PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

billdog3484

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
With the depth of this year's NFL Draft class being the way it is, with many of the players being grouped together in the mid first through the mid to late second round, I would try to attempt a trade in the following manner

Trade #23 (760pts) for around #40-8th pick in the 2nd round (500pts) +#72-8th pick in the 3rd round (230) + maybe a 6th or 7th

Trade #72 (230pts) + #89 (145pts) for around #54 (360pts)

This would give us #34, 40, 47, 54, 58, 97, 124, 175, 200, 208, 236

We would have 5 2nd round picks, 1 3rd round pick, and the other picks remain the same. By trading our first we lose a first round pick, but pick up 2 second round picks and lose a 3rd. Obviously, the first round trade is the most important, but it could be the 9 thru 12 in the 2nd round instead of the 8th. We would probably need one of the teams in that grouping to be enamored with a player to trade up, but we get an extra pick in that sweet spot of the draft.

We wouldnt necessarily have to draft all 5 2nd rounders either. we could package them for a later pick this year plus a 1st rounder next year.

I don't see NE trading out of the first.

Trade what , huh , yeah you lost me.

I think people are going a little crazy with all the 2nd/3rd round picks. As it is they have 6 in the first 3 rounds. I guarantee you that they will not be making 6 picks. They will either trade up or for a future pick. This draft is deep but the Patriots always look towards the future as well.

I think people are going a little crazy with all the 2nd/3rd round picks. As it is they have 6 in the first 3 rounds. I guarantee you that they will not be making 6 picks. They will either trade up or for a future pick. This draft is deep but the Patriots always look towards the future as well.

we can use one, or even 2, of the 5 2nd round picks we could end up with to trade into the first in 2010. i dont think we can draft 11 guys this year, there isnt room on the roster

I could see them trading out if their guy isn't there,,,but it would certainly be for a #1 next year.

A #1 next year and a 2nd or a low 3rd

Do what you want with the picks after the fourth. Maybe one or two (including UDFA's) will make the roster, maybe not. We have the luxury to bring in players at the same position as players drafted earlier, for competition.

However, there is plently of room for as many of the first six picks in the top 100 that we use. Pick 124 will likely make the team also, although that pick is certainly trade bait.

We need: DE, OLB, ILB, SS, FS, WR, OT, OG. All could easily make the team, replacing no players of significance.

we can use one, or even 2, of the 5 2nd round picks we could end up with to trade into the first in 2010. i dont think we can draft 11 guys this year, there isnt room on the roster

A #1 next year and a 2nd or a low 3rd

exactly. look at last years trade between Carolina and Philly

Philadelphia traded their first-round selection (19th overall) to Carolina for Carolina's second- and fourth-round selections (43rd and 109th), and Carolina's 2009 first-round pick.

thats a lot of picks for 1 first rounder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots