PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mock Draft with explanations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Box_O_Rocks said:
29. Jets-Nick Mangold, C: Mangold has skyrocketed up the draft boards after his great performance during Senior bowl week. The Jets lost Kevin Mawae this offseason and need to bring in someone who can take over the position immediately.
A good choice, but if I were Mangini I'd be looking for a LT first and grab a C later in the draft.

I disagree. This is a great pick for the Jets. There is a major drop off at Center after Mangold. The Jets are in perfect position to pick up an LT like Colledge, O'Callaghan, Whitworth, Scott, etc. in round 2 or 3.

ayjackson said:
21. Patriots-Bobby Carpenter, LB: With the loss of Willie McGinest this offseason and the age of the remaining linebackers on the team, they decide to pass on all the runningbacks and hit another need. Carpenter seems to be a perfect fit for the Patriots, even drawing comparisons to Mike Vrabel. Carpenter has the ability to play inside or outside and would give the Patriots the flexibility it covets. Carpenter would be able to step in and play immediately, whereas a runningback would probably have a minimum impact this year.

He's a fair pick, but I'm not sure he has the best value for NE in terms of upside. Myself, I'd be taking a hard look at OT, CB, and TE or Daryl Tapp who was much more productive than Carpenter.

Box, i'm not sure i follow why we'd be looking at OT, CB and TE in the first round...we have our starting tackles and guards signed through 2009 and 2010....we have two fine pass catching TEs currently and need seems to be a blocking variety.....we are four or five deep at cornerback - and while we may want to draft a potential top CB for the team, i'd think that the coaching staff was encouraged enough by the progress of samual and hobbs last year to hold off on a first rounder in this position.
At 21 there are no DL worth a first round grade for the Pats. MWPF had Lawson off the board, and the other DE/OLB I like is Tapp who might be a reach at 21. Looking for value in the first round without a trade out, I'm left with OT, CB, and TE, all positions who have good value at 21 and won't hurt from an upgrade.

midwestpatsfan said:
Box:
LeMarcus is very agressive, which put him into some all or nothing situations last year. He is quick, but he bites on the pump fake alot and doesn't seem to recover very well. He is not very fluid in his hips and gets himself in trouble on the deep ball. He does have nice size and speed, he just doesnt use it very well. He will lay the lumber on someone if he gets a chance to, so that is a positive. He knocked a guy out cold last year on a hit, I can't remember who, but it was awesome. If he reads the play right, he is going to make the play. Has good hands, making some nice INT's. I look for him to go undrafted but could make some noise down the road. He played on ST's as well. Most of the Clones best players played on ST's, which the Patriots like to see.

Hope that helps.
Thanks, I had him rated for 6th-UDFA, it sounds like he would do okay on STs and could be a decent situational payer for the Pats which is what I'd be looking at that late in the day.

kurtinelson said:
I disagree. This is a great pick for the Jets. There is a major drop off at Center after Mangold. The Jets are in perfect position to pick up an LT like Colledge, O'Callaghan, Whitworth, Scott, etc. in round 2 or 3.
Sure, Mangold is a 1st round rating and the next Cs don't show up in mocks before round 3, but Koppen was a decent 5th round pick and his replacement at BC would be adequate on the second day (amongst others). OT is a much more critical need for Mangini and has better 1st day value.

Hard to imagine Ross doing half as well as Koppen, Ross the center from BC suffers from short arm disease and lacks Koppens functional upper body strength.

Ochmed Jones said:
Hard to imagine Ross doing half as well as Koppen, Ross the center from BC suffers from short arm disease and lacks Koppens functional upper body strength.
Half as well as Koppen for a 6 or 7th would do to help the JETS as they rebuild, Mangold would be nice, but I'd use a first on another position.

here a a couple...

phantom73 said:
not to take issue with this mock, or any of the mocks for that matter, but can someone tell me the last rookie LB to start for a bill belichick defense?

Even with the veteran LBs the Pats already have, it strikes me that the idea that greenway, lawson, or carpenter can come in and fill an immediate need might be awfully optimistic

Dear Phantom,

Yes i'd be glad to do so. There was one or actually several that I know of but your sarcasm is stilled with only one of their names. All the others I'm less certain of, but one, Mr. William "Willie" McGinnest Patriot #55 LB/DE from USC, I think will suffice...

The others I think include one Mr. Lawrence Taylor OLB NC, and the Giants, and the Patriots own Mr Sharpe SOLB, ?? , who also was one of the first cuts when Bellichick returned to the Pats in 2000.

All of these were when he was the defensive co-ordinator under Parcells with the Giants or Pats..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back