PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maybe Cam is a better QB than we (and everybody else) thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running, I'd give him an A, passing, I'd give him a C (and I'm being kind). He's 22nd in passing yards, he has TWO TD passes, which is dead last I believe. In his last 5 starts, 3 with the Pats, last 2 with Carolina, he has TWO TD passes and 3 Ints. So I think we have to slow our roll a bit. Right now, after 3 starts, he's not better than we thought, he's been ok. Both wins are true team wins, they have 2 defensive TDs already, special teams have been good, running game, in both wins have been amazing. The passing game has been below average compared to the rest of the league.

He has 2 TD passes, both to running backs. TEs have been ignored, anyone not named Edelman, Harry, Byrd, Burkhead & Michel is not being targeted. IF teams stop the run, this team can be stopped, yes I give Cam props for keeping the team in the Seattle game, came up just 1 yard short. But I want to see more diversity in the passing game.

Running, I'd give him an A, passing, I'd give him a C (and I'm being kind). He's 22nd in passing yards, he has TWO TD passes, which is dead last I believe. In his last 5 starts, 3 with the Pats, last 2 with Carolina, he has TWO TD passes and 3 Ints. So I think we have to slow our roll a bit. Right now, after 3 starts, he's not better than we thought, he's been ok. Both wins are true team wins, they have 2 defensive TDs already, special teams have been good, running game, in both wins have been amazing. The passing game has been below average compared to the rest of the league.

He has 2 TD passes, both to running backs. TEs have been ignored, anyone not named Edelman, Harry, Byrd, Burkhead & Michel is not being targeted. IF teams stop the run, this team can be stopped, yes I give Cam props for keeping the team in the Seattle game, came up just 1 yard short. But I want to see more diversity in the passing game.

grading Cam's passing through the lens of solely looking at stats is just....whew

Did you watch the games or are you just going off the boxscore? Cam struggled at the beginning of the Raiders game, calling his own performance subpar...but that was more of an aberration compared to the first two games.

Then you name FIVE players that Cam targets lol. Sheesh, Cam is only targeting all three top WRS on the team and two running backs...and that's a criticism? It would be nice to get the TE's more involved, but who are the tight ends again? Ryan Izzo had a total of nine targets last year, and he has 5 so far this year. Some say tight end is the most difficult position on the Pats due to all the responsibilities involved. Maybe the TE group just isn't very good?

You must hate Bledsoe.
I am not huge Bledsoe fan but Gannon never qb'd for the Pats and Dowling never started. Kapp was good once upon a time but Patriots Joe Kapp? 98 for 219 Joe Kapp? 3TD's 17 Int's Joe Kapp? Wow. There is a reason he never played again that had nothing to do with his contract situation. We are talking Scott Secules territory. Kapp might have been the worst starting QB in Pats history. And he only cost the Pats 2 number ones.

i'm surprised he doesn't have bledsoe around 15 behind guys like davey, millen, hodson and cavanaugh.

grading Cam's passing through the lens of solely looking at stats is just....whew

Did you watch the games or are you just going off the boxscore? Cam struggled at the beginning of the Raiders game, calling his own performance subpar...but that was more of an aberration compared to the first two games.

Then you name FIVE players that Cam targets lol. Sheesh, Cam is only targeting all three top WRS on the team and two running backs...and that's a criticism? It would be nice to get the TE's more involved, but who are the tight ends again? Ryan Izzo had a total of nine targets last year, and he has 5 so far this year. Some say tight end is the most difficult position on the Pats due to all the responsibilities involved. Maybe the TE group just isn't very good?
Well said...I mean, saying “anyone not named Edelman, Harry, Byrd, Burkhead & Michel...” is actually kind of funny. A quarterback keying too much on a guy can be an issue but when you’re reeling off like half a dozen names I’m not sure what point you think you’re making.

I agree BUT look at his weapons. I know we said this over and over last year BUT nothing has changed. I don't care even if he is throwing more to Harry and Byrd. These receivers stink. Period. I won't blame Cam for looking mediocre at times.
Add in the fact that he has hardly any time in the system, a banged up Edelman, no TE to speak of, and these kind of games are going to be normal for the next few months. If he’s having the same problems come November, we should be worried.

Cam has played better than I envisioned but it’s far too early to form an opinion other than the fact he’s better than I figured

He has been ok in the passing game so far.

For me, the Seattle performance was more about the seahwaks extremely bad pass defense (1292 yards allowed in 3 games!!!) than the greatness of Cam. There was 2 or 3 more balls who could have been picked in this game, like in the raiders game.

Mans if it was not for Pete Carroll’s bad decision to throw a bomb on 3rd and 1 this game would not have been close.

I’ll give him credit for taking advantage of the opportunities given by Seattle.

There's another thread where posters are talking about him getting $35 million next year after only two games, so yeah he's better than everyone thought.
Not necessarily. There were people advocating Dorsett be extended in season because there'd be a bidding war for his services otherwise after the first three games one year. Yeah, that's a true story. :whistle:

Giving him a C stat-wise is probably accurate but the way he has thrown the ball, I would give him a B thus far. I do agree we need to see more. There has to be more if we are going to compete with the good teams but he is progressing and is just 3 games. What I am most concerned about his decision-making. His pick vs the Raiders was horrific and he threw into double or triple coverage a few times. He also had guys open but didn't see them. This is the area that HAS to get better and we always took for granted when we had Brady. I think with more coaching hopefully he will improve.

Nobody who has watched him play through his career thought he was not an amazing QB. The only legit concerns were his health and whether he would be a good fit in NE. Keeping fingers crossed on both counts. So far so good. I was worrried he would be a freelancer and BB would just be like "Nope" but that clearly is not the case. He's a team player, hard worker, good head for the game. He's a football player.

A lot of the predictions here were Brady leaves and the Pats would be a team picking in the top 3 of the draft next year.

Clearly not true, because Cam is good and also a lot of teams this year absolutely blow.

A lot of the predictions here were Brady leaves and the Pats would be a team picking in the top 3 of the draft next year.

Clearly not true, because Cam is good and also a lot of teams this year absolutely blow.

well without Cam newton we probably are.

id like to see more out of the passing game though. 2 TD's in 3 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey