PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Moss Jersey Number? [mergedx7]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Moss Jersey Number

I thought the NFL tightened up the rules on numbering a couple of years ago and wrs who don't already have a number that low can't get a number that isn't in the wr range (somewhere up in 80s).

here is the current numbering system.. Jim Otto's # is no longer in demand.

1-9 Quarterbacks and Kickers
10-19 Quarterbacks, Receivers, and Kickers
20-49 Running Backs and Defensive Backs
50-59 Centers and Linebackers
60-79 Defensive Linemen and Offensive Linemen
80-89 Receivers and Tight Ends
90-99 Defensive Linemen and Linebackers

Re: Moss Jersey #?

I did some quick research. Kyle Brady was #81 back at Penn State. He was #88 with the Jets and #80 with the Jaguars.

If Brady took 81 once Smith gets cut, Moss could get 88.

Otherwise, he's going to have 82 or something in the teens.

Brady started out with 81 when he first became a Jet (have pictures of him in an 81 Jets practice jersey).

I think Moss is going to wear 89

Re: Moss Jersey Number? [mergedx6]

I checked patriots.com. only Randy doens't have a number assigned. 88 is such a lucky number. He should have it. Move Kyle Brady to 81.

Re: Moss Jersey #?

Brady started out with 81 when he first became a Jet (have pictures of him in an 81 Jets practice jersey).

I think Moss is going to wear 89

#89 is retired (Bob Dee)

I checked patriots.com. only Randy doens't have a number assigned. 88 is such a lucky number. He should have it. Move Kyle Brady to 81.
Yeah, after Tony Simmons, Donald Hayes, and Bethel Johnson, I really don't want to see another WR wearing #81. I hope Brady takes his old college number (#81 ), allowing Moss to take his old college number (#88).

From Boston Globe...

May 17, 2007
Watson on 84

The Patriots acquired Randy Moss in a draft-day trade. Now Moss might be considering a trade of his own -- for jersey No. 84.

The owner of that 84 jersey, tight end Benjamin Watson, said today that he's not married to the number.

"We’re willing to negotiate,” Watson said with a laugh.

Watson said there have been no "negotiations" to this point, but that there was some excitement in the team's locker room today, with Moss present.

Watson wore 89 in college at Georgia. Number 89 is retired by the Patriots (Bob Dee).

We'll have more from Watson in tomorrow's Boston Globe, as he touches on the Patriots' offseason moves, how the moves could affect the tight end position, and his thoughts on newcomer Kyle Brady.

In that case, I think Moss will work something out to get #84. That leaves Watson to take #81 when Smith gets cut, #82 and #85 when that TE gets cut.

Dunno still think Moss should go after 88. It would be like him to just pick a new number at random, like 84 though. I guess it doesn't really matter as long as he brings his A game this year.

Re: Watson willing to trade 84 to Moss

Wonder what the tender will be for this #, should prove interesting.. this stuff is good for the clubhouse and the team.

Wonder what the tender will be for this #, should prove interesting.. this stuff is good for the clubhouse and the team.

Maybe, but is it so good for those who have number 84 shirts bearing Ben Watson's name?

Moss trading for #84. Its kind of stupid to be changing numbers but whatever. As long as BJ's cool with it.

I hope Watson keeps 84, and I like him in that number.

Smart move on Watson's part get some $ for the number then get it back next year when Moss leaves.

Smart move on Watson's part get some $ for the number then get it back next year when Moss leaves.

That's actually funny, and I thought about that, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand