PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My 7 round Pats mock

Status
Not open for further replies.

murphysbuddylove

On the Roster
Reaction score
Just completed a seven mock draft for our site and figured i'd post it on here. Pick away and to get a cheap face wrestling pop i don't have Tebow to the Pats.

New England Patriots

1-22. Jared Odrick (DE) Penn State
2-44. Rob Gronkowski (TE) Arizona
2-47. Ricky Sapp (OLB) Clemson
2-53. Eric Decker (WR) Minnesota
4-119. James Starks (RB) Buffalo
6-190. A.J Jefferson (CB/KR) Fresno State
6-205. Daniel Teo'Nesheim (OLB) Washington
7-229. Mike McLaughlin (ILB/LS) Boston College
7-231. Zoltan Mesko (P) Michigan
7-247. Scott Long (WR) Louisville
7-248. Rusty Smith (QB) Florida Atlantic
7-250. Mickey Shuler (TE) Penn State

After your first 4 picks, I have no idea who any of those people are. However, I believe the Pats first 4 picks are going to be crucial for this 2010 season. With that said, Odrick will not be a Patriot either because some other team will do them a favor and draft him before the Pats pick or the Pats will simply pass on him. Don't buy the hype as it feels like Adam Carriker and Jarren Gilbert all over again. As one poster pointed out, the Pats will probably invest their first pick on a linemen next season assuming Brady sticks around.

Unless the Pats make a commitment to involve the TE more, they are really reaching with the second pick.

Ricky Sapp is an okay third pick but this should be the first pick if someone is available.

Eric Decker isn't projected to 2nd round pick as he's more likely to be a 3rd rounder. In fact, we already have a WR like him and his name is Julian Eldelman. Damian Williams should be the pick if available.

Last edited:
After your first 4 picks, I have no idea who any of those people are.

Eric Decker isn't projected to 2nd round pick as he's more likely to be a 3rd rounder. In fact, we all ready have a WR like him and his name is Julian Eldelman.

Hmm...Eric Decker--6'3" 217, an experienced and highly polished WR who is strong but not super quick--is a Julian Edelman clone?

Maybe you should read up on the first 4, too. ;)

1-22. Jared Odrick (DE) Penn State
2-44. Rob Gronkowski (TE) Arizona
2-47. Ricky Sapp (OLB) Clemson
2-53. Eric Decker (WR) Minnesota

Don't need a TE so early. We don't use them. A better pick would be more defense or OG/C at that position.

Hmm...Eric Decker--6'3" 217, an experienced and highly polished WR who is strong but not super quick--is a Julian Edelman clone?

Maybe you should read up on the first 4, too. ;)
Decker projects to be a slot receiver which Eldelman is. The only difference between the two is that Decker is a lot bigger and has played the position longer than Edelman. Damian Williams should be the pick.

Last edited:
Decker projects to be a slot receiver which Eldelman is. The only difference between the two is that Decker is a lot bigger and has played the position longer than Edelman. Damian Williams should be the pick.

Everything I've heard about Decker projects him as a split end, not a slot guy. Why do you see him as a slot WR? He's really not that quick or elusive, unlike Welker and Edelman. Just b/c he's white don't mean he's gotta play the slot! :p

*chuckles*

You do realize that Decker has just as good a chance, if not better, on the outside than Williams does? I think they're both good prospects, but Decker is bigger, stronger, and more physical and seems like an ideal #2 possession receiver. He's just as fast as Williams, and though he lacks the quickness of the USC receiver, he's extremely reliable and still pretty good after the catch. I think they'll have similar careers.

Why do you limit Decker to the slot? IMO one of his strong points is his versatility to run routes all over the field. If anything, with size and route-running his strengths and short-area quickness a slight weakness, I'd probably keep him out of the slot. FWIW, here are some others' opinions:

NFLDraftScout: "Lines up in the slot and on the sideline; runs all of the routes on the tree. Creates separation with his hands and speed down the sideline, providing nice target."

National Football Post: "A natural wideout, Decker showcases good body control and coordination when asked to go up and get the football...is a coordinated receiver who showcases the ability to run the route tree. Decker isn't the most gifted of athletes, but he has more than enough speed to separate over the middle and make a living on the outside as an NFL team's No. 2 wideout."

Last edited:
I don't believe Gronkowski has been interviewed or worked out by Pats. I would see Hernandez or possibly Moeaki in 2nd round as more likely candidates at TE.

Why do you limit Decker to the slot? IMO one of his strong points is his versatility to run routes all over the field. If anything, with size and route-running his strengths and short-area quickness a slight weakness, I'd probably keep him out of the slot. FWIW, here are some others' opinions:
When I was watching NFL network, they did a piece on him and they mentioned him being a slot receiver in the NFL.
*chuckles*
You do realize that Decker has just as good a chance, if not better, on the outside than Williams does? I think they're both good prospects, but Decker is bigger, stronger, and more physical and seems like an ideal #2 possession receiver. He's just as fast as Williams, and though he lacks the quickness of the USC receiver, he's extremely reliable and still pretty good after the catch. I think they'll have similar careers.
I like both WR's but from what I've heard, Decker projects to be a 3rd round pick. Because I live in California I've seen Williams play a lot and he is way better than Mike Williams and Dwayne Jarrett. Williams runs cleans routes and will give you those spectacular catches.
Everything I've heard about Decker projects him as a split end, not a slot guy. Why do you see him as a slot WR? He's really not that quick or elusive, unlike Welker and Edelman. Just b/c he's white don't mean he's gotta play the slot! :p
Like I said in my first response, I watched a piece on NFL Network and they mentioned him being best used as a slot guy. Your last sentence was pretty funny.

Interesting picks.. here are some comments:

McLaughlin - The Pats just drafted a LS last year. Jake Ingram. They aren't going to look at another one. And I doubt that they'd look at McLaughlin as an ILB because he's so short.

Starks - Horrible blocker and pass protector and has shown an unwillingness to block downfield.. I don't see the Pats taking him without having better pass protection skills.

Jefferson - I could see the Pats looking at Jefferson in the 4th for a variety of reasons. Especially his ability to play in both the man and zone systems. Plus the fact that he's a solid tackler.

Shuler - James Dray, Scott Sicko and Jameson Konz are all guys I'd give consideration to along with Shuler.

Mesko - Personally, I'd rather the Pats took Bowden or Brandtner.

Decker & Long: Love these picks.. Decker is polished as a route runner.. Long has the speed and quickness to play on the other side.. Add them to Edlemen and Welker in 2011 and that could be an amazing group of WRs..

Why don't you like Mesko, he's a cold weather kicker with the most badass name in the entire draft. Dodge looks solid but that Brandtner guy looks like "Sunshine" from "Remember the Titans", pass.

McLaughlin - The Pats just drafted a LS last year. Jake Ingram. They aren't going to look at another one. And I doubt that they'd look at McLaughlin as an ILB because he's so short.

Starks - Horrible blocker and pass protector and has shown an unwillingness to block downfield.. I don't see the Pats taking him without having better pass protection skills.

Jefferson - I could see the Pats looking at Jefferson in the 4th for a variety of reasons. Especially his ability to play in both the man and zone systems. Plus the fact that he's a solid tackler.

Shuler - James Dray, Scott Sicko and Jameson Konz are all guys I'd give consideration to along with Shuler.

Decker & Long: Love these picks.. Decker is polished as a route runner.. Long has the speed and quickness to play on the other side.. Add them to Edlemen and Welker in 2011 and that could be an amazing group of WRs..[/QUOTE

IMPORTANT BULLETIN FOR ALL FORUM POSTERS!
DW AGREES WITH DaB!!!!!!!
Moderator please save this post for posterity.

DaB-See, you can contribute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye