did.

Not to make light of any aspect of the Hernandez situation, but I think it was pretty clever, actually.
Ironic that fans of a team that idolized OJ Simpson would come up with that.:D

I thought the game made for pretty entertaining television. I was pretty nervous throughout the second half and the last drive was a nail-biter with a really satisfying conclusion.

11 years ago when they were winning every game by squeaking in an AV field goal in the closing seconds was some of the funnest Pats football to watch, IMO.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back