PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McIntyre letter to Dr. Marlow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobsyouruncle

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
McIntyre has written a letter to Dr. Marlow. Exponent "forgot" to correct their graphs for the gauge they say was used. Dr. Marlow may have actually missed this. McIntyre is somewhat well known and respected and I think Marlow will likely have some response.

He may argue McIntyre is wrong (not likely), or McIntyre missed something. McIntyre has used this sort of approach many times, pointing out errors and politely correcting them through letters and it has been effective at getting corrections.

If he can pull off pulling the NFLs biggest expert away it would be a very big deal.

Dear Dr. Marlow

I am an experienced data analyst and have followed the Deflategate controversy with interest. I wish to draw the following material misdescription and error in the Exponent report to your attention. Will Happer, who I am copying, knows me and can vouch for me. I am also copying this to Daniel Goldberg and Jeffrey Kessler.
After correcting the error, it can no longer be said that anomalous Patriot deflation exists regardless of assumption on gauges.

While both you and Exponent have argued that the Non-Logo gauge must have been used for Patriot measurements, this does not justify Exponent’s erroneous description of the procedures used in Figure 27 (and 30) or any conclusions drawn from that figure.

http://climateaudit.org/2015/08/08/letter-to-daniel-marlow-on-exponent-error/

This seems pretty crucial apparently Kessler and Snyder missed a major point on this issue. He even notified them of it.

I'm going to have to read it again when I get home From work, some of this stuff goes right over my head lol.

Dont think NFL cares about the science or facts anymore or did ever.

They don't care if the balls were even deflated. It's about winning and restoring their reputation.

McIntyre has written a letter to Dr. Marlow. Exponent "forgot" to correct their graphs for the gauge they say was used. Dr. Marlow may have actually missed this. McIntyre is somewhat well known and respected and I think Marlow will likely have some response.

He may argue McIntyre is wrong (not likely), or McIntyre missed something. McIntyre has used this sort of approach many times, pointing out errors and politely correcting them through letters and it has been effective at getting corrections.

If he can pull off pulling the NFLs biggest expert away it would be a very big deal.

http://climateaudit.org/2015/08/08/letter-to-daniel-marlow-on-exponent-error/

This kind of 'win' has media value. As everyone can see from the media in part turning on Goodell, media opinion matters (unfortunately). That's where it ends for the value of correcting Exponent.
Exponent is not in the business of being fair, being corrected or caring to get it right after the fact. They are in the business of getting paid for making an argument that favors their paying client and make it seem all science-y. They did their job for scumbag Goodell and they have moved on. I bet they are probably now saying "what is deflategate?".

The only reason for Goodell/NFL using the phone lies, the "independence" lies, "the punishment was decided by" lies, the appalling 'it's fair if I say it's fair' argument is they fear the Exponent-Wells weakness will not hold up to scrutiny before the law, and fear the communications between the scumbags when putting together/creating the "report" is going to see the light of day and underscore even more the weakness and scummy-ness of the report. At this point I assume they absolutely knew the "report" did not indicate Brady is guilty, and they want this weak and contrived story known as Exponent-Wells Report shelved/boxed up and put away. They want it out of the legal conversation. It's unneeded as they can do anything want, they can make it up as they go, the report is whatever we say it is so it has no legal value and the court has no reason to talk about it or see any communications from when it was being created. Besides, they will say, Brady destroyed crucial evidence that would indicate he is guilty (something so bad they have never seem something so bad in this history of the human race!!). That makes him punishment worthy right there just in case the 'we can do anything we want' argument doesn't fly.

That about sum up the Exponent-Wells Report value as of today?

Glad McIntyre showed the gross errors in the Exponent work. Currently the value will be only at a PR level, even if Brady went for a Defamation Lawsuit Exponent being wrong wouldn't matter since it wouldn't speak to the malice by the NFL in this case.

When you have to fit the narrative to the conclusion, many shortcuts are taken and the facts are misconstrued to fit that conclusion..

Difficult to believe that a "revered" group like Exponent was this sloppy, did they really believe that no one would examine their work?? Maybe they were under the false assumption that this was not a serious issue, and their research would not be called into question...

A total sham from the Sunday night, late after the Colt's slapping.

You couldn't be more correct. The numbers are exactly what you would expect based on the original testimony of Anderson, so an honest interpretation would lead you to the conclusion that nothing happened. Or, at the very least, that no conclusion could be drawn from the psi data.

This is why they made no attempt to account for time, their wetness technique was so perfunctory and all other possible influences were assumed to have minimal impact. It was never meant to be legitimate support, it's just an avalanche of numbers designed to confuse and deceive.

The criticism itself is not what's a big deal. Many people have pointed out errors (though this one is unique, and means the Pats balls fall in range on either gauge). Exponent doesn't care, but Dr. Marlow doesn't work for exponent, he was the Princeton scientist who signed off on exponent being right.

I'm saying if (and it's a big if), McIntyre can get Marlow to concede the error then the whole report falls apart. It it would fall apart from the only scientist the NFL has that supported it. Maybe Marlow ignores that, but given the high profile, and the fact that his reputation is on the line I think he will respond to the criticism in some way. Almost nobody noticed the error, so I think it may have been an honest mistake by Dr. Marlow.

Judge Berman may not care, but it could still be important.

Almost nobody noticed the error, so I think it may have been an honest mistake by Dr. Marlow.

All evidence points to the contrary.

I previously drew this error to the attention of Ted Wells on June 29 without any effect, but hope that you will have more concern.

LOL :D

Exponent's business relies on not making corrections.

If Exponent starts correcting things in the midst of client legal battles, it will cease to be a business.

In other words, expect nothing from this--unless Peter King takes it up.

Exponent's business relies on not making corrections.

If Exponent starts correcting things in the midst of client legal battles, it will cease to be a business.

In other words, expect nothing from this--unless Peter King takes it up.
Dr. Marlow doesn't work for exponent.

But, but, but...Tom Brady had a coworker with a goofy nickname. So he must be guilty. /sarcasm

:rolleyes:

It is pretty obvious in retrospect that this was never the highest priority.

It is pretty obvious in retrospect that this was never the highest priority.

Once the league realized they'd look like buffoons because of the science it became a pr battle focused on convicting the Patriots. No other reason to wait that long to release the real numbers. Frankly I'm surprised they didn't lie in the wells report to make the numbers look worse. They've taken every possible negative thing and used it as a sign of guilt (deflator texts, cell phone) and not looking at all of the independent science, the fact that the only reference to psi in the report is saying "they're supposed to be 13", the fact that Brady told them to bring a copy of the friggin rule book to the refs, etc. the league would rather destroy their most successful QB ever than admit they let this get out of hand and didn't understand the science, it's insane, and even if he did do it the punishment is absurd, largely because they blew it so far out of proportion for media clicks. Could you imagine the NHL suspending Sidney Crosby 21 games and fining the penguins a first and a fourth because the equipment guy was grabbing him an illegal curve without any evidence that Crosby instructed him to do it? The whole thing is madness.

It would be fantastic if Marlow acknowledges the critical error. Would just be another positive PR news. Let's see if this prof is truly interested in a legit debate over the facts and not content with a cashed check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back