PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maybe Cam is a better QB than we (and everybody else) thought?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not based upon solely Patriots career.

But, if I did, then...

1. Tom Brady
2. Steve Grogan
3. Babe Parilli
4. Drew Bledsoe
5. Tony Eason

Had Flutie/Dowling been handed the starting job with a decent team, you're in the playoffs at least

Had Plunkett/Kapp had a decent team, ditto

Gannon & Newton are worthy MVP's and way better than Drew

Nothing against Bledsoe...Jeff George, Neil Lomax, Kerry Collins are okay, like him - just not great

No. I disagree. Cam is at least 3rd on that list. Eason?? No way. Bledsoe?? I love Bledsoe but Cam is better. Granted it's a two game snapshot but it's basically still preseason and the Pats are looking good. Very good. I'm impressed.

I hope they sign him long term. He has definitely earned it.

It's not based upon solely Patriots career.

But, if I did, then...

1. Tom Brady
2. Steve Grogan
3. Babe Parilli
4. Drew Bledsoe
5. Tony Eason

Had Flutie/Dowling been handed the starting job with a decent team, you're in the playoffs at least

Had Plunkett/Kapp had a decent team, ditto

Gannon & Newton are worthy MVP's and way better than Drew

Nothing against Bledsoe...Jeff George, Neil Lomax, Kerry Collins are okay, like him - just not great
Some more interesting (to me) Patriot franchise history passer rankings.

• Cam Newton now ranks first in Patriots history with a 71.4 completion percentage (minimum 5 attempts).
  • The .500 won-loss percentage places Newton in a tie for 10th best.
  • The one win as the starting QB puts Newton in a tie at 17th, with Jacoby Brissett, Tom Hodson, replacement year QB Bob Bleier and four others.
  • Newton is the 24th quarterback to win a game with the Patriots, and the 30th to start a game for the Pats.
  • Cam is now in a 16-way tie for most career touchdown passes. Among those he is tied with: Gino Cappelletti, Adam Vinatieri, Mosi Tatupu, Julian Edelman, David Patten, Vinny Testaverde and Brian Hoyer.
  • Newton's passer rating of 96.8 places him in 4th place among those with at least ten passes, just behind Tom Brady's 97.0. Jimmy Garoppolo is second with 106.2, and Andy Johnson (7-13, 4 TD) is first at 106.6.

• Newton became the 99th player in franchise history to rush for over 100 yards as a Patriot. His 122 yards rushing ranks 94th, just behind Stanley Morgan (127) and ahead of Harry Crump (120, 1963) and Lamont Warren (120, 1999).
  • Cam became the 107th player to rush for Patriot touchdown last week. His four rushing touchdowns places him at 50th in team history, tied with RB Fred Taylor (2009-10), RB LaMont Jordan (2008), RB Robert Weathers (1982-86) and QB/P Tom Yewcic (1961-66).

Cam never had an elite OC in his career at Carolina. Three years of Rob Chudzinski and Norv Turner + five years of Mike Shula. Chud and Turner are average to above average. Shula is bad.

Say what you want about McDaniels but he's definitely better than any of these guys.

Still early but I'm impressed with Cam on the passing game. He was throwing darts between the numbers all over the place yesterday.

Impressed to the point that begs the question, is it possible that this guy is better than what was the common sense between football fans about his game? It's hard to imagine a situation where a veteran player in the most important position in sports, after so many years, have something new or undiscovered but think about this:

He had his moments in Carolina but he never really had weapons, a good O-line and coaching, yes, I think Ron Rivera is an average HC, not only that but they exposed Cam to situations similar to Luck in Indianapolis.

It's not like we have an awesome WR core but we have some guys and we have a good playbook. McDaniels really pisses me of sometimes with some calls but he is a the top OC in the league and a constant in the Pats coaching staff is that they don't try to extract from a player what he can't give. They know how to put players in position to succeed.

Summing all this up, maybe I'm to excited or maybe we found ourselves in a better situation than we were a couple months ago when he was signed.
I never thought Cam was elite but yesterday that was elite QB playing from both QBs.

I agree about the coaching. I think what we're seeing is what happens when the talent of someone like Cam is married up with the best HC in football.

LOL, Joe Kapp. At least you didn't put Michael Bishop, Jeff Carlson or Scott Secules ahead of Bledsoe. At this rate Newton (552 yards passing in two games, despite the run-oriented game plan in week one) will pass Kapp's infamous 1970 performance for passing yards in franchise history in just two weeks.

The only player I have ever seen compile a negative AV in a season on Pro Football Reference.
  • 1-9 in ten starts
  • 3 TD, 17 Interceptions
  • 7.8% interception rate, plus an 11.0% sack rate, 1.4% touchdown rate
  • 98-219, 44.7%, 100.4 yards passing per game

But he did give out good candy at Halloween.. we trick or treated at his house when he lived in Milton back then......

I agree about the coaching. I think what we're seeing is what happens when the talent of someone like Cam is married up with the best HC in football.

More importantly and by extension not only the best HC, but also one of the best OC, and a top notch QB coach.

To me the big difference has been the tuning up of Cam's throwing mechanics and his footwork. But the biggest (and best) difference has been his willingness to improve, to change his habits. Now that he is more squared up in his stance, he is able to get the ball out more quickly and accurately.

I'm really liking this newborn Cam. As I've said before, being unemployed for three months must have been a wakeup call for him to not take things for granted.

not surprisingly cam did well with good coaching and he's doing well with good coaching. really looking forward to bills/pats to watch an veteran version of josh allen against his protege

I mean he was having his best completion year in 2018 before his shoulder injury.

I think it also shows how important coaching is. cam may not play like this if he went to another team...

"Better than we thought" isn't exactly a high bar.

But, yes, he's been great so far. Much better than I thought. Beyond his play, the way he's bringing energy and excitement and supporting his teammates, etc., has also been splendid.

Cam played great the first 2 weeks but so have a ton of other QB's so far. 15 QB's have a completion % over 67% with 9 of them over 70%. 13 QB's have a rating over 100 and with 8 at 115 or higher. 7 are averaging over 300 yards a game. Not trying to take away from his great start but what constitutes great QB play in 2020 may be much different than historical comparisons.

Cam played great the first 2 weeks but so have a ton of other QB's so far. 15 QB's have a completion % over 67% with 9 of them over 70%. 13 QB's have a rating over 100 and with 8 at 115 or higher. 7 are averaging over 300 yards a game. Not trying to take away from his great start but what constitutes great QB play in 2020 may be much different than historical comparisons.
Yeah. With no off-season or preseason that heavily favors offenses. That being said, Cam has looked great. That is all you can ask. I don't think he was underrated but more questioned in terms of his health. I thought he was washed. I am glad to be wrong.

I don't think the question ever was whether Newton was a highly talented QB...he didn't become League MVP by being mediocre.

The question was whether he could come back from a long layoff and injury. He's only 31. In his prime as a QB. He also has a chip on his shoulder bigger than Brady's!

If he stays healthy, I think a lot of people will be re-evaluating their assessment of the Pats' potential this year. Even though they lost on Sunday night, they showed that they could be competitive with any team in the league and came up a yard short on a questionable play call at the last second. It would be great if they could find him another weapon at TE or WR. But, BB has shown that he can "make do" many times in the past.

Cam has come in and been awesome.. While I was concerned whether he could win the starting job on a Belichick coached team, he's done that and more. Hopefully he does well and continues to help the guys like Harry progress. This seems like it's going to be a very special year despite everything.

I did not know what to expect. He played well on Sunday, but we got 14 games left in the regular seasin.

Some more interesting (to me) Patriot franchise history passer rankings.

• Cam Newton now ranks first in Patriots history with a 71.4 completion percentage (minimum 5 attempts).
  • The .500 won-loss percentage places Newton in a tie for 10th best.
  • The one win as the starting QB puts Newton in a tie at 17th, with Jacoby Brissett, Tom Hodson, replacement year QB Bob Bleier and four others.
  • Newton is the 24th quarterback to win a game with the Patriots, and the 30th to start a game for the Pats.
  • Cam is now in a 16-way tie for most career touchdown passes. Among those he is tied with: Gino Cappelletti, Adam Vinatieri, Mosi Tatupu, Julian Edelman, David Patten, Vinny Testaverde and Brian Hoyer.
  • Newton's passer rating of 96.8 places him in 4th place among those with at least ten passes, just behind Tom Brady's 97.0. Jimmy Garoppolo is second with 106.2, and Andy Johnson (7-13, 4 TD) is first at 106.6.

• Newton became the 99th player in franchise history to rush for over 100 yards as a Patriot. His 122 yards rushing ranks 94th, just behind Stanley Morgan (127) and ahead of Harry Crump (120, 1963) and Lamont Warren (120, 1999).
  • Cam became the 107th player to rush for Patriot touchdown last week. His four rushing touchdowns places him at 50th in team history, tied with RB Fred Taylor (2009-10), RB LaMont Jordan (2008), RB Robert Weathers (1982-86) and QB/P Tom Yewcic (1961-66).
This is great. look forward to a weekly update. I love stats. The Cam watch is ON!!!!

The man won a Heisman, national champion.NFL mvp of a 15-1 team, took his team to superbowl. You put him on a team that went to 3 of the last 4 superbowl, a squad that should have been the#2 seed last year. Its magic waiting to happen, the dynasty never died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots