PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matthew Slater - Hall of famer?

StockingAnarchyNumber12

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Hey guys. I recently read an article that stated Belichick saw Slater as the best to ever do it. I don't know how much of that is biased being his coach, but that's fantastic praise coming from the GOAT coach. I also heard Slater (Mccourty also) plan to return for the 2021 season which I love to hear. He's a team leader and his presence on the field and in the locker-room is priceless and will only help teach the new generation of Patriots players. My question is simple. Is he a hall of famer?

3X Superbowl Champion
9X ProBowl
Considered to be one of the premium talents at his position

And so on.. Your opinions?

Considering that Steve Tasker still isn’t in the HOF, I don’t see how Slater gets in.

EDIT: Looks like Tasker is a semi finalist for HOF this year. Once he gets in, Slater has an avenue.

Last edited:
Vinatieri isn't in. Like 10 all time candidates aren't in. Slater has 5 total tackles this year. It's really hard for him to get in.

The HOF wouldn’t be legit without AV or MS. Better get em both in or the whole thing won’t be taken seriously by real fans of the game.......

Vinatieri isn't in. Like 10 all time candidates aren't in. Slater has 5 total tackles this year. It's really hard for him to get in.

adam was playing up til last year... got 4 more years til hes eligible... maybe not on the first ballot but he will make it to Canton

as for the op... Slater is a stand out on special teams, and has been for years... but the HoF has taken a really dim view on core/full time special teamers, and the chances he makes the HoF are nil... He might get a Red Jacket one day, but never a Gold one

Hey guys. I recently read an article that stated Belichick saw Slater as the best to ever do it. I don't know how much of that is biased being his coach, but that's fantastic praise coming from the GOAT coach. I also heard Slater (Mccourty also) plan to return for the 2021 season which I love to hear. He's a team leader and his presence on the field and in the locker-room is priceless and will only help teach the new generation of Patriots players. My question is simple. Is he a hall of famer?

3X Superbowl Champion
9X ProBowl

Is Belichick biased about Slater? Obviously! As much Belichick loves to blather on about special teams, and heck, if not for special teams, there would be practically nothing to praise with his current putrid roster.

You throw up the 3x Super Bowl Champion as if Slater impacted the outcome of any of those games. Let me take a second to look up his stats... won't take long... okay, 2 tackles combined over the course of 3 games. Moreover, 11 solo tackles in 24 postseason games.

Hall of famer? No way. What's his highlight reel?... a few downed punts near the goal line? You don't make the HOF for pre-or-post game speeches. A hall of famer needs to have had significant tangible impact on game outcome. So, for example, an argument could be made for a kicker like Vinatieri. Clutch performer who directly impacted the scoreboard and the outcome of a few important games.

As much as I'm certain he'll get in, I personally wouldn't even give a second thought for Slater in the Patriots HOF. His on field role hasn't nearly been impactful enough. If I'm ranking NE players of importance over the timeframe of Slater's career, I'm not even carrying out that exercise long enough to get to him.

Let's be reasonable here, Edelman probably is not going to be an NFL hall of famer. And there is no f'ing way Slater should make the HOF over Edelman. The Patriots have had two obvious hall of famers from the past decade - Brady and Gronk. That's it. A third definitely should not be Slater.

Is Belichick biased about Slater? Obviously! As much Belichick loves to blather on about special teams, and heck, if not for special teams, there would be practically nothing to praise with his current putrid roster.

You throw up the 3x Super Bowl Champion as if Slater impacted the outcome of any of those games. Let me take a second to look up his stats... won't take long... okay, 2 tackles combined over the course of 3 games. Moreover, 11 solo tackles in 24 postseason games.

Hall of famer? No way. What's his highlight reel?... a few downed punts near the goal line? You don't make the HOF for pre-or-post game speeches. A hall of famer needs to have had significant tangible impact on game outcome. So, for example, an argument could be made for a kicker like Vinatieri. Clutch performer who directly impacted the scoreboard and the outcome of a few important games.

As much as I'm certain he'll get in, I personally wouldn't even give a second thought for Slater in the Patriots HOF. His on field role hasn't nearly been impactful enough. If I'm ranking NE players of importance over the timeframe of Slater's career, I'm not even carrying out that exercise long enough to get to him.

Let's be reasonable here, Edelman probably is not going to be an NFL hall of famer. And there is no f'ing way Slater should make the HOF over Edelman. The Patriots have had two obvious hall of famers from the past decade - Brady and Gronk. That's it. A third definitely should not be Slater.
you are just a ray of sunshine, aren't you

I'd say he has about a 20% chance. He needs the HOF voters to reassess how they view special teamers and if they do he could get in along with a wave of other special teamers including kickers, punters and gunners that have been passed over for years.

It's funny how Special teams plays a significant role in every game but is valued less than a cheerleading squad.
Agreed. Players like Slater are marginalized. A « very good » CB has a better shot than an alltime STer.

3X Superbowl Champion
9X ProBowl

I didn't realize they both said they would play next year. Great news.

you are just a ray of sunshine, aren't you
Slater is completely overrated in New England (see comment: "if he doesn't define excellence I don't know who does"). Ditto Devin McCourty but that's another conversation. If not for the dynasty, and competitiveness annually with deep postseason runs, no one outside of New England would have a clue about Slater. Okay he's a good special teams player, or better than good, whatever I don't want to quibble over how well he performs, the point is his role is very limited. Especially with the rule changes that been in effect for nearly a decade. In 2011, the first year with kickoffs moved up to the 35, the percentage of touchbacks jumped from 15% to 45%. Now the percentage is up to 60%. There are even fewer punts returned. This season NE opponents have returned 8 punts. 8! Slater plays a very low percentage of plays in a game and many of those plays require him to literally do nothing.

As I said before, the Patriots will have two HOF inductees from the past decade... Brady and Gronk. There's no way Slater belongs in the same company as Brady and Gronk. Edelman is unlikely to make the Hall, even though you probably could state his case with a straight face, and if Edelman's not getting in, there's no way Slater should be there.

Slater singlehandedly erased the threat of guys like Devin Hester etc. but that goes unnoticed and will not give him an avenue to the Hall even though he deserves it.

Slater is completely overrated in New England (see comment: "if he doesn't define excellence I don't know who does"). Ditto Devin McCourty but that's another conversation. If not for the dynasty, and competitiveness annually with deep postseason runs, no one outside of New England would have a clue about Slater. Okay he's a good special teams player, or better than good, whatever I don't want to quibble over how well he performs, the point is his role is very limited. Especially with the rule changes that been in effect for nearly a decade. In 2011, the first year with kickoffs moved up to the 35, the percentage of touchbacks jumped from 15% to 45%. Now the percentage is up to 60%. There are even fewer punts returned. This season NE opponents have returned 8 punts. 8! Slater plays a very low percentage of plays in a game and many of those plays require him to literally do nothing.

As I said before, the Patriots will have two HOF inductees from the past decade... Brady and Gronk. There's no way Slater belongs in the same company as Brady and Gronk. Edelman is unlikely to make the Hall, even though you probably could state his case with a straight face, and if Edelman's not getting in, there's no way Slater should be there.
someone got coal for christmas!

Slater singlehandedly erased the threat of guys like Devin Hester etc. but that goes unnoticed and will not give him an avenue to the Hall even though he deserves it.
Slater went "head-to-head" with Hester only twice. The first time, Hester had a 61-yard kickoff return. Slater never registered a tackle of Hester in their careers.

Hester by the way is one of very few special teamers who actually deserves HOF consideration.

And NFL rule changes have erased the threat of guys like Hester.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back