PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Takeaways from Opening Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

NG Pats Fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I was live at the game, so I figured I would give a few quick thoughts

1. This is the most exciting Patriots team to watch since 07. This is the most balanced Patriots team on both sides of the ball since 07. Note I didn't say the word "best", as we have a long way to go, but you can read between the lines here.

2. Brady's velocity and arm strength looked very good

3. Jonathon Jones was a steal of a contract. He was like white on rice. Could be the next great slot corner in the NFL. Our Secondary is disgustingly good. Gilmore locked down Juju, so much confidence in our safeties back there.

4. Patriots D Line was in the backfield all night. No sacks, but a lot of pressure. Great interior penetration, and a lot of explosive first step off the lines.

5. GREAT tackling. Linebackers tackled hard, mean, and effectively all night.

6. Josh Gordon is a man among boys. Number 22 looked like a smurf trying to cover him, halfway through they gave him some help, began double teaming gordon

7. Dorsett can FLY. Very good number 3-4 WR on a team. If you overlook him, he can kill you deep.

8. Edelman hasn't lost a step

9. Wynn's got serious skills, loved the way he moved laterally out there.

10. Jake Bailey punts them to the moon. Really like his potential.

I want to see more from the running game next week..when the bad weather comes around the important games are also in play...the running game is going to be important and i'm hoping an expected crushing of the sad sack dolphins..even in dreaded Miami will put the running game squarely in play come mid 3rd until the final seconds

The crowd seemed loud on tv. How was it live?

It was pretty loud. I seem to remember Pittsburgh having to call at least one time out and having a false start or two because of it.

One thing that I’ve not seen mentioned is that the PA system in Gillette was out in certain sections. We were in Section 102 and there was no PA throughout the pregame activities up until just before the end of the first quarter. This makes the noise level early in the game even more impressive.

It was pretty loud. I seem to remember Pittsburgh having to call at least one time out and having a false start or two because of it.

One thing that I’ve not seen mentioned is that the PA system in Gillette was out in certain sections. We were in Section 102 and there was no PA throughout the pregame activities up until just before the end of the first quarter. This makes the noise level early in the game even more impressive.
I was in 310. The PA was out until the third quarter. Made for an awesome pregame and halftime concert! I didn’t hear a thing and I loved it.

The crowd was awesome. AFCCG-level of into it.

I want to see more from the running game next week..when the bad weather comes around the important games are also in play...the running game is going to be important and i'm hoping an expected crushing of the sad sack dolphins..even in dreaded Miami will put the running game squarely in play come mid 3rd until the final seconds
It’s going to be tropical heat.

I’m very pleased with the team, this team is built for playoffs, we just have to keep everyone healthy.
The weakest part of our team is our O-line with multiple injuries, this is a big concern, hopefully the young crew can keep it together.

The LB position is stacked, Hightower and Collins going to be solid all year, they can pass rush very well, then with Van Noy back we will be even more stacked.
Bennett had a good game, the guy can still play at a high level, not many people will be able to hold him back.

Blew me away how well they played. Kudos to Shelton, I think his play from the superbowl has carried into this season. Looks legit stout vs the run and he found his mojo along the way. Seems on track to have continued success. Good to see Dorsett and Shelton shine and find their niche with the club. X

Overall thought it was a good first week for the nfl. Normally watch the first two weeks with sloppy tackling and poor communication due to the layoff and lack of playtime in preseason but seems a lot of teams had it together early.

Great game but the season is long and how healthy the team stays will have a major impact upon this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes