PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo-laga

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachK

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
What if Maualaga gets by san Diego at #16. does anyone think BB would try to go up and get him??

I would love to see Mayo and Rey patrolling the middle of the defense for the next 5 years.

I'd hate it, the guy can't even show up in shape to his job interviews.

What if Maualaga gets by san Diego at #16. does anyone think BB would try to go up and get him??

No.

In fact, if he's on the board at #23, I'm willing to bet he's still on the board at #24.

Do you guys REALLY think we should draft an ILB high?

I don't, anyway.

IIRC didn't he pull his hammy on his FIRST 40 attempt???

Where is the love for the best MLB in this draft??

Do you guys REALLY think we should draft an ILB high?

I don't, anyway.

Has nothing to do with need..it's all about value !!

I doubt we would take him at #23, much less "go up and get him". He's a 2-down thumper with limited athletic ability. Would rather move Sintim inside.

I would love to see Mayo and Rey patrolling the middle of the defense for the next 5 years.

Yep in a second, the guy is the stud of all studs. ILB combo becomes legendary...

I am serious.

Where is the love for the best MLB in this draft??
With the people who want a 4-3 MLB, those shopping for a SILB in the NE 3-4 see better fits elsewhere.

Yep in a second, the guy is the stud of all studs. ILB combo becomes legendary...

I am serious.
I've been meaning to talk with you about those meds.

Seriously people, where's the love for Maualaga. I remember last year some of the fans on here were disappointed at the fact that he chose to go back to school (When we had a top 10 pick). Now that he's in the draft, and may drop down as a late 1st, nobody wants him. But honestly I would take him especially if he dropped to 23rd. Isn't that the way Wilfork fell and look what we got out of him, the best 3-4 DT in the league. I would take a chance on a supposebly top 10 pick at 23rd next to the 2008 top 10 pick in Mayo. Out of those two, that would be future leadership and domination in the middle.

Seriously people, where's the love for Maualaga. I remember last year some of the fans on here were disappointed at the fact that he chose to go back to school (When we had a top 10 pick). Now that he's in the draft, and may drop down as a late 1st, nobody wants him. But honestly I would take him especially if he dropped to 23rd. Isn't that the way Wilfork fell and look what we got out of him, the best 3-4 DT in the league. I would take a chance on a supposebly top 10 pick at 23rd next to the 2008 top 10 pick in Mayo. Out of those two, that would be future leadership and domination in the middle.

The problem is that even on Maualuga's best day, he's too similar to Mayo. We don't need a backup guy to wade through the trash and make tackles. We need somebody who can take on a guard or tight end, stuff him in the hole, and force the play. That's not Maualuga.

I'm actually working on a theory that we should draft an undersized, uber-athletic Defensive Tackle (like Tedy Bruschi) to develop as an ILB. The idea is that he'd be used to taking on and defeating blocks, so he would be less likely to Monty Beisel himself around a blocker. He'd also present a better matchup against those linemen getting to the second level.

Last edited:
I'm actually working on a theory that we should draft an undersized, uber-athletic Defensive Tackle (like Tedy Bruschi) to develop as an ILB. The idea is that he'd be used to taking on and defeating blocks, so he would be less likely to Monty Beisel himself around a blocker. He'd also present a better matchup against those linemen getting to the second level.
I had high school ILB Eric Foster (Rutgers/Indianapolis) in my sights for that reason.

EDIT: Robert Ayers?

Last edited:

I understand where you are coming from. It's the "uber-athletic" part that is hard to find.

I posted a thread about a month ago suggesting that Robert Ayers from Tennesee might be a potential SILB candidate. He is 6'2" 273#, was an ILB in high school, and has moved around quite a bit in Tennessee's defense, including stints at both DT and ILB. He seems to be the best candidate for what you describe. Looking at films of him he is extremely quick and mobile for his size. I continue to keep him in the background as a possible pick, though he is considered a late 1st/early 2nd rounder by many right now.

Here's the link to my original thread:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/214681-robert-ayers.html

I understand where you are coming from. It's the "uber-athletic" part that is hard to find.

I posted a thread about a month ago suggesting that Robert Ayers from Tennesee might be a potential SILB candidate. He is 6'2" 273#, was an ILB in high school, and has moved around quite a bit in Tennessee's defense, including stints at both DT and ILB. He seems to be the best candidate for what you describe. Looking at films of him he is extremely quick and mobile for his size. I continue to keep him in the background as a possible pick, though he is considered a late 1st/early 2nd rounder by many right now.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/13/214681-robert-ayers.html
Path to the Draft discussed him last night or the night before and I finally saw clips beyond the Senior Bowl showing him up on his feet, it makes me more open to the idea.

Path to the Draft discussed him last night or the night before and I finally saw clips beyond the Senior Bowl showing him up on his feet, it makes me more open to the idea.

I liked the footage that I saw of him and thought I saw a lot of SILB potential. If the Pats thought he could make the transition and he somehow lasted to #58 I would jump all over him. Perhaps even at #47. I think Ayers, Sintim and English are my main SILB candidates for the Pats. I haven't figured out my preferred order yet. It may be whichever one falls.

Ayers isn't on my draft board right now, but if he is agile enough to play ILB (I haven't seen enough on-field action to know), I'd give him a shot...but I think he's going to go too high for such a translation...and there's the rub. The guys that have the athleticism to make it work get picked up early by the Tampa 2 teams....and I don't know how comfortable I am spending a top 50 pick on such a project.

The problem is that even on Maualuga's best day, he's too similar to Mayo. We don't need a backup guy to wade through the trash and make tackles. We need somebody who can take on a guard or tight end, stuff him in the hole, and force the play. That's not Maualuga.

How about Mitch King from Iowa for that role? Didn't we already try Klecko at this before...

Ayers isn't on my draft board right now, but if he is agile enough to play ILB (I haven't seen enough on-field action to know), I'd give him a shot...but I think he's going to go too high for such a translation...and there's the rub. The guys that have the athleticism to make it work get picked up early by the Tampa 2 teams....and I don't know how comfortable I am spending a top 50 pick on such a project.
Well Ayers, much like Sintim, would have added value in other team roles while he's learning the trade. I think the core defense is established and strong enough, even with lesser talents starting, to consider spending those higher picks for the athletes who need to crosstrain and develop.

How about Mitch King from Iowa for that role? Didn't we already try Klecko at this before...
Yes, Klecko got a shot at it, but it took away from his natural strength - his quickness off the snap - and forced him to try to learn to hand fight with longer armed OL who could now adjust for him. He used to have his hands on OL off the snap before they even lifted their's from the ground, that's why he had some success at NT as short and small as he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes