PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

May 19 in Pats History: he came off the bench when Drew Bledsoe was injured in 2000

jmt57

Staff member
Reaction score
Today in Patriots History
He can tell his grandkids about the time

he was two spots above TB12 on the depth chart

Happy 54th birthday to John Friesz
Born May 19, 1967 in Missoula, Montana
Patriot QB, 1999-2000; uniform #17
Signed as a veteran free agent on April 22, 1999

john-frieszjpg-81fd9bed1940b12a.jpg

John Friesz was 32 when he arrived in New England; a career backup with the exception of going 4-12 as the starter for the 1991 Chargers. He got playing time in one 2000 game after Drew Bledsoe jammed his thumb; it didn't go as well as it did for another backup when Drew was injured a year later. An interception on the one-yard line of a 16-13 overtime loss to Buffalo in 2000 brought out the boo-birds, and chants for Michael Bishop. Friesz was 11-21 for 66 yards, no touchdowns and that one pick in what would be his only game with stats for the Patriots.

Friesz finished his NFL career with 8,699 passing yards, 45 TD and 42 INT. He was released in February of 2001, despite erroneous reports that claim Tom Brady's ascent up the depth chart was aided by Friesz retiring.

Pretty good column on John Friesz below:
Oct 31, 2010 - Storytelling with John Friesz | The Coeur d'Alene Press

Clad in his New England Patriots uniform at a Monday night football game in 2000, John Friesz' thoughts traveled back home to Coeur d'Alene.
"When I was at the end of my professional career, that's all I could think about was comin' back here to elk hunt in October or deer hunt in November. And here I was playin' football. I'll never forget, it was a Monday night game at the New York Jets. Tom Brady was the fourth-string quarterback and I was the back-up quarterback... It's incredible, the atmosphere. John Madden is there. It's just a huge game... The stadium, literally, you could feel it shaking. And I said to Brady, 'I don't even want to be here. The deer are runnin' back there. They're chasin' the does and that's where I wanna be.' I always knew I was comin' back (to Coeur d'Alene) for sure. And I couldn't wait to do that."
Friesz began his 11-year professional quarterback career with four teams when The San Diego Chargers chose him in the sixth round of the 1990 NFL Draft. Prior to the pros, Friesz gained national recognition for his quarterbacking excellence at the University of Idaho. Amongst many accomplishments as a Vandal, Friesz is the university's first inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame.
But before the spotlight shone on Friesz as a football star, he was an easy-going North Idaho kid who loved our outdoor paradise and playing sports. Baseball was his first and favorite one.

QB%2Bdepth%2Bchart%2B2000%2BII.jpg

John Friesz (17), Michael Bishop (7) and Drew Bledsoe (11)

Another good column on Friesz, Brady and Bledsoe during 2000 below:
Feb 7, 2021 - How ex-Coeur d'Alene, Idaho and Seahawks quarterback John Friesz helped mentor a rookie Tom Brady

Brady tended to gravitate toward the veteran Friesz because of their similar long-shot backgrounds and workman’s approach.
They often discussed nuances of the game, staying in the league, locker room politics and who downloaded the most songs onto their computers from the peer-to-peer sharing network of Napster.
“He worked very hard,” Friesz said. “He asked questions that rookies don’t typically ask. You knew there was something different about him. He was on different level, mentally.”
Buried on the depth chart, Brady still hated losing.
“I remember we had lost a game at Cleveland, and we were sitting by each other on the bus,” Friesz said. “He says, ‘I just don’t get it. Why doesn’t anybody seem to care?’ I had to explain that it is much different than college and high school. People are more out for themselves here.”

Friesz won the 1989 Walter Payton Award as the national player of the year at the NCAA I-AA level, and a three-time All-American, including a first-team honoree each of his final two seasons. Friesz was also a three-time Big Sky Player of the Year. He led the nation in passing yards as a junior and again as a senior and still holds the NCAA I-AA record for consecutive 300-yard passing games (10). Friesz finished his career with 10,697 career passing yards, and when his career was over he ranked third in DI-AA history for career passing yards per game at 305.6. He became a part of Idaho and NCAA history in 2006, when his number 17 was retired at Idaho and he was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

April 24, 1990 - Chargers 'Steal' a Quarterback: NFL draft: They didn't draft John Friesz of Idaho until the sixth-round, but the team's management believes it has made the biggest theft in the 1990 college player market | LA Times

"I heard I was high on a lot of draft boards and when I didn't go until the sixth round, it confused me," Friesz said. "It got to the point I didn't know what the rumor was about me or if there was one.
"Several other teams said that they would take me with their second pick, but they didn't think I would still be there. After they didn't pick me on their fifth pick, I got a little confused. Tampa Bay and Seattle called to ask if I was injured or if there was some other problem they didn't know about. I told them, 'Nothing new with me; I'm just waiting.' "
The Chargers were waiting, too, hoping Friesz would fall far enough so that they could draft him. With no choices in the fourth or fifth rounds, they had to sit and hope teams would keep passing him by.
Nine quarterbacks went before Friesz, including Craig Kupp of Pacific Lutheran--who GM Bobby Beathard said he had never even heard of

April 23, 1999 - Patriots sign Friesz, send Shaw to Browns | Hartford Courant

The Patriots finally made it official Thursday, announcing quarterback John Friesz had signed a two-year, $1.5 million contract.
The Patriots also announced they had traded running back Sedrick Shaw to the Cleveland Browns for past considerations.
The signing of Friesz (6 feet 4, 223 pounds) signals the end of Scott Zolak's eight-year career with the Patriots. Friesz will back up Drew Bledsoe.
"We wanted to find somebody that had some background in the system," coach Pete Carroll said. "John had that with Washington. We felt we could make a good fit with this."
Friesz, 31, has played 66 games, starting 38, in nine seasons with the Redskins, Chargers and Seahawks. He has 8,633 career yards and a .547 completion percentage, with 45 touchdowns and 41 interceptions.
In 1998, Friesz played five games with Seattle. In his only start, he completed 14 of 21 passes for 234 yards, including an 81-yard touchdown, in a 27-20 victory over San Diego.
"We liked the way he came off the bench last year in a couple of games," Carroll said. "I would think he can give us an upgrade at the spot."
Michael Bishop, a seventh-round draft pick from Kansas State, is expected to be the other quarterback on next season's roster.

Feb 22, 2001 - Friesz, two others released | Patriots.com

The New England Patriots released backup quarterback John Friesz and linebackers Olrick Johnson and Marc Megna Thursday.
Last season Friesz played in the Patriots 16-13 loss to Buffalo in Week 10 when Bledsoe left the game with a thumb injury. Friesz completed 11-of-21 passes for 61 yards, threw one interception and was sacked three times. In his only other appearance, which came in Week Eight of 1999, he played the final 5:25 of New England 27-3 win over Arizona, but he did not attempt a pass.

3UTEGYHIVII6NCDPG6OUGVSIUA.jpg

May 19, 2014: Nine days after the draft, the Patriots sign their 14th, 15th and 16th undrafted rookie free agents. This move came a day after the end of the team's three-day rookie minicamp. Considered at the time to be more of a tryout than an actual signing, one of these players was Malcolm Butler.

That information was understandably buried deep beneath the news that Ty Law had been elected to the Patriots Hall of Fame.

One other pro football player born on this date with a New England connection:

Norm Harvey (5/19/1899 - 12/24/1941)
LT/E/C/G for the 1928-29 Providence Steamroller.

I very much recall this guy not sucking whenever he had a chance to play. Might be the rosy glasses of distant memories but whatever.

Fun fact: Actor Jamie Foxx and Michael Bishop are 1st cousins.

For his role in "Any Given Sunday", Foxx was a HS QB but received a few pointers from Bishop on QB play.

Friesz taking 21 attempts to muster up 66 yards is a pretty terrible stat. That 2000 Pats offense was pretty brutal. Weird season. Also weird to think Tom was on the roster at the time but so many people I knew were clamoring for Michael Bishop to play.

Today in Patriots History
He can tell his grandkids about the time

he was two spots above TB12 on the depth chart

Happy 54th birthday to John Friesz
Born May 19, 1967 in Missoula, Montana
Patriot QB, 1999-2000; uniform #17
Signed as a veteran free agent on April 22, 1999

john-frieszjpg-81fd9bed1940b12a.jpg

John Friesz was 32 when he arrived in New England; a career backup with the exception of going 4-12 as the starter for the 1991 Chargers. He got playing time in one 2000 game after Drew Bledsoe jammed his thumb; it didn't go as well as it did for another backup when Drew was injured a year later. An interception on the one-yard line of a 16-13 overtime loss to Buffalo in 2000 brought out the boo-birds, and chants for Michael Bishop. Friesz was 11-21 for 66 yards, no touchdowns and that one pick in what would be his only game with stats for the Patriots.

Friesz finished his NFL career with 8,699 passing yards, 45 TD and 42 INT. He was released in February of 2001, despite erroneous reports that claim Tom Brady's ascent up the depth chart was aided by Friesz retiring.

Pretty good column on John Friesz below:
Oct 31, 2010 - Storytelling with John Friesz | The Coeur d'Alene Press

Clad in his New England Patriots uniform at a Monday night football game in 2000, John Friesz' thoughts traveled back home to Coeur d'Alene.
"When I was at the end of my professional career, that's all I could think about was comin' back here to elk hunt in October or deer hunt in November. And here I was playin' football. I'll never forget, it was a Monday night game at the New York Jets. Tom Brady was the fourth-string quarterback and I was the back-up quarterback... It's incredible, the atmosphere. John Madden is there. It's just a huge game... The stadium, literally, you could feel it shaking. And I said to Brady, 'I don't even want to be here. The deer are runnin' back there. They're chasin' the does and that's where I wanna be.' I always knew I was comin' back (to Coeur d'Alene) for sure. And I couldn't wait to do that."
Friesz began his 11-year professional quarterback career with four teams when The San Diego Chargers chose him in the sixth round of the 1990 NFL Draft. Prior to the pros, Friesz gained national recognition for his quarterbacking excellence at the University of Idaho. Amongst many accomplishments as a Vandal, Friesz is the university's first inductee into the College Football Hall of Fame.
But before the spotlight shone on Friesz as a football star, he was an easy-going North Idaho kid who loved our outdoor paradise and playing sports. Baseball was his first and favorite one.

QB%2Bdepth%2Bchart%2B2000%2BII.jpg

John Friesz (17), Michael Bishop (7) and Drew Bledsoe (11)

Another good column on Friesz, Brady and Bledsoe during 2000 below:
Feb 7, 2021 - How ex-Coeur d'Alene, Idaho and Seahawks quarterback John Friesz helped mentor a rookie Tom Brady

Brady tended to gravitate toward the veteran Friesz because of their similar long-shot backgrounds and workman’s approach.
They often discussed nuances of the game, staying in the league, locker room politics and who downloaded the most songs onto their computers from the peer-to-peer sharing network of Napster.
“He worked very hard,” Friesz said. “He asked questions that rookies don’t typically ask. You knew there was something different about him. He was on different level, mentally.”
Buried on the depth chart, Brady still hated losing.
“I remember we had lost a game at Cleveland, and we were sitting by each other on the bus,” Friesz said. “He says, ‘I just don’t get it. Why doesn’t anybody seem to care?’ I had to explain that it is much different than college and high school. People are more out for themselves here.”

Friesz won the 1989 Walter Payton Award as the national player of the year at the NCAA I-AA level, and a three-time All-American, including a first-team honoree each of his final two seasons. Friesz was also a three-time Big Sky Player of the Year. He led the nation in passing yards as a junior and again as a senior and still holds the NCAA I-AA record for consecutive 300-yard passing games (10). Friesz finished his career with 10,697 career passing yards, and when his career was over he ranked third in DI-AA history for career passing yards per game at 305.6. He became a part of Idaho and NCAA history in 2006, when his number 17 was retired at Idaho and he was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame.

April 24, 1990 - Chargers 'Steal' a Quarterback: NFL draft: They didn't draft John Friesz of Idaho until the sixth-round, but the team's management believes it has made the biggest theft in the 1990 college player market | LA Times

"I heard I was high on a lot of draft boards and when I didn't go until the sixth round, it confused me," Friesz said. "It got to the point I didn't know what the rumor was about me or if there was one.
"Several other teams said that they would take me with their second pick, but they didn't think I would still be there. After they didn't pick me on their fifth pick, I got a little confused. Tampa Bay and Seattle called to ask if I was injured or if there was some other problem they didn't know about. I told them, 'Nothing new with me; I'm just waiting.' "
The Chargers were waiting, too, hoping Friesz would fall far enough so that they could draft him. With no choices in the fourth or fifth rounds, they had to sit and hope teams would keep passing him by.
Nine quarterbacks went before Friesz, including Craig Kupp of Pacific Lutheran--who GM Bobby Beathard said he had never even heard of

April 23, 1999 - Patriots sign Friesz, send Shaw to Browns | Hartford Courant

The Patriots finally made it official Thursday, announcing quarterback John Friesz had signed a two-year, $1.5 million contract.
The Patriots also announced they had traded running back Sedrick Shaw to the Cleveland Browns for past considerations.
The signing of Friesz (6 feet 4, 223 pounds) signals the end of Scott Zolak's eight-year career with the Patriots. Friesz will back up Drew Bledsoe.
"We wanted to find somebody that had some background in the system," coach Pete Carroll said. "John had that with Washington. We felt we could make a good fit with this."
Friesz, 31, has played 66 games, starting 38, in nine seasons with the Redskins, Chargers and Seahawks. He has 8,633 career yards and a .547 completion percentage, with 45 touchdowns and 41 interceptions.
In 1998, Friesz played five games with Seattle. In his only start, he completed 14 of 21 passes for 234 yards, including an 81-yard touchdown, in a 27-20 victory over San Diego.
"We liked the way he came off the bench last year in a couple of games," Carroll said. "I would think he can give us an upgrade at the spot."
Michael Bishop, a seventh-round draft pick from Kansas State, is expected to be the other quarterback on next season's roster.

Feb 22, 2001 - Friesz, two others released | Patriots.com

The New England Patriots released backup quarterback John Friesz and linebackers Olrick Johnson and Marc Megna Thursday.
Last season Friesz played in the Patriots 16-13 loss to Buffalo in Week 10 when Bledsoe left the game with a thumb injury. Friesz completed 11-of-21 passes for 61 yards, threw one interception and was sacked three times. In his only other appearance, which came in Week Eight of 1999, he played the final 5:25 of New England 27-3 win over Arizona, but he did not attempt a pass.

3UTEGYHIVII6NCDPG6OUGVSIUA.jpg

One other pro football player born on this date with a New England connection:

Norm Harvey (5/19/1899 - 12/24/1941)
LT/E/C/G for the 1928-29 Providence Steamroller.

You got us! Not me, of course, but the rest of us dummies.

I remember Marc Megna! Local dude, Durfee High School, drafted by the Jete a year earlier I think...I had hoped he could stick, but alas...

Last edited:
@jmt57 you need to change "he" to "He" otherwise you are committing blasphemy!

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back