PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Miami's on to Tua

Bill Lee

What, me worry?
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda shocking. MIA is in the lead in the AFCE. Why rock the boat?
Something going on that we don't know? Maybe Fitzy has the 'rona?

Kinda shocking. MIA is in the lead in the AFCE. Why rock the boat?
Something going on that we don't know? Maybe Fitzy has the 'rona?

BUF is still leading the division.

And Miami is on a BYE....they need to give Tua time to prepare.

I was hoping this wouldn't happen for another few weeks...now when we face Tua....it will be in week 15 and Tua will be making his 8th start (versus 3 or 4 like I was hoping for).

BUF is still leading the division.
Ok, thanks for the correction.
Yet it's still shocking to me.
MIA is better than people thought they would be at 3-3.
They're ahead of us at 2-3.
They've won their last two with Fitzy doing well.
Tua got in for some garbage time vs da Jete, that's it.
I guess MIA wants to see the future, but I still think there's more to it.
Seems like the coaching staff would want to ride Fitzy till he falters.

Interesting. Maybe the bye was always when the switch was going to happen.

I am stunned that Flores would do this. And as Pats fan I love it.
A rookie QB is going to cost this team some wins. That is almost certain.

I guarantee you Flores wasn't behind this decision. If it were up to him, Tua would ride the bench for at least this season, to become comfortable with the pro game.

As it is, Stephen Ross is one impatient *******. But that's the poison Flores chose when he became HC down there.

So... throwing Tua in the water with the sharks. It's swim or sink time. We'll find out soon.

I guarantee you Flores wasn't behind this decision. If it were up to him, Tua would ride the bench for at least this season, to become comfortable with the pro game.

As it is, Stephen Ross is one impatient *******. But that's the poison Flores chose when he became HC down there.

So... throwing Tua in the water with the sharks. It's swim or sink time. We'll find out soon.
Very good point here re Flores and Ross. I hadn't thought of Ross being behind this. That said, if Flores walked in to a Miami situation where he didn't have total control over personnel on the field, he never should have taken that job. It should have been a prerequisite for taking the job!

Very good point here re Flores and Ross. I hadn't thought of Ross being behind this. That said, if Flores walked in to a Miami situation where he didn't have total control over personnel on the field, he never should have taken that job. It should have been a prerequisite for taking the job!
First time coaches don't get that kind of power. For Flores he's making life-changing money and is impressing a lot of people It isn't the optimum situation but he's doing quite well for himself, IMO.

Ok, thanks for the correction.
Yet it's still shocking to me.
MIA is better than people thought they would be at 3-3.
They're ahead of us at 2-3.
They've won their last two with Fitzy doing well.
Tua got in for some garbage time vs da Jete, that's it.
I guess MIA wants to see the future, but I still think there's more to it.
Seems like the coaching staff would want to ride Fitzy till he falters.
Based on what? I heard(haven't watched the game) that Fitzmagic practically tried to give the game away to the jetes with the redzone int and another pick.

Seems stupid. Flores will look like a genius if Tua ends up looking great from the beginning, but it's a huge gamble. There was nothing wrong with Fitzpatrick so far.

Based on what? I heard(haven't watched the game) that Fitzmagic practically tried to give the game away to the jetes with the redzone int and another pick.
CBS referred to Fitzy's performance as 'stellar'.
One of the INTs was the 'butt interception' and seems the MIA WR didn't track the ball very well:

INTs are a part of Fitzy's game. Gotta accept he's a risk taker. Cam had two less than glorious picks on Sunday. The price of doing business it seems. I personally doubt Tua will do better. I have no problem thinking Jeff Ross made the call.

SI in with a hot take:
It’s not because there is always an inevitable downside to the Fitzpatrick curve, although some of his former head coaches might caution Brian Flores that an ascent with Fitzpatrick always has an abrupt end. It’s because the Dolphins are essentially rebooting their season with a massive advantage over the Rams, Cardinals and Chargers (their next three opponents)—a shiny, new offense, featuring one of the best quarterbacks college football has seen in the past 10 years.
It would not surprise me, and should not surprise you, if this is the kind of move that lifts Miami to the playoffs. (If you think that is a hot take, check out what they're saying down in Florida already.)

As we saw in limited glimpses against the Jets on Sunday, even a basic rollout from the rookie quarterback forces an adjustment defensively, as players are used to following the flow of a right-handed QB. The plays that do carry over from Miami’s playbook are now flipped, which allows Gailey a chance to play some three-dimensional chess during the bye week and punish defensive coordinators trying to pick up on his tendencies
Ref: Tua Should Have Dolphins Thinking Playoffs

That's the view if it all goes well. The difference is they are on a roll with Fitzy so if Tua struggles the locker room will divide.

Yet if he's a competent starter or better, they'll have advanced their rebuild plan by a lot.

Should be interesting to watch going forward.

Fitzmagic will be a free agent so it makes sense to learn now if Tua has some game. How Tua plays will dictate how Miami negotiates with Fitz, a QB who has probably played well enough to secure a decent pay bump in the open market. If Tua plays well enough, Miami may just move on rather than overpay for a #2.
And Fitz likely believes he can find a starter's job elsewhere

Tank for Tua coming true

next two starts, Rams and @ Cards....let's see what ya got Tua.....

If Dolphins are seeing something in practice and think this time will benefit him significantly in 2021 I think it is a smart play. It could cost them a few wins this year but the Dolphins would not do better than one and done in playoffs as an absolute best case scenario anyways so I can understand the move. Hopefully he is not something special.

SI in with a hot take:

Ref: Tua Should Have Dolphins Thinking Playoffs

That's the view if it all goes well. The difference is they are on a roll with Fitzy so if Tua struggles the locker room will divide.

Yet if he's a competent starter or better, they'll have advanced their rebuild plan by a lot.

Should be interesting to watch going forward.

Well if that's what Miami was trying to do, they're pretty dumb for announcing Tua as the starter, prior to their bye. That gives the LA two full weeks to get ready. One week for the scouting dept to get out all the college tape on Tua and put together a cutup and pointers that's ready by the time LA is finished with Chicago.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back