PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My take on Garoppolo

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
My take on Garoppolo

First, I genuinely believe Jimmy Garoppolo will be an excellent QB in this league. That said, timing is so much of sports and for that matter life. The timing for Garoppolo to be a starting QB here was not realistic for many reasons.

1) Even if you devastate the salary cap and franchise him you only buy yourself one season. So unless Brady falls off a cliff you have to figure out something at the end of 2018-19.

2) If you found a way to retain Garoppolo for 2-3 years he would be 28-29 years old when he became the starter. Which means we would have to start grooming his replacement after just 4-5 seasons as him becoming the starter. Unless you believe he can defy father time as well, which I do not because I don’t think he has the same body type as Brady and I think he is likely to take more hits due to his playing style.

3) Brady had 6 touchdowns and 5 interceptions over his final 5 games, Garoppolo had the same in his 5 starts. Garoppolo played well, but his impressive play was around the same statistically as Brady “slumping”.

4) No team has ever walked away from their HOF QB while they were still playing at a high level. Favre retired, Montana was injured for most of the 2 previous seasons, and Manning missed all of the previous season with a career threatening injury. Brady is the MVP favorite, and even with a decline in the next few seasons he is still a top 5-6 QB. Top 5-6 is likely Garoppolo’s ceiling.

5) We do not know if we received enough for Garoppolo in the trade. We have not used the pick yet. A top 50 pick puts you in the mix for a top player in the draft. Rob Gronkowski was #42 and the pick we received will between #41-43.

6) Speaking of the 49ers remember when they traded Alex Smith and because they had a young up and coming QB named Colin Kaepernick?

As much as it would have been great to see Garoppolo take over for Brady as I said earlier the timing was not there. We likely have 2-3 more years a SB favorite with Brady, Garoppolo would have likely been a playoff contending level QB during those same years.

I know Brady can win a super bowl, I don’t know if Garoppolo can play an entire season, so personally, I am making the 49ers my second favorite team, rooting for Brady to lead us to another QB and reading draft sites and getting excited for us drafting a young QB prospect this spring who’s timing will make sense.

We have a Garoppolo MEGA thread in the NFL forum ...

I can’t root for another team unless BB or Brady went there. I don’t know why people love JG so much, he hasn’t done anything for them. Whereas Brady has taken them to 7 Super Bowls and won them 5. He’s the one that should have earned their respect. After watching the clip of a Bills fan smashing his tv, half naked in the snow, people should realize how fortunate we are. Took 20 years for the bills to get into the playoffs and then lose the first game when they get in. Makes you wonder if the garopolites are just bandwagoners who waits for greener pastures.

I understand that this thread was intended to be Patriots-based, but...

Off to the NFL Forum we go...

I empathize.

It's just that I've seen the end of this movie before.

I'll leave this thread open with the pollyanna hope that discussion here will be more intelligent than the other thread.

Agreed.

JG was absolutely drafted with the intention that he would take over for a declining Brady. The decline didn't happen. He wasn't the first nor will he be the last draft pick to not pan out for that reason. And to be honest he wasn't good or durable enough here to be declared the immediate starter over Brady.

Time to hit reset and hopefully the Patriots find a good one to replace Tom when his window closes shut.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back