PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matthew Slater - Hall of famer?

Slater is completely overrated in New England
Who overates Slater? He is an absolute stud at special teams which is the reason why he is a 9x Pro Bowler. He is also a team leader. Patriots fans understand that his role is limited and no one is arguing he is as important as Edelman or numerous other players. The question is if someone in a specialty role like his should be considered for the HOF due to his continued excellence. So far the HOF committee has not seriously considered gunners but if that changes with Tasker then Slater has a legitimate chance. The fact he is more likely to make the HOF than someone like James White does not mean he was more important to the dynasty and I have yet to see anyone argue he is.

Last edited:
I am hopeful slater comes back next season.

when he does finally hang them up, he needs to be included in the hall of fame next to his father!

Who overates Slater? He is an absolute stud
You, for starters. Also the guy who just said he needs to be in the HOF because his father was a great player.

So are we putting Troy Brown in the HOF for his special teams contributions? Because Troy accomplished more than Slater on special teams. Troy also has 500+ receptions and 30+ touchdowns on his resume.

Who's the best long snapper in the league? If we're going to recognize every position, no matter how comparatively unimportant it is, then hunt down the best long snapper in the league and throw him in the HOF too.

absolutely no...has Slater ever blocked a punt, field goal, forced a fumble, recovered a fumble, scored a TD in a playoff game? this is an honest question bc I can't recall Slater making a big play in a playoff game or even a "big" late season game...but troy Brown has

Last edited:
Get ready for the crickets.

He was AFC special teams player of the week once.

There's only one punter in the Pro Football HoF, and just two kickers (only one until three years ago). For that matter there are just eleven safeties. Players that don't have easily accessible stats (DT, S, ST) will always be passed over.

A gunner on special teams is not going to gain entrance to the Hall in my lifetime unless he buys a ticket. Expect the trend of a proportional surplus of QBs, WRs and RBs to continue.

HoF- YES

giphy.gif
\

No way. He's going to get a red jacket, but I would wager he will be behind a bunch of guys on that as well. There's going to be a log jam for red jackets if they are only doing one per year. Of this most recent run, Brady, Gronk, Edelman, Hightower, Devin McCourty are for sure in. James White and Slate would be next. Ninkovich. Make a strong chase for Patrick Chung. Gostkowski. Hell, Wilfork is in this bunch, he's going to get in. Vrabel has been a finalist the last five years. Belichick is going to retire and he will get in as soon as he's eligible. That will bump someone else another year.

What a time to be a Pats fan. We are so far removed from the days of "John Hannah is our only hall of famer".

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back