PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My mind was changed today…

There is speculation about Chargers trading for Belichick with their 1st rounder, currently #5.
It's a longshot imo and I think Bolts would be nuts to do this, but.....
It does raise daydreams of Pats snagging Maye and Harrison. Holy ****!!
Humor me for a minute.. then you sign a vet qb, pay him well in the short term, let Maye learn rhe offense and the nfl.
Then in 2024 draft you get your stud lt with your 1st rounder. So Maye takes over in 2024 ready to go and Harrison has a,year of exp. under his belt plus Douglas
one more year of experience.
****, I can dream can't I
I would be happy with the Chargers 2nd round pick, and perhaps an additional 4th or 5th round pick for Bill. But yes sir, the #5 pick in addition to hopefully no lower than the #3 overall would be AMAZING!!! I would let Zappe play while Maye sits to get the new offensive skill player talent (including a hopefully improved O-Line), while Maye sits a year.

Right or wrong, I was firmly in the “draft a franchise QB” camp until today. After watching our OL against the Chiefs, it has become clear to me that we need to draft a LT with our top pick. Brown isn’t the guy and McDermott sucks. They’ve been getting our QBs killed all year and that won’t be any different for a rookie QB next season.

I believe we should bring in a veteran next season as a bridge QB and focus on improving the OL through the draft and FA.

There are 2 LTs in the upcoming draft who are rated as Top 5 picks so I think one of them should be our guy.

The only way we should use our #1 pick on a QB is if we believe 100% that one of the top 3 QBs is the future of the franchise .

What do you all think? Let’s discuss…
you have to have a QB

It's not an either or proposition. Pats need a franchise QB, to upgrade the line and to add weapons that force opposing defenses to keep their safeties back.

I want Williams, Maye or Daniels with the Pats top pick. I want day two picks and/or big time free agent dollars spent on the receiver position (Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman, Ridley, Jeudy). They also need to sink big money and draft capital into the offensive line. Really they should be drafting two tackles and a guard.

Everything is connected. Pats haven't had a QB with a big arm, or receivers to stretch the defense so defenses can easily blitz and pack defenders in coverage within ten yards of the line of scrimmage. The line needs to improve, especially at tackle, but a big armed mobile QB and big play receivers will help the line and vise versa.

Our experience as fans under Belichick the GM probably has lead fans to believe that we can fix the QB, position the receiver position or the line, because most of the resources usually go towards the defense. The Pats are going to have some of the best offseason capital (both draft and cap space) in the league.

As fans we shouldn't have the mindset that we can't draft a franchise QB until the line is fixed. Both those fixes need to happen in the same off-season.

OL isn't as bad as it is right now, IMO.

1.) Resign Onwenu. He is an all pro RG, IMO...but he can play RT and fill in at LT if needed.

2.) Give Strange another year. Results are mixed on him, IMO.

3.) Mafi/Sow can compete for interior OL-men jobs or start if we kick Onwenu out for good.

4.) McDermott is a decent swing tackle..starting experience at both spots.

5.) How is Jake Andrews doing? Is it possible that be could take over for Dave Andrews when Dave hangs them up?

6.) We just need a Trent Brown replacement at LT. That is the issue, IMO.

7.) We need a blocking TE too. We have no TE's under contact next year. It is one of the reasons we have so much cap space....

8.) But I say if we have a top 2 pick...have to take the damn QB if the brass believes the QB can be elite at this level. WR can be somewhat inproved in free agency (Tee Higgins, Jerry Jeudy, and etc..) and we can find a tackle in the later rounds...
a6Fi7B5.jpg

He takes no accountability in his pressers each week.. the act is old, as fan I'm sick of it personally. Thank you Bill I appreciate you but it's time to move on. We need a talented GM with real offensive prowess to get this roster up-to-date to NFL standards.
I'll never understand the media/press conference critique. He doesn't take accountability by refusing to trash his players. I like that, even when he's dealing with dunderheads like JC Jackson.

You listen to too much Boston sports radio. No one anywhere else in the country trashes the team the way they do, and no fans anywhere else in the country care about this stuff.

I'm all for bringing in that Vet but who is it? It's slim pickings.

If we can't find one in FA or trade I think you have no choice but to take a swing for QB. It's why we went Mac and you can't let one mistake make you gun shy and lead to another so keep swinging.
Not learning from mistakes so you keep repeating them is its own mistake

I always think of Andrew Luck, a generational talent who played behind a poor offensive line, when considering the merits of how to rebuild the Pats offense. Luck was an immediate success, posting three straight 11-5 seasons and making the playoffs in each of those years. However, the beating he was taking behind his inept offensive line resulted in him missing a majority of his fourth season and all of his sixth season. He famously retired at the end of his seventh season during which he led the Colts to a 10-6 record and playoff berth. I am in favor of using the Pats first round pick on one of the elite offensive tackles and the next several picks on other offensive line positions. In the 2024 season, play Zappe or Mac at quarterback to insure a top ten draft pick and select your quarterback of the future with it.

Last edited:
The 3 most important units on an nfl team have not changed in over 50 years:
1. QB
2. OL and DL
Everything else pales in comparison.
Note that qb is #1.
Yes, he needs at least a serviceable ol to succeed but drafting a quality qb is harder than drafting a stud lt.
If you have the need and you get the opportunity, you MUST draft the qb.
You may never get another chance.
Unless you believe there are no quality qbs in this draft. Maye is the safest bet.

If the opportunity is there, you take it. You Get the Quarterback, no question.

As for calling out McDermott, going to quibble here - As a starter, he's not what we want - however, he's only starting at LT because Trent Brown is injured, again. McDermott is fine as a depth piece, a spot starter, who's better suited to the right side. I'd jettison Brown, but i'd hang onto McDermott until you find a better depth piece.
If you believe there’s a franchise QB available at #2/3, then I get it…take him. If you’re not sure about that, then a tackle is the better choice.

Any QB we have next season is going to struggle with this OL. It has to be upgraded via the draft and FA otherwise we could have God as our QB and he’s going to struggle.

As far as McDermott is concerned, even as a swing OT, I’d like to upgrade him.

Are there any generational talent at LT like a Tony Boselli, Jonathon Ogden, Tyron Smith, Trent Williams, etc? You have to really believe they are that special to warrant taking them that high.

If they are in position to take a QB, they are taking him.

Last edited:
I’m definitely NOT in the QB camp….too much riding on it where it is hit or miss. Seems like most other positions in the top five are better bets.

Im sure teams like the 49ers and Jets are wishing they took Parsons instead of their respective qbs.

I’m in the camp if let’s go for a more ‘sure thing’ let’s get Marvin Harrison Jr

I always think of Andrew Luck, a generational talent who played behind a poor offensive line, when considering the merits of how to rebuild the Pats offense. Luck was an immediate success, posting three straight 11-5 seasons and making the playoffs in each of those years. However, the beating he was taking behind his inept offensive line resulted in him missing a majority of his fourth season and all of his sixth season. He famously retired at the end of his seventh season during which he led the Colts to a 10-6 record and playoff berth. I am in favor of using the Pats first round pick on one the elite offensive tackles and the next several picks on other offensive line positions. In the 2024 season, play Zappe or Mac at quarterback to insure a top ten draft pick and select you quarterback of the future with it.
Nah, I want to contend in 2024.

This team might be 3-11, but they are 2-7 in one score games this year... a few slight tweaks here and there...and this team is a 6-8 team with no QB play, IMO.

Pick a quarterback with your first pick or you deserve to suck.

Drafting an OL in the top 3 when this team has no QB and the worst WRs in the NFL is the stupidest thing i've ever heard, use the cap space to fix the offensive line and pay a WR.

A bridge quarterback is also pointless and all it does is bridge you to mediocrity and delay the process of being a contender.

Everyone who isn't in the QB camp is a moron and has a plan that will never win a championship, there's a 60% chance the QB busts but you aren't being anything more than the 8-9 crap we've been used to since Brady left with a bridge QB.

Enough of this crap, take a big swing. Balls to the wall safety doesn't win anything.

All of your models of building up the offensive line ect and getting the QB years later is from teams who have won nothing, the best people can point to for doing that is SF and Philly and neither has won yet despite getting everything perfect.

So if you get an elite offensive line, elite WRs, elite RB, elite defense and then draft a quarterback later in 5 years you might be fortunate enough to lose to Mahomes in the 4th Q of the AFC Championship game, that's the plan?

I would personally rather take a swing and get the quarterback right and fix the rest on the fly.

Last edited:
As the draft stands now, trade down with AZ and get their two first round draft picks. Pick the QB that is available out of Maye, Daniels, and Williams with the first pick. Get an OT with the second pick. Pick a WR or another OT with the third pick.

Pick a quarterback with your first pick or you deserve to suck.

Drafting an OL in the top 3 when this team has no QB and the worst WRs in the NFL is the stupidest thing i've ever heard, use the cap space to fix the offensive line and pay a WR.

A bridge quarterback is also pointless and all it does is bridge you to mediocrity and delay the process of being a contender.

Everyone who isn't in the QB camp is a moron and has a plan that will never win a championship, there's a 60% chance the QB busts but you aren't being anything more than the 8-9 crap we've been used to since Brady left with a bridge QB.

Enough of this crap, take a big swing. Balls to the wall safety doesn't win anything.

All of your models of building up the offensive line ect and getting the QB years later is from teams who have won nothing, the best people can point to for doing that is SF and Philly and neither has won yet despite getting everything perfect.

So if you get an elite offensive line, elite WRs, elite RB, elite defense and then draft a quarterback later in 5 years you might be fortunate enough to lose to Mahomes in the 4th Q of the AFC Championship game, that's the plan?

I would personally rather take a swing and get the quarterback right and fix the rest on the fly.
I don’t think anyone wants to wait 5 years to draft a QB. My point is that I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary to draft a QB in this draft when we have giant holes all over the offense.

If we think we have a franchise QB available at our pick then of course it makes sense to grab him. However, I don’t think it’s mandatory to take a QB.

Look at the last 10 Super Bowl winners…none of them won with a QB they drafted as a top 5 pick. The closest has been Mahomes when he was drafted at #10 in 2017.

There are other ways to rebuild an offense effectively.

I don’t think anyone wants to wait 5 years to draft a QB. My point is that I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary to draft a QB in this draft when we have giant holes all over the offense.

If we think we have a franchise QB available at our pick then of course it makes sense to grab him. However, I don’t think it’s mandatory to take a QB.

Look at the last 10 Super Bowl winners…none of them won with a QB they drafted as a top 5 pick. The closest has been Mahomes when he was drafted at #10 in 2017.

There are other ways to rebuild an offense effectively.
Brady won 40% of those 10 SBs.

Look at it another way - most of the current top QBs were top ten picks. Five of the top eight QBs in QBR were top 10 picks. Two were #1 picks. Seven of the top 12 were top ten picks. And those seven don’t include Burrow and Stroud - 1 and 2 respectively - who are obviously good QBs.

I don't know the QB prospects, but given the state of out OL, if we select a QB he can't be a pure pocket passer. We need someone who can dodge a rush and throw on the run.

As the draft stands now, trade down with AZ and get their two first round draft picks. Pick the QB that is available out of Maye, Daniels, and Williams with the first pick. Get an OT with the second pick. Pick a WR or another OT with the third pick.
Yeah.

all we have to do is snap our fingers and AZ and every other prospectivevtrade partner will just roll over and give us whatever we want.

sheesh, what parallel universe are you living in? Or, what are you smoking and can I have a couple of hits please? Don’t bogart that joint!

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back