Staff member
Reaction score
Today in Patriots History
Ellis Hobbs

Happy 38th birthday to Ellis Hobbs
Born May 16, 1983; from DeSoto, Texas
Patriot CB, 2005-2008; uniform #27
Pats 3rd round (84th overall) selection in the 2005 draft, from Iowa State

Ellis Hobbs played in 63 regular season and 8 playoff games with the Patriots. During those four seasons he had ten interceptions, five fumble recoveries and three kickoffs returned for touchdowns. In an early 2007 game I can remember screaming at the television when Hobbs decided to take a kickoff out from eight yards deep in the end zone versus the Jets... and a few seconds later whooping it up after he ran it back 108 yards for a score. At that point in time it tied the NFL record for the longest play in NFL history.

Hobbs was victimized in the 2006 AFCCG loss at Indianapolis when the referee flagged him for face guarding - even though that penalty no longer existed. The 5'9 Hobbs was also inexplicably left alone to cover 6'5 Plaxico Burress at the goal line in the super bowl loss to the Giants a year later. During the 2009 draft the Patriots traded Ellis to Philadelphia for a pair of draft picks (Rich Ohrnberger and Jake Ingram). Hobbs spent two years with the Eagles before having to retire due to neck injuries.

EHIII-thumb-275x380-33679.jpg

Ellis Hobbs played in 79 regular season NFL games (63 for New England), with 56 starts (46 for the Pats). While in a Patriot uniform he averaged 27.7 yards on 105 kickoff returns, with three touchdowns. He had nine interceptions, 41 passes defensed, five fumble recoveries, and one forced fumble. Hobbs is credited with 198 tackles (162 solo) with the Pats, six tackles for a loss, 2.5 sacks and two quarterback hits. He also played in eight playoff games with the Patriots, with two interceptions.

jqb9fppqwr55bpeio45a.jpg

zuhfe3kdegihnm0xvdin.jpg

gnigk5i6dpwexe4lutbg.jpg

ve7kjxdq66y8hhm6ucgy.jpg

zoc19zdx1rpqmrmziorh.jpg

More May 16 Birthdays

Happy 34th birthday to Derrick Martin
Born May 16, 1985 in Denver
Patriot safety, 2012; uniform #26
Signed as a veteran free agent on August 4, 2012

Derrick Martin was a special teams ace, playing in 73 regular season games over eight NFL seasons with four starts. The Ravens drafted Martin in the sixth round of the 2006 draft out of Wyoming. After three seasons in Baltimore he spent two with the Packers, then one each with the Giants, Patriots and Bears. Martin received Super Bowl rings in 2010 and 2011 with Green Bay and New York.

derrick%2Bmartin.jpg

In 2012 Martin was let go by the Patriots during roster cuts at the end of training camp, but was re-signed in mid-season when Sterling Moore was released. Martin appeared in five games for the Pats in 2012, the first coming in a 37-31 victory over the Bills in week ten.

Happy 61st birthday to Randy Sealby
Born May 16, 1960 in Ann Arbor, Michigan
Patriot LB, 1987; uniform #59

One of the Replacement Players, Sealby got in for two games, with a fumble recovery on his stat sheet. He has spent close to thirty years as a Special Agent in the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Happy 70th birthday to Merv Krakau
Born May 16, 1951 in Jefferson, Iowa
Patriot LB, 1978; uniform #53
Signed as a veteran free agent approx. Dec 1, 1978

Merv Krakau was a very late (14th round, 344th overall) draft pick out of Iowa State by Buffalo in 1973. He defied the odds and not only survived roster cuts, but became a starter in '75. In 1976 Krakau led Buffalo in tackles and ranked second in the NFL with six fumble recoveries.

After 5½ years with the Bills he arrived in Foxborough near the end of the 1978 season. His one and only game with the Patriots came in a Week 15 26-24 victory over the Bills. Krakau later played for the Tampa Bay Bandits of the USFL.

IMG_2806.jpg

Happy 27th birthday to Kamu Grugier-Hill
Born May 16, 1994 in Honolulu
Patriot OLB 2016 (offseason); uniform #48
Pats 6th round (208th overall) selection in the 2016 draft, from Eastern Illinois

Similar to Steve Freeman from a week ago, Kamu Grugier-Hill falls into the category of 'one who got away'. He never played a down for the Patriots, but has been on the field for more than 1,200 snaps in 69 NFL games since then.

kamu-grugier-hill-2-philly-eagles-vo_35985392_ver1.0_640_360.jpg

KGH was waived on September 3, 2016 as part of final roster cuts, and claimed the next day by Philadelphia. In his rookie season he appeared in twelve games, almost exclusively on special teams. In 2017 his playing time increased (from one defensive snap to 85, and from 187 special team snaps to 343) as he appeared in all 19 games. The following year the Eagles again expanded his role further, with KGH on the field for 328 defensive snaps (32% of the defense's plays).

Kamu Grugier Hill on how he felt to play against the Patriots in Super Bowl 52

"Not going to lie. I was hoping and praying they were going to win, because I wanted them so bad," Grugier-Hill admitted. "I want to go out there. I've been talking to my friends that I have on the team over there already. It's a big one for me, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I want to show them and show the world exactly why they should have kept me."

After exacting his revenge against the Patriots in Super Bowl 52, KGH became a free agent in 2020 and signed a one-year, $3 million contract with Miami. Two months ago he signed a one-year, $2.5 million deal with Houston. KGH has played in 69 NFL games (plus five postseason games) with 17 starts, making 126 tackles (including 12 tackles for a loss). He has logged 921 snaps on defense and 1,236 on special teams. In 2017 he also showcased a bit of versatility that Patriot role players are known for: he kicked off four times in a victory over Dallas after Philly's kicker was sidelined with a concussion. He averaged 62 yards per kickoff (with one touchback), though he never had a chance to put it through the uprights: Philly went for two after their final four touchdowns.

May 16, 2003: The Patriots sign veteran free agent Don Davis
The linebacker was a special team standout and competent backup from 2003 to 2006, at which point he retired at the age of 35. Davis later served as an assistant strength and conditioning coach as well as team chaplain; he is now an executive in the NFLPA.

Other pro football player with New England connections born on this date include:
- Mickey Erickson (5/16/1905); center for the 1932 Boston Braves.

- Eddie Casey (5/16/1894); born in Natick, went to Natick HS, Phillips Exeter Academy and Harvard. Played briefly for the 1920 Buffalo All-Americans.

Why was he in single coverage. Why.

Is the story there that Junior Seau saw the coverage and wanted to call a time-out, but that Rodney told him to let the defense run as called?

And that Criminally Bogus PI call against Hobbs was Huge...It wasn't a 3rd-down play, but had PI not been called the next snap would've been made on 3rd down/6 or 7...If unsuccessful there the Clots would've most likely attempted a FG...Take away 4 points from them, and add 4 points to us because of the DPI that SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED against the Clot DB draped ALL OVER Bug Eye's arm in the EZ...

More May 16 Birthdays

Happy 34th birthday to Derrick Martin
Born May 16, 1985 in Denver
Patriot safety, 2012; uniform #26
Signed as a veteran free agent on August 4, 2012

Derrick Martin was a special teams ace, playing in 73 regular season games over eight NFL seasons with four starts. The Ravens drafted Martin in the sixth round of the 2006 draft out of Wyoming. After three seasons in Baltimore he spent two with the Packers, then one each with the Giants, Patriots and Bears. Martin received Super Bowl rings in 2010 and 2011 with Green Bay and New York.

derrick%2Bmartin.jpg

In 2012 Martin was let go by the Patriots during roster cuts at the end of training camp, but was re-signed in mid-season when Sterling Moore was released. Martin appeared in five games for the Pats in 2012, the first coming in a 37-31 victory over the Bills in week ten.

Sterling Moore never, Ever should've been released in favor of this useless STs "ace."

Per Rodney Harrison, it was the late great Seau who made the call to blitz which left Ellis on Burress Island....allegedly.

Maybe I have it backwards then, and it was Rodney who wanted to call time-out...

Is the story there that Junior Seau saw the coverage and wanted to call a time-out, but that Rodney told him to let the defense run as called?

And that Criminally Bogus PI call against Hobbs was Huge...It wasn't a 3rd-down play, but had PI not been called the next snap would've been made on 3rd down/6 or 7...If unsuccessful there the Clots would've most likely attempted a FG...Take away 4 points from them, and add 4 points to us because of the DPI that SHOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED against the Clot DB draped ALL OVER Bug Eye's arm in the EZ...
Other way around. Rodney wanted to run the defense as called but Seau called Cover-0 blitz, which left Hobbs on an island with Burress. No brainer throw for Eli.

Last edited:
Per Rodney Harrison, it was the late great Seau who made the call to blitz which left Ellis on Burress Island....allegedly.
The All-out Blitz was called by the coaches (i.e. Dean Pees), Rodney (according to him) wanted to check to a cover-2 so he could help double cover Plaxico Burress who was matched up with Ellis Hobbs, but Seau chose to stick with the original play-call.

The All-out Blitz was called by the coaches (i.e. Dean Pees), Rodney (according to him) wanted to check to a cover-2 so he could help double cover Plaxico Burress who was matched up with Ellis Hobbs, but Seau chose to stick with the original play-call.
Agreed but the defensive leader makes the final check on the field based off what they see before the snap. Especially highly respected vets such as Seau & Harrison.. in the SB for that matter.

Last edited:

Agreed but the defensive leader makes the final check on the field based off what they see before the snap. Especially highly respected vets such as Seau & Harrison.. in the SB for that matter.

Granted this is with the benefit of hindsight, but with that type of uncertainty in such a critical situation a timeout should have been called. Having a third timeout would have been no help to the offense with so little time left on the clock.

Whoops. I was off. Thanks for the correction.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back