PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McDonough with a huge shot at the nfl last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

wow. I totally agree with him the flags make the game so much less watchable. I hate how "And there is no flag on the field!" after like some huge play is part of the deal, like you are always expecting the most exicting parts of football to be ruined by a flag. Imagine if in game 7, bottom of 8th or something after a long at bat, someone hits a three run homer.. The crowd goes wild.. and everyone is praying to god there is no nullifying flag. The game would suck.

There should be a version of football where you can mug each other, hold, a constant fight, the QB has to run around... All passes would be like back yard football where the receive has to get open then you gun it at him. That is what the XFL should have done.

And this goes back full circle...all of the extracurricular stuff like Defamegate, whatever-gate, Kaepernick, etc might not have registered so strongly if the one-field product were better. Alas, with a declining quality, it's easier to walk away and perhaps not come back.

Tell Goodell I'm done watching his sham of a football game until he calls off his refs.......

And this goes back full circle...all of the extracurricular stuff like Defamegate, whatever-gate, Kaepernick, etc might not have registered so strongly if the one-field product were better. Alas, with a declining quality, it's easier to walk away and perhaps not come back.
The problems stem from conscious decisions the NFL and its marketeers have made to focus on the off-the-field stuff instead of the on-the-field product. Look for instance at what percentage of nfl.com / NFL Network is dedicated to that baloney. Imagine if the NFL put its efforts into improving its on-the-field product and left the media stuff to the media? We might see some sort of developmental league (remember the old NFL Europe) and some common sense rule changes (like letting NFL scouts give feedback to college athletes earlier so some of them would stay in school and develop some more there instead of leaving and then never making an NFL team) etc.

Kaepernick's refusal to eat meat? What a prick. Vegetarians forcing their life styles down our throats RUINING AMERICA!!!

Heard on Mad Dog sports radio this morning about this. The hosts of Morning Men were talking about the repurcussions of his comments. They were saying someone from NFL will definitely reach out to ESPN and send a message to McDonough.
It takes some guts to say during a primetime game (aside the fact that it was a horrible game). We need more announcers like him.

Heard on Mad Dog sports radio this morning about this. The hosts of Morning Men were talking about the repurcussions of his comments. They were saying someone from NFL will definitely reach out to ESPN and send a message to McDonough.
It takes some guts to say during a primetime game (aside the fact that it was a horrible game). We need more announcers like him.
Maybe they'll replace him with a clone of Gruden, "Now that might be the greatest call I've ever seen man, these officials are the best in sports I'll ya what man." "Man I agree, this is the greatest game ever and I bet the ratings are off the chart."

Six called penalties before the first quarter was over. I turned it off after that. That **** was unwatchable.

Of the penalties called, I agreed with most of them. The fault lies more with the crappy play on the field than the refs or the rule book.

Good for him, maybe he does have a little of his father in him after all.

I was not a big fan of Will McDonough, I thought he crossed the line too many times journalistically, injecting himself personally into stories. "The world according to Will" was often not one that logical people could recognize. However, throughout the Schiesskopf reign of idiocy I have often wished that someone with Will's guts and intolerance for phoniness/BS were around to blow a whistle on Commissioner Blockhead, BSPN, Harbaugh, Irsay/Polian/Grigson, etc. I don't know if that would have been enough to prevent "Camera-placement-gate" from getting out of hand but I absolutely believe that there would have been no "Too-Goddamned-stupid-to-understand-a-fundamental-principle-of-science-gate" with Will blowing the whistle on Kensil-Pash and exposing Mortenson's fraudulence. Unfortunately there isn't anyone of his caliber out there anymore, at least not one with the national-level juice to have been effective (with all due respect to Curran, Reiss, and even little Florio).

Of the penalties called, I agreed with most of them. The fault lies more with the crappy play on the field than the refs or the rule book.
And that can also be blamed on the CBA for the less practice time. Less practice= sloppier play.

wow. I totally agree with him the flags make the game so much less watchable. I hate how "And there is no flag on the field!" after like some huge play is part of the deal, like you are always expecting the most exicting parts of football to be ruined by a flag. Imagine if in game 7, bottom of 8th or something after a long at bat, someone hits a three run homer.. The crowd goes wild.. and everyone is praying to god there is no nullifying flag. The game would suck.

There should be a version of football where you can mug each other, hold, a constant fight, the QB has to run around... All passes would be like back yard football where the receive has to get open then you gun it at him. That is what the XFL should have done.

Blitz: The League - Wikipedia

Other posters have mentioned this, and the refs get some blame for a few blatantly bad calls, but by and large the replays show an egregious foul on each play a flag was thrown.

I swear the new way to teach DB or OL play is to coach a hold/grab on every play and hope the refs get tired of calling it.

Has there been a single run outside the tackles this year where the OT/TE isn't holding the defensive player?

Lousy play/lousy technique is epidemic.

This game was so pitiful I actually missed the boring commentator say that. But I'm glad the BSPN hired him. Hopefully it will increase the rate of BSPN's impending implosion.

Last edited:
Ratings are down because the games are bad. The majority of fans won't stop watching because of deflategate, only the really, really hardcore types care about that and only a fraction of them might care enough to stop watching.

Bad games equal watching something else. Last night's game was a great example of that and I don't know what the NFL can do to fix that. It looked like a good matchup on paper if you forget the LOL Jets factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes