PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mock Draft with explanations

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
1. Texans-Reggie Bush, RB: While I don’t completely agree with this pick, I do believe this is what they will end up doing. It is not a question of Bush’s talent, but rather with the Texans holes at other positions on the team. They will have 2 above average RB’s making a ton of money, but they will continue to struggle because they did not fill other more pressing needs.

2. Saints-D’Brickshaw Ferguson, LT: The Saints are the wildcard team after filling their biggest need by signing Brees. This pick could easily be traded for additional picks, or the team could stay put and pick a few different players. The Saints have young talent at the DE position and have signed Scott Fujita to play linebacker. Ferguson has the chance to be an elite left tackle, which is coveted by all teams in the NFL, plus we have seen what Brees can do when he is protected.

3. Titans-Matt Leinart, QB: This seems like a no brainer pick. With Norm Chow as offensive coordinator and his history with Leinart, add the fact that the Titans need a young QB to take over for McNair next year. Leinart will be ahead of the game because he knows the system, but with an additional year of learning the game, he could be poised to break out in year two.

4. New York Jets-Mario Williams, DE: The Jets would love to see Ferguson drop to them, and he very well could. The Jets would also make a good trade partner with Saints as well. If neither one of the scenarios plays out, the Jets could take Williams to replace Abraham. The one question I have, will Williams fit into the jets new defensive scheme?

5. Packers-A.J. Hawk, LB: The Packers have a lot of problems on their team, drafting Hawk will help alleviate one of those. Hawk will pair up with Barnett to create a young and talented LB corp. that should give that defense a boost. As a wildcard pick, would the Packers be interested in taking a DT such as Ngata? Just a thought.

6. S.F.-Michael Huff, CB/S: Huff has the ability to play both CB and FS, which he did in college and excelled at both. He has great size and speed and has the ability to take away the opponents best receiver. The Niners are thin in the secondary, and need to replace Plummer. With Huff, not only do they replace him, but they get a significant upgrade.

7. Raiders-Haloti Ngata, DT: The Raiders lost their big nose tackle in Ted Washington and Warren Sapp is getting old. Ngata would be an instant contributor and give them some much need youth along the defensive line.

8. Buffalo-Winston Justice, OT: Unfortunately for the Bills, the players higher on their wish list are now gone, so they make a small reach to fill a big need. Justice can come in a play instantly; taking over for the disappointing Mike Williams

9. Lions-Jay Cutler, QB: I think we all can see that the Lions have decided to go another way at QB. This time around they decide to do it right and let a guy develop slowly instead of throwing him to the wolves right off the bat. Cutler can sit behind Jon Kitna for a year and then take over when he is ready.

10. Cardinals-Vince Young, QB: Another team that has put everything into place for a young quarterback to come in and succeed. Young will also probably sit his first year, but when he gets his chance, the cardinals could become one of the scariest offenses in the entire NFL.

11. St. Louis-Vernon Davis, TE: Davis is a freak of nature, plain and simple. He has good size and great speed for a Tight End. St. Louis is desperate for a playmaker at the position and have a gift fall into their lap. This pick helps bring back some of the “greatest show on turf†to St. Louis

12. Cleveland-Broderick Bunkley, DT: Over the last 2 years, Romeo Crennel has been cleaning house along the D-line to bring in 3-4 type of guys. While they did sign Ted Washington to play in the middle, he is merely a stop gap. Bunkley could be very versatile in a 3-4 defensive scheme.

13. Baltimore-Eric Winston, OT: The Ravens still have a dominating defense, but they need some help along the offensive line. Tony Pashos is penciled in as the starter right now, so I think that right there can warrant this pick. Winston has some injury issues, but has elite talent when healthy, and should be an instant upgrade.

14. Philadelphia-Chad Jackson, WR: Philadelphia needs to get some offensive weapons for McNabb. Jackson’s stock has skyrocketed himself all the way to the 1st wide receiver taken. Jackson has good size and good speed and should help lessen the blow of losing TO.

15. Denver-Santonio Holmes, WR: Denver misses out on Jackson, but gets a receiver I think fits into their offense perfectly. Holmes will be a great #3 to start off his career and when compliment Leslie as he transitions into the #2 wide receiver after Smith calls it quits.

16. Miami-Manny Lawson, OLB: Lawson has freakish size and speed and project out to an OLB in Nick Sabans 3-4 defense. Lawson is raw but will at the least be a situational pass rusher while learning the defense. Lawson is this years Demarcus Ware, and Ware showed everyone how disruptive he could be. Dallas and Miami run similar defenses and could be a huge help to Miami’s defense.

Last edited:
draft (cont.)

17. Minnesota-Ernie Sims, OLB: Sims is a little undersized but you can’t dispute how he plays. Drawing comparisons to Derrick Brooks speaks volumes to how this guy plays the game. Minnesota could look to trade up to grab one of the 3 big QB’s, but if they don’t, OLB is a big need and Sims would fit into their new Tampa 2 Defense.

18. Dallas-Jimmy Williams, CB: Once considered the best at the corner position in this draft and a sure fire top 10 pick, Williams stock has now started to drop because of reports of attitude problems. Dallas obviously values talent over character issues (see TO), but if Parcells can whip this guy’s attitude into shape, he can be a monster on the field, and a first round gift to a talented Dallas team.

19. San Diego-Donte Whitner, S: Whitner has quietly moved up the boards with solid workout numbers, and the Chargers need a playmaker in the secondary. Whitner is a ballhawk who can play either safety or corner in the NFL.

20. Kansas City-Antonio Cromartie, CB: Kansas City has been trying for 2 years to bring someone in to help upgrade their secondary, and so far with no luck. Cromartie is raw, but has lots of upside. He has great size and speed and looked good doing all the drills at the combine. Even though his playing experience is limited, his potential may not be. This pick is a boom or bust pick all the way.

21. Patriots-Bobby Carpenter, LB: With the loss of Willie McGinest this offseason and the age of the remaining linebackers on the team, they decide to pass on all the runningbacks and hit another need. Carpenter seems to be a perfect fit for the Patriots, even drawing comparisons to Mike Vrabel. Carpenter has the ability to play inside or outside and would give the Patriots the flexibility it covets. Carpenter would be able to step in and play immediately, whereas a runningback would probably have a minimum impact this year.

22. Denver-Lendale White, RB: Denver creates its own version of Thunder and Lightning with this pick. With Mike Anderson leaving via free agency, they Broncos could use a big between the tackles type runner to go with Tatum Bell, who is often hurt. Look for White to be the next in a long line of success stories at running back for the Broncos.

23. Buccaneers-Marcus McNeil, OT: The Bucs had an undrafted free agent starting at left tackle last year and were still successful at running the ball. Kenyatta Walker is a first round bust to say the least. McNeil would help solidify the left side and help fellow youngsters Williams and Sims in the running and passing game.

24. Bengals-Gabe Watson, DT: The Bengals could use some help on the interior part of the defensive line, and Watson has top 10 potential. While he has a history of mental lapses and playing lazy, lately he has shown more of his playmaking potential. If Lewis can stay on this guy and he gives 100% effort, Watson could be a huge addition to a defense that is trying to catch up to the Bengals high powered offense.

25. Giants-Chad Greenway, OLB: Greenway is a smart, athletic playmaker at the outside linebacker position. Greenway is great in space and can get sideline to sideline fast. He has not tested out well, but I think this is a steal at this point in the draft. Greenway is not flashy, but is a pure football player. I have seen him play personally a lot, and he will be a monster.

26. Bears-Ashton Youboty, CB: The Bears do have other needs besides TE. I know that is a shocker, but it is true. Tillman did not play very well last year and now with the retirement of Jerry Azumah, the Bears are very thin in the secondary. Last year the Bears defense probably won more games than the offense, and while the offense is improving, they will definetally lean on the defense once again for help. Obviously, Tight End would also be a logical pick here, but what fun is that.

27. Carolina-Leonard Pope, TE: Some Panther fans may have forgotten that there was even a Tight End position still in the NFL. Probably because they haven’t had a good pass catching TE in a really long time. Steve Smith was the teams only pass catching threat last year, and while they have added Keyshawn, another weapon would help take some of the pressure off of Smith and give Delhomme another target.

28. Jacksonville-DeAngelo Williams, RB: It is amazing how far players can fall. The Jags don’t mind at all. Williams is a good insurance policy for the often injured Fred Taylor. Williams possesses the same qualities as Taylor so he should fit into their system well and be ready to jump in full time when Taylor gets hurt or calls it quits.

29. Jets-Nick Mangold, C: Mangold has skyrocketed up the draft boards after his great performance during Senior bowl week. The Jets lost Kevin Mawae this offseason and need to bring in someone who can take over the position immediately.

30. Colts-Lawrence Maroney, RB: The Colts are extremely lucky that the running backs seem to be falling some this year. Maroney is a perfect back to come in and replace James. Maroney has nice size and quickness and should be very successful in the Colts offense.

31. Seattle-Mathias Kiwanuka, DE: With Bryce Fisher penciled in as the starter right now, the Seahawks could definitely handle an upgrade at the position. Kiwanuka has shown flashes of being a pass rushing monster, but will have to become stronger and more consistent to become an every down player.

32. Steelers-James Allen, S: Before Allen’s injury he was thought of as a sure first round pick. After his impressive showing at the combine he may have snuck back into the first round. Allen has great size and speed at the safety position, and if he can stay healthy, he could be an upgrade at the position in which they lost Chris Hope to free agency.

midwestpatsfan said:
4. New York Jets-Mario Williams, DE: The Jets would love to see Ferguson drop to them, and he very well could. The Jets would also make a good trade partner with Saints as well. If neither one of the scenarios plays out, the Jets could take Williams to replace Abraham, who is likely to be traded at some point. The one question I have, will Williams fit into the jets new defensive scheme?

Yeah, um, that already happened. :confused:

Looks good to me, at this point it looks like a WR or LB for the Patriots and there's more first round LB. I'd still prefer Greenway over Carpenter but it's not a huge big deal I guess.

midwestpatsfan - how about sticking around after that 4 letter word place comes back ? ;)

Overall looks very good to me - more realistic than most mocks, and I love the Carpenter pick.

oops, just saw that with the jets. As you can see this mock started some time ago and I forgot to update the Abraham trade. oops.

BelickickFan: I think I know what you are talking about, and this is my first home. In fact, I write in the 12th man section during the season, you should check out some of my previous work. I usually read more than I write because I know I know less than most of you guys.

midwestpatsfan said:
I know I know less than most of you guys.
I'd be willing to bet that you're dead wrong there :)

Are you you the midwestpatsfan who was real happy with the Hobbs pick last year ? I remember on {the four letter word} how much you talked him up if you are.

not to take issue with this mock, or any of the mocks for that matter, but can someone tell me the last rookie LB to start for a bill belichick defense?

Even with the veteran LBs the Pats already have, it strikes me that the idea that greenway, lawson, or carpenter can come in and fill an immediate need might be awfully optimistic

Last edited:
phantom73 said:
not to take issue with this mock, or any of the mocks for that matter, but can someone tell me the last rookie LB to start for a bill belichick defense?

Even with the veteran LBs the Pats already have, it strikes me that the idea that greenway, lawson, or carpenter can come in and fill an immediate need might be awfully optimistic
I think it's entirely possible, especially if we take a LB like Carpenter or Greenway as oppsed to a DE conversion like Lawson. Let's face it, McGinest mainly rushed the passer, defended the edge on the run and whacked offensive guys coming off the line. He wasn't dropping back into coverage a lot the past year or two. I think a rookie could take that role . . . starting ILB, maybe not.

I know Colvin said it took him a year to learn the defense but he came over largely as a rush DE from Chicago.

If the Pats were to take Carpenter, where do you play him??? Do you play him in the 5 technique, 7 technique or maybe even 9 technique?????? It's very hard to imagine Carpenter (wjo already lacks extremely valuable instincts) or any rookie LB, except maybe Parham having the mental abilities to play right away (provided Parham can sprint onto the field and lined up before the offense snaps the ball) any rookie coming in and playing right away. Not unless BB dumbs down the schemes for them.
But nevertheless where does Carpenter play???

BelichickFan:
I indeed was that very same person who talked up Ellis Hobbs here as well as any other place that would let me. I went to school at Iowa State and have had season tickets for the last 8 years. I also had a class with Hobbs and he was really a nice guy. It was definitely an early xmas present getting him on the Patriots. He played very well last and hope it will continue.

Now we have to look at another Iowa Stater as a mid to late round pick who I have high hopes for. Tim Dobbins, ILB. He was a monster last year and the team leader on defense. Great size and speed and a monster against the run. Needs some work in coverage, but a high cieling.

I was real high on Jordan Carstens 2 years ago, and now he is a starter on the Panthers defense.

Nick Leaders is a NT that will probably go undrafted and is another solid player.

Great, now that is all the good info I had to give.

Last edited:
phantom73 said:

Phantom73 -
Some things to ponder:

Prior to 2004, the Pats, under Belichick and Pioli, had only selected ONE underclassmen. IN 2004, they selected 3.

Prior to 2005, Belichick had only ever drafted ONE interior lineman in the 1st round. And that was back with the Cleveland Browns when he drafted Steve Everitt. He broke away from that when he drafted Mankins last year, though people point out that Mankins could also be a LT prospect.

BB has only drafted one LB in the 1st round and that was Carl Powell back with Cleveland.

BB likes to rely on previous coaches to give him insight on drafting players, but he doesn't always. For instance, people tought the connection with Saban, but gloss over the fact that Saban only could have helped on 13 of 51 picks the Patriots had made.

Anyways, I could see the Patriots drafting a OLB in the 1st round because that player, more than likely, will be better than the options currently on the team.

bruins -

you may very well be right, and belichick may very well take a lawson/carpenter/greenway with the 21st pick.

I am not saying it won't happen, I was simply asking if there is anything in Bell Belichick's history that suggests that any of these linebackers, if drafted in the first round, would make a significant impact in their rookie season. Personally, I can't see any of them taking on anything greater than a situational role next season while they learn the defense.

midwestpatsfan said:
BelichickFan:
I indeed was that very same person who talked up Ellis Hobbs here as well as any other place that would let me. I went to school at Iowa State and have had season tickets for the last 8 years. I also had a class with Hobbs and he was really a nice guy. It was definitely an early xmas present getting him on the Patriots. He played very well last and hope it will continue.

Now we have to look at another Iowa Stater as a mid to late round pick who I have high hopes for. Tim Dobbins, ILB. He was a monster last year and the team leader on defense. Great size and speed and a monster against the run. Needs some work in coverage, but a high cieling.

I was real high on Jordan Carstens 2 years ago, and now he is a starter on the Panthers defense.

Nick Leaders is a NT that will probably go undrafted and is another solid player.

Great, now that is all the good info I had to give.
Any insight on LaMarcus Hicks, seems like he had decent stats....

midwestpatsfan said:
1. Texans-Reggie Bush, RB: While I don’t completely agree with this pick, I do believe this is what they will end up doing. It is not a question of Bush’s talent, but rather with the Texans holes at other positions on the team. They will have 2 above average RB’s making a ton of money, but they will continue to struggle because they did not fill other more pressing needs.

An excellent summary, I'd give Kubiak the benefit of the doubt and expect him to draft for need - if his GM can handle the pressure of disappointed fan expectation - Fergusen would be the need pick.

2. Saints-D’Brickshaw Ferguson, LT: The Saints are the wildcard team after filling their biggest need by signing Brees. This pick could easily be traded for additional picks, or the team could stay put and pick a few different players. The Saints have young talent at the DE position and have signed Scott Fujita to play linebacker. Ferguson has the chance to be an elite left tackle, which is coveted by all teams in the NFL, plus we have seen what Brees can do when he is protected.

3. Titans-Matt Leinart, QB: This seems like a no brainer pick. With Norm Chow as offensive coordinator and his history with Leinart, add the fact that the Titans need a young QB to take over for McNair next year. Leinart will be ahead of the game because he knows the system, but with an additional year of learning the game, he could be poised to break out in year two.

4. New York Jets-Mario Williams, DE: The Jets would love to see Ferguson drop to them, and he very well could. The Jets would also make a good trade partner with Saints as well. If neither one of the scenarios plays out, the Jets could take Williams to replace Abraham. The one question I have, will Williams fit into the jets new defensive scheme?

To answer your question, absolutely. You have a guy a few pounds lighter then Seymour who is more athletic than McGinest. Mangini can plug him in Willie's elephant role at ROLB alongside a good run stuffing DE or try him in Sey's slot at LDE - Mangini got Von Olhoffen (sp?) from Pittsburgh to be the elder statesman on the D-line like BB did with Bobby Hamilton. The kid will struggle for a year or so, then become another AFCE monster.

5. Packers-A.J. Hawk, LB: The Packers have a lot of problems on their team, drafting Hawk will help alleviate one of those. Hawk will pair up with Barnett to create a young and talented LB corp. that should give that defense a boost. As a wildcard pick, would the Packers be interested in taking a DT such as Ngata? Just a thought.

6. S.F.-Michael Huff, CB/S: Huff has the ability to play both CB and FS, which he did in college and excelled at both. He has great size and speed and has the ability to take away the opponents best receiver. The Niners are thin in the secondary, and need to replace Plummer. With Huff, not only do they replace him, but they get a significant upgrade.

7. Raiders-Haloti Ngata, DT: The Raiders lost their big nose tackle in Ted Washington and Warren Sapp is getting old. Ngata would be an instant contributor and give them some much need youth along the defensive line.

If Oakland wanted to go to a 3-4 this would be a good move, but their D-line is converting to Warren Sapp wannabes who pick a gap and go. Broderick Bunkley is more of that type of player and he has been pushing Ngata down the draftnik boards after his Combine. I'm not sure what Shaw wants to do to rebuild his offense, but think what toy Al Davis bought for the team last year and look at the QB situation too.

8. Buffalo-Winston Justice, OT: Unfortunately for the Bills, the players higher on their wish list are now gone, so they make a small reach to fill a big need. Justice can come in a play instantly; taking over for the disappointing Mike Williams

9. Lions-Jay Cutler, QB: I think we all can see that the Lions have decided to go another way at QB. This time around they decide to do it right and let a guy develop slowly instead of throwing him to the wolves right off the bat. Cutler can sit behind Jon Kitna for a year and then take over when he is ready.

10. Cardinals-Vince Young, QB: Another team that has put everything into place for a young quarterback to come in and succeed. Young will also probably sit his first year, but when he gets his chance, the cardinals could become one of the scariest offenses in the entire NFL.

11. St. Louis-Vernon Davis, TE: Davis is a freak of nature, plain and simple. He has good size and great speed for a Tight End. St. Louis is desperate for a playmaker at the position and have a gift fall into their lap. This pick helps bring back some of the “greatest show on turf†to St. Louis

12. Cleveland-Broderick Bunkley, DT: Over the last 2 years, Romeo Crennel has been cleaning house along the D-line to bring in 3-4 type of guys. While they did sign Ted Washington to play in the middle, he is merely a stop gap. Bunkley could be very versatile in a 3-4 defensive scheme.

I disagree with Bunkley as a good fit in the 3-4, as noted above he's a penetrator first.

13. Baltimore-Eric Winston, OT: The Ravens still have a dominating defense, but they need some help along the offensive line. Tony Pashos is penciled in as the starter right now, so I think that right there can warrant this pick. Winston has some injury issues, but has elite talent when healthy, and should be an instant upgrade.

14. Philadelphia-Chad Jackson, WR: Philadelphia needs to get some offensive weapons for McNabb. Jackson’s stock has skyrocketed himself all the way to the 1st wide receiver taken. Jackson has good size and good speed and should help lessen the blow of losing TO.

15. Denver-Santonio Holmes, WR: Denver misses out on Jackson, but gets a receiver I think fits into their offense perfectly. Holmes will be a great #3 to start off his career and when compliment Leslie as he transitions into the #2 wide receiver after Smith calls it quits.

16. Miami-Manny Lawson, OLB: Lawson has freakish size and speed and project out to an OLB in Nick Sabans 3-4 defense. Lawson is raw but will at the least be a situational pass rusher while learning the defense. Lawson is this years Demarcus Ware, and Ware showed everyone how disruptive he could be. Dallas and Miami run similar defenses and could be a huge help to Miami’s defense.

midwestpatsfan said:
17. Minnesota-Ernie Sims, OLB: Sims is a little undersized but you can’t dispute how he plays. Drawing comparisons to Derrick Brooks speaks volumes to how this guy plays the game. Minnesota could look to trade up to grab one of the 3 big QB’s, but if they don’t, OLB is a big need and Sims would fit into their new Tampa 2 Defense.

18. Dallas-Jimmy Williams, CB: Once considered the best at the corner position in this draft and a sure fire top 10 pick, Williams stock has now started to drop because of reports of attitude problems. Dallas obviously values talent over character issues (see TO), but if Parcells can whip this guy’s attitude into shape, he can be a monster on the field, and a first round gift to a talented Dallas team.

19. San Diego-Donte Whitner, S: Whitner has quietly moved up the boards with solid workout numbers, and the Chargers need a playmaker in the secondary. Whitner is a ballhawk who can play either safety or corner in the NFL.

20. Kansas City-Antonio Cromartie, CB: Kansas City has been trying for 2 years to bring someone in to help upgrade their secondary, and so far with no luck. Cromartie is raw, but has lots of upside. He has great size and speed and looked good doing all the drills at the combine. Even though his playing experience is limited, his potential may not be. This pick is a boom or bust pick all the way.

21. Patriots-Bobby Carpenter, LB: With the loss of Willie McGinest this offseason and the age of the remaining linebackers on the team, they decide to pass on all the runningbacks and hit another need. Carpenter seems to be a perfect fit for the Patriots, even drawing comparisons to Mike Vrabel. Carpenter has the ability to play inside or outside and would give the Patriots the flexibility it covets. Carpenter would be able to step in and play immediately, whereas a runningback would probably have a minimum impact this year.

He's a fair pick, but I'm not sure he has the best value for NE in terms of upside. Myself, I'd be taking a hard look at OT, CB, and TE or Daryl Tapp who was much more productive than Carpenter.

22. Denver-Lendale White, RB: Denver creates its own version of Thunder and Lightning with this pick. With Mike Anderson leaving via free agency, they Broncos could use a big between the tackles type runner to go with Tatum Bell, who is often hurt. Look for White to be the next in a long line of success stories at running back for the Broncos.

23. Buccaneers-Marcus McNeil, OT: The Bucs had an undrafted free agent starting at left tackle last year and were still successful at running the ball. Kenyatta Walker is a first round bust to say the least. McNeil would help solidify the left side and help fellow youngsters Williams and Sims in the running and passing game.

We can only hope, this kid needs help with speed rushers, though he'd be an okay RT.

24. Bengals-Gabe Watson, DT: The Bengals could use some help on the interior part of the defensive line, and Watson has top 10 potential. While he has a history of mental lapses and playing lazy, lately he has shown more of his playmaking potential. If Lewis can stay on this guy and he gives 100% effort, Watson could be a huge addition to a defense that is trying to catch up to the Bengals high powered offense.

25. Giants-Chad Greenway, OLB: Greenway is a smart, athletic playmaker at the outside linebacker position. Greenway is great in space and can get sideline to sideline fast. He has not tested out well, but I think this is a steal at this point in the draft. Greenway is not flashy, but is a pure football player. I have seen him play personally a lot, and he will be a monster.

26. Bears-Ashton Youboty, CB: The Bears do have other needs besides TE. I know that is a shocker, but it is true. Tillman did not play very well last year and now with the retirement of Jerry Azumah, the Bears are very thin in the secondary. Last year the Bears defense probably won more games than the offense, and while the offense is improving, they will definetally lean on the defense once again for help. Obviously, Tight End would also be a logical pick here, but what fun is that.

27. Carolina-Leonard Pope, TE: Some Panther fans may have forgotten that there was even a Tight End position still in the NFL. Probably because they haven’t had a good pass catching TE in a really long time. Steve Smith was the teams only pass catching threat last year, and while they have added Keyshawn, another weapon would help take some of the pressure off of Smith and give Delhomme another target.

28. Jacksonville-DeAngelo Williams, RB: It is amazing how far players can fall. The Jags don’t mind at all. Williams is a good insurance policy for the often injured Fred Taylor. Williams possesses the same qualities as Taylor so he should fit into their system well and be ready to jump in full time when Taylor gets hurt or calls it quits.

29. Jets-Nick Mangold, C: Mangold has skyrocketed up the draft boards after his great performance during Senior bowl week. The Jets lost Kevin Mawae this offseason and need to bring in someone who can take over the position immediately.

A good choice, but if I were Mangini I'd be looking for a LT first and grab a C later in the draft.

30. Colts-Lawrence Maroney, RB: The Colts are extremely lucky that the running backs seem to be falling some this year. Maroney is a perfect back to come in and replace James. Maroney has nice size and quickness and should be very successful in the Colts offense.

31. Seattle-Mathias Kiwanuka, DE: With Bryce Fisher penciled in as the starter right now, the Seahawks could definitely handle an upgrade at the position. Kiwanuka has shown flashes of being a pass rushing monster, but will have to become stronger and more consistent to become an every down player.

32. Steelers-James Allen, S: Before Allen’s injury he was thought of as a sure first round pick. After his impressive showing at the combine he may have snuck back into the first round. Allen has great size and speed at the safety position, and if he can stay healthy, he could be an upgrade at the position in which they lost Chris Hope to free agency.
Thanks for putting in the time and sharing your thoughts!

phantom73 said:

People said the same thing about DBs before Wilson and Samuel stepped in as rookies. And the same thing about OLmen before Mankins and Kaczur stepped in, etc..

phantom73 said:
I am not saying it won't happen, I was simply asking if there is anything in Bell Belichick's history that suggests that any of these linebackers, if drafted in the first round, would make a significant impact in their rookie season. Personally, I can't see any of them taking on anything greater than a situational role next season while they learn the defense.
How many people thought a rookie corner (Samuel) could do so well starting as a rookie? How many people thought a rookie corner (Wilson) could move to a new position for him as a rookie, and do such a great job starting?

Just because Bellicheck hasn't done a particular thing yet doesn't mean it's not a possibility.

He's a fair pick, but I'm not sure he has the best value for NE in terms of upside. Myself, I'd be taking a hard look at OT, CB, and TE or Daryl Tapp who was much more productive than Carpenter.

Box, i'm not sure i follow why we'd be looking at OT, CB and TE in the first round...we have our starting tackles and guards signed through 2009 and 2010....we have two fine pass catching TEs currently and need seems to be a blocking variety.....we are four or five deep at cornerback - and while we may want to draft a potential top CB for the team, i'd think that the coaching staff was encouraged enough by the progress of samual and hobbs last year to hold off on a first rounder in this position.

Box:
LeMarcus is very agressive, which put him into some all or nothing situations last year. He is quick, but he bites on the pump fake alot and doesn't seem to recover very well. He is not very fluid in his hips and gets himself in trouble on the deep ball. He does have nice size and speed, he just doesnt use it very well. He will lay the lumber on someone if he gets a chance to, so that is a positive. He knocked a guy out cold last year on a hit, I can't remember who, but it was awesome. If he reads the play right, he is going to make the play. Has good hands, making some nice INT's. I look for him to go undrafted but could make some noise down the road. He played on ST's as well. Most of the Clones best players played on ST's, which the Patriots like to see.

Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing