PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mock Offseason 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots do have an answer to beat the type of defense that the Jets played against us. It was running the ball. They didn't adjust to this until the fourth quarter.

A deep threat probably wouldn't have helped against 5-7 DBs. Randy Moss in his prime would have certainly helped.

Many people on these forums have been crying for a deep threat to replace Moss. You guys have to realize, you cannot replace Randy Moss. Moss warranted double and triple coverages. Defensive game plans were designed to take away the Brady-Moss 35+ yard bombs, yet Moss, being the incredibly talented player that he is/was, could still make the plays against these coverages. There are not many receivers that can do this. There might be three in the league right now (Calvin, Andre, Larry), and I don't think any of these guys will come at $9 and none are likely to leave their team.

"Take the ball deep, take the top off the defense."

I completely agree with the signing of light along with picking up a top OT like Castonzo. or my pick Carimi but for a reason of my own, that being I would plan on moveing Vollmer to LT and start Carimi at RT threw camp. If this combination works out fine I would shop Light to LT needy teams that wern't able to cash in on the draft, so that we could recoup some value from Light possibly in 2012 draft picks. If Carimi was not ready to start at the start of year one you have covered your butt and still have a chance to shop him before the end of the trade deadline. Allso like wise if you could swing both Pouncey and Wisniewski great but I feel one or the other would be fine, hopeing to get Ijalana with the first pick in the third. this would be insurance if Mankins was lost, and he is resigned you have a tremendous OL of Vollmer,Mankins (Pouncey or Wisniewski) Ijalana, Carimi.( If the pats and Mankins can not come to an early deal you franchise him and offer to not franchise him a second time to get him to report. But if it looks like Pouncey or Winsiewski ,Ijalana, and Connely can handle the middle and you can get a good offer on Mankins, you move him for picks.) This still leave you a first and a second or two seconds to address needs on the DL and OLB. I also like Muhammed Wilkerson in the second round and Dontay Moch in the second round, and a possible risk in the last pick in the third with Kenrick Ellis. I had Bilal Powell with the fourth, Cecil Shorts III in the fifrh, and Markus White in the sixth.

It was interesting how close to my original Draft Board this was. I don't think any moveing around of pick are needed to do this.
1) Carimi
2)Pouncey or Wisniewski
3 Wilkerson
4)Moch
5)Ijalana
6)Ellis
7)Powell
8)Shorts
9)White

It was interesting how close to my original Draft Board this was. I don't think any moveing around of pick are needed to do this.
1) Carimi
2)Pouncey or Wisniewski
3 Wilkerson
4)Moch
5)Ijalana
6)Ellis
7)Powell
8)Shorts
9)White

I agree with that for the most part. The Pats really need an OLB sometime, though, and Moch is more like SS size at 230 pounds. I definitely support getting a new center, RG, and RT.

One question, Von Miller rated the no. one OLB in the draft weighed in at 237 in the seniorbowl practice and has nowhere near the speed of Moch and you don't even cosider Moch a late second round OLB prospect. Is that right? Plus Moch has weighed up to 242 which is only 8 to 13 lbs. from the average OLB on the Pats. roster.

One question, Von Miller rated the no. one OLB in the draft weighed in at 237 in the seniorbowl practice and has nowhere near the speed of Moch and you don't even cosider Moch a late second round OLB prospect. Is that right? Plus Moch has weighed up to 242 which is only 8 to 13 lbs. from the average OLB on the Pats. roster.

Are you Moch's relative, or his agent?

Moch recently weighed in at 229. If he can put on 30 pounds of muscle in the next 6 months while staying at his "4.2" speed, then I'll consider him a 3rd round prospect rather than a 5th.

242 is extremely light compared to Patriot OUTSIDE LBs

My list is a bit different than yours

Trades
17 for 22 and 84
60 and 92 for 47
74 and 123 for 65

Picks
22 DE JJ Watt
28 OT Gabe Carimi
33 OG Mike Pouncey
47 OLB Jeremy Beal
65 FS Rashim Moore
89 trade for a 2012 2nd or early 3rd
156 OC Jake Kirkpatrick
184 WR Denarius Moore

I think I've covered the bases. I expected running backs to come from trades or free agency.

1) Carimi
2)Pouncey or Wisniewski
3 Wilkerson
4)Moch
5)Ijalana
6)Ellis
7)Powell
8)Shorts
9)White

My list is a bit different than yours

Trades
17 for 22 and 84
60 and 92 for 47
74 and 123 for 65

Picks
22 DE JJ Watt
28 OT Gabe Carimi
33 OG Mike Pouncey
47 OLB Jeremy Beal
65 FS Rashim Moore
89 trade for a 2012 2nd or early 3rd
156 OC Jake Kirkpatrick
184 WR Denarius Moore

I think I've covered the bases. I expected running backs to come from trades or free agency.

Originaly I considered Watt at 17 and Carimi at 28 but Carimi seem's to be shooting up the draft rankings and no longer feel we can wait till 28. The fact that OT in the draft has far less depth than DE I felt inclined to reevaluate my draft order and take Carimi first. Rashim Moore is a great pick up midround but I see it as a luxury planing into 2012 when we are so well stocked at safety and have so many other grareing needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes