PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Monday Night Football Colts Saints Brees Stat pad fest game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because 90% of people are not able to put anything in context and make vast overreactions based on the last 24 hours of their lives.

Brees is a great QB. Arguably top-10 ever. I wouldn’t put him in the top-10 but wouldn’t throw a fit if someone did. You can soon add Wilson to the list and argue that Brees is #5 of this era.

Apparently despite having better offensive weapons than anyone and a pretty good defense, he takes zero criticism for postseason failures. It’s bizarre. He’s like the most coddled athlete in sports when you consider Rodgers has come a lot close to winning a second championship, yet all he gets is hate. Brees is untouchable to the media.

I wouldn’t say “all Rodgers gets is hate”. I’ve seen very little in the public discourse that criticizes him. Most people make apologies for him for having a bad coach.

I do agree that Brees also doesn’t get much criticism. However there’s a lot of statements in this thread about Brees success or lack thereof that reference his defense, but I haven’t seen any data to back it up (pretty par for the course for this board which has a serious aversion to numbers for some reason).

My own opinion is that Rodgers has better physical tools than Brees but Brees is a better QB in terms of being able to run an offense and read a defense, and is a MUCH better leader and teammate.

Brees is a classless stat padder.

Not if the receiver had waltzed into the end zone like so many players do who lack game awareness and go for the glory moment. Not saying he wouldve done so, but a lot of these guys are dumb enough to do a thing like that

plus i was just going off what the saints guy said about it being a touchdown if not for the PI
even the Rams CB admitted it was a TD and he was beaten so he just hit him, but this is over

even the Rams CB admitted it was a TD and he was beaten so he just hit him, but this is over

Its not over though. WE all suffer each and every week thru those god damned ridiculous PI review penalties because the Nawlins fans cried so hard over a bad no call they changed the freaking rules ...

and you know what? I wasn't even the worst no-call we've ever seen...

The saints still had multiple opportunities to win that game. They folded like a cheap suit thrown over the back of a chair...

Its not over though. WE all suffer each and every week thru those god damned ridiculous PI review penalties because the Nawlins fans cried so hard over a bad no call they changed the freaking rules ...

and you know what? I wasn't even the worst no-call we've ever seen...

The saints still had multiple opportunities to win that game. They folded like a cheap suit thrown over the back of a chair...

Yeah they did. I love how the excuse for Brees’s choke is “the game should have been over.” We keep hearing how they should change the OT rules against because Brady has scored a TD both times he got the ball in the postseason (ridiculous clutch play.) Brees throws an INT, so it’s time to change the instant replay system. If he’d driven them down the field and scored, the entire offseason debate and resulting PI challenge rules would not exist.

He was completely putrid in that entire second half. Basically when the Saints run out of completely brilliant designed plays and they face a defense where they don’t have gigantic mismatches, it just becomes “a dog fight” with defenses knowing what offenses are going to do, and offenses knowing it’s all about execution, the late stages of the game, that’s not Brees time. Brees time is going 29/30 in his career game (a meaningless regular season win with huge mismatches everywhere.)

Remember when the Dolphins picked a washed up Culpepper over Brees? :)

Will not disparage Brees as he is a great player and beat Manning at a time when he was about to be crowned as the greatest player ever. Brees has lost several post season games due to horrible luck despite playing extremely well. (49ers game was all timer as was Vikings) He is obviously not in Brady's class but I have him as the 3rd best of his era just behind Manning. He is clearly above Rodgers to me as he regularly leads his team to tons of points and is willing to do whatever it takes to bring his team back in a game. Rodgers is the first QB I have ever seen where his efficiency numbers actually appear to be a knock on him. His seeming unwillingness to make contested throws and lack of important comebacks takes him out of all time status for me.

Will not disparage Brees as he is a great player and beat Manning at a time when he was about to be crowned as the greatest player ever. Brees has lost several post season games due to horrible luck despite playing extremely well. (49ers game was all timer as was Vikings) He is obviously not in Brady's class but I have him as the 3rd best of his era just behind Manning. He is clearly above Rodgers to me as he regularly leads his team to tons of points and is willing to do whatever it takes to bring his team back in a game. Rodgers is the first QB I have ever seen where his efficiency numbers actually appear to be a knock on him. His seeming unwillingness to make contested throws and lack of important comebacks takes him out of all time status for me.
He was pretty bad against the vikings imo, but the 49s game, as much as I can remember anyway, was epic.

Brees led the Saints to 24 second half points including the "winning" FG with 25 seconds left against the Vikings. Did not have a great first half but was extremely clutch when needed. If not for the fluke TD he is the hero of that game.

Remember when the Dolphins picked a washed up Culpepper over Brees? :)

That was during the new era of the dual threat QB. It was a total revolution that completely changed quarterbacking in the NFL. It’s so cool that it’s happened like 3 times since then, including right now.

It's kind of strange whenever the mediots blab about "the most TDs ever" and Brady's playoff TDs go totally unmentioned.
The real career TD totals are;
Brady - 612
Manning - 579
Brees - 574

It's kind of strange whenever the mediots blab about "the most TDs ever" and Brady's playoff TDs go totally unmentioned.
The real career TD totals are;
Brady - 612
Manning - 579
Brees - 574

I realized these stats are largely meaningless when I was young and trying to learn about the game; I noticed Vinny Testaverde was ahead of Joe Montana in career TDs and passing yards, but Montana was considered by everyone to be the greatest.

I realized these stats are largely meaningless when I was young and trying to learn about the game; I noticed Vinny Testaverde was ahead of Joe Montana in career TDs and passing yards, but Montana was considered by everyone to be the greatest.

Whenever I compare stats between players I check for what I call the Yaz effect. Vinny was in the league for many more years than Montana, therefore he has higher total TDs and yards. That also comes into play when I look at Aaron "Mr Comeback" Rodgers' 4QC stats. He has far less comebacks than many QBs who played less seasons and/or were average to below average.

As for the Brady, Manning, Brees comparison, they all played close to the same amount of seasons. The wrinkle that does come into play is how many more games Brady played outdoors compared to those other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back